mike9956

w221 year 2009 - Unintentional Gear change

4 posts in this topic

Hi friends, Good day .  I have a W221 year 2009.  I encountered while driving, the dashboard display suddenly shows Drive -with 2 or 1 on the right side of the display. The car unintentionally shifted down to 2 or 1 gear, even though I am on 'S' mode.  I had to pull to a stop and then manual shift from Drive to Neutral. Shift back to Drive and move off without further problem. I have 8 more months to scrap and trying to 'ta-han' as long as practical. Recently, such occurrence became more frequent and I am concern about safety.

Appreciate guidance or tips on the likely cause and solution

Thank you 

Transmission ECU may be giving way. Damage for a new one approx $2.8k

Do a scan first. If lucky, problem may be as simple as just only a wheel speed sensor.

Hi J888, Thank you so much for your suggestion.

May I know where are the wheel speed sensor located and how many sensor are there ?

Cheers...mike

Hi, 

4 speed sensor wires once at each wheel. Speed sensors/steering angle sensor faults are usually associated with ESP and ABS, and/or run flat. 

Seems like yours is a GB issues. If u don’t intend to renew COE, probably pray car could last till COE expires. Once u put in money to repair or overhaul GB, likely u will start to comtempkate renewing COE.