• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

expert opinions on the B200 (Turbo) please :)

Guest calp

Hi guys,

Aft selling my beloved e200 masterpiece, and enjoying the public transport system for the last 3 weeks. I am constantly on the look for a good 3-4 year old merc; but having gone thru some ads/friends&dealers, I am kinda' split between a w203 c class (sport edition) or a B class (yom 2006-2007-2008).

I more or less know C class, but having just sit in my friend's B170 couple of times, I've got interested in this new kid on the block as well. Great leg room, nice interior and sun-roof... cool... and family friendly... :)

I guess in Singapore, B200 Turbo tops the range, so I wanna know more abt this one:

any owners out there?

(Hopefully I'll get some response, although I know very few of you join our GTGs on Sundays. :bounce:)

any inputs?

especially abt possible maintenance issues (some air-con probs?) ,

Fuel consumption,

and oil consumption (turbos 'drink' oil, huh? :becky:).

performance? (driven a Q5 2.0quattro for a short while, but that's all I know abt turbo engines. any comparison?)

is this turbo engine by any chance related to the engines used in new generation C and E classes?

cabin noise? (sun roof= more noise? that I noticed in Q5)

etc?

Thanks in advance,

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

B-class engine is certainly different from the C-class. B-class engine would be more similar to the A-class; an unconventionally curve shape engine that will slide under the driver's feet in a frontal collision.

Guest bbwannabe

Hi, ex-owner of W203 Sports Edition (2007), presently W211 (2007). I tested the B200 Turbo when I sold off my W203. Finally decided on W211, for good reasons too.

Avoid the B200 Turbo like the plague for god's sake. The build quality is shabby and IMHO worst than most modern Japanese car. Search in the forum, there should be a lot of articles about the 'oven smell' from B-classes. I really feel that it doesn't live up to the Merc badge.

Don't be lured in by the 'power'. It produces power that cannot be (IMHO) felt during normal driving condition; the turbo is just too high up in the Revs. The front-wheel drive doesn't help at all, handling is terrible and power delivery is underwhelming. The CVT is nice but I feel it contributes to the poor power delivery.

Well else the W203 is a different case! Even though the build quality is nothing like the W204 or W212 this era. It was quite 'Merc' like. Plenty of convenience functions, well built, nice little power, RWD like a proper Merc. Get the C200 or higher and you will love the added functions (Parktronic, Thermotronic, a bit more power). The price difference should be neligible (1 year ago, the price difference was 1-3K only! That is the price of an engine tune up.) Take it from an ex-owner, its nice. The only prominent problem is the "internal door handle" that likes to fall off. $100 fix every 2 years? Haha...

Hmm... have you considered the W211 (Pre-FL)? Esp the NGT editions? Helps a little with the wallet. No general problems but I hate the vibrator brakes. That is why I opt for the W211 (FL). Otherwise, the cushier ride, bigger space (C is abit crap for 5 adults) and prestige should win you over. ;P

bbwannabe wrote:

Hi, ex-owner of W203 Sports Edition (2007), presently W211 (2007). I tested the B200 Turbo when I sold off my W203. Finally decided on W211, for good reasons too.

Avoid the B200 Turbo like the plague for god's sake. The build quality is shabby and IMHO worst than most modern Japanese car. Search in the forum, there should be a lot of articles about the 'oven smell' from B-classes. I really feel that it doesn't live up to the Merc badge.

Don't be lured in by the 'power'. It produces power that cannot be (IMHO) felt during normal driving condition; the turbo is just too high up in the Revs. The front-wheel drive doesn't help at all, handling is terrible and power delivery is underwhelming. The CVT is nice but I feel it contributes to the poor power delivery.

Well else the W203 is a different case! Even though the build quality is nothing like the W204 or W212 this era. It was quite 'Merc' like. Plenty of convenience functions, well built, nice little power, RWD like a proper Merc. Get the C200 or higher and you will love the added functions (Parktronic, Thermotronic, a bit more power). The price difference should be neligible (1 year ago, the price difference was 1-3K only! That is the price of an engine tune up.) Take it from an ex-owner, its nice. The only prominent problem is the "internal door handle" that likes to fall off. $100 fix every 2 years? Haha...

Hmm... have you considered the W211 (Pre-FL)? Esp the NGT editions? Helps a little with the wallet. No general problems but I hate the vibrator brakes. That is why I opt for the W211 (FL). Otherwise, the cushier ride, bigger space (C is abit crap for 5 adults) and prestige should win you over. ;P

Thanks for the comprehensive reply+review of the two cars; very much appreciated... :)

W211 is nice, but I feel like it has a large footprint on the road and at the car park, similar to my w124 e200... .:becky:

I want something smaller... more manageable in terms of size... c200 it is... :bounce:

Sorry guys, I have been driving the B200 Turbo for 7months, got it 2nd hand in May 2010. I simply loves the ride and the build. The build is not like any Japanese car, but maybe not as good as the rest of the C or E class, but it is value for money. You can't expect Prada when you pay only Bonia or something.

Just gotten back from KL, the car feel great on NS highway, I managed to hit a speed of 210km/h within seconds.....I really enjoy the ride. Yes there was an issue of Oven Burning Smell, but mine is gone already, I had it when I first gotten the car, but as my mechanic says, it is the cat converter, once it is run in, it will not happen again. In this trip to KL, I didn't encounter any burn smell. The road holding is great too. If you are looking for a comfortable 5 seater ride, go for the B, the C is way too small. Not forgetting 0-100km/h in 7.8 seconds

calp wrote:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply+review of the two cars; very much appreciated... :)

W211 is nice, but I feel like it has a large footprint on the road and at the car park, similar to my w124 e200... .:becky:

I want something smaller... more manageable in terms of size... c200 it is... :bounce:

I got a B200 but not turbo but I never felt it's really an inferior ride....ride is ok, just a bit tall but the best deal, it's extremely spacious n no problem for any long journey picnic. Oven smell, I never felt it at all. However, if to compare to C, then of course different cos I'm also driving a C180ML n C180CGI. Its not fair to compare the 2 together.

Only problem I have for my B200 is car wash. It's a hatch but a lot of them categorize it as MPV because of it's size. It's a hatch.....

Guest bbwannabe

Haha... not wanting to further provoke any B-Class owners, I hereby offer my humble apologies to all that I have offended..

However, my personal opinion still stands. It could have built better with better materials. Just see the new incoming B-Class and you will understand or any other merc from that era. It is just... different?

In any case, I feel that B170 might be a better choice if you like the space and design. My friend drives one and it is really big inside and the comfort is not bad. B170 will do what the higher model will do but it helps the bottomline.

• 5 years later...
On 26 December 2010 at 10:57 AM, Guest george said:

Sorry guys, I have been driving the B200 Turbo for 7months, got it 2nd hand in May 2010. I simply loves the ride and the build. The build is not like any Japanese car, but maybe not as good as the rest of the C or E class, but it is value for money. You can't expect Prada when you pay only Bonia or something.

Just gotten back from KL, the car feel great on NS highway, I managed to hit a speed of 210km/h within seconds.....I really enjoy the ride. Yes there was an issue of Oven Burning Smell, but mine is gone already, I had it when I first gotten the car, but as my mechanic says, it is the cat converter, once it is run in, it will not happen again. In this trip to KL, I didn't encounter any burn smell. The road holding is great too. If you are looking for a comfortable 5 seater ride, go for the B, the C is way too small. Not forgetting 0-100km/h in 7.8 seconds

calp wrote:

Hi George, where do you service your ride? I'm driving a B200 Turbo too. I'm having some ignition and engine idling problems.