• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Impossible to turn on Fog Lamps when set to Auto Light Mode (W204) ??

Guest echodeltax

Guest echodeltax

I just noticed that when i set to Auto Light Mode, i cannot turn on my Fog Lamps!!

Is it possible to just turn on Fog Lamps only without turning on my head-lights??

I saw some other cars like to turn on Fog Lamps and the small head-lights only. I tried doing the same for my new C-180. But is impossible for me to do so!!... strange??? I tried pulling and pulling also cannot turn on the Fog Lamps without first turning on the main head-lights.

Bros here, pls advice... Thanks!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest angela

correct, you can't turn on fog lamps in auto mode. (i believe this is due to the fact that in europe got strict rules about fog lamps turning on once u put the lights to auto mode cuz it "blinds other motorists etc."

mercedes and many other car makes do not allow you to just turn on the fog lights without at least your "small" lights on.

you can turn the dial clock wise 2x counting from 12-o-clock, that will turn on the small head-lights and den pull the dial out towards to you to turn on the fog lamps. it works for W203, i believe W204 is the same, didn't try it out during the MB driving experience though.

Guest Sareve

Doesn't work, you gotta turn all the way to the right before you can turn on the fog lamps. I don't understand why you would want to just turn on your fog lamps without turning on your headlights though. Some cars can do this, but not mercs.

Guest funng

Doesn't work, you gotta turn all the way to the right before you can turn on the fog lamps. I don't understand why you would want to just turn on your fog lamps without turning on your headlights though. Some cars can do this, but not mercs.

hmm.. can be done on my E. Turn on small lights first before pulling outward for foglamps is the way i do it.

but my 2 cents worth is that, the fog lamps colour not so nice also unless you're your small lights are the same colour ( I'm doing bi-xenon on the headlights, so the small lights is white, then the foglamps is "traditional orange/yellow" lights.

Guest blackmercs

Fog lamp should be left as it is at yellow. A white fog light will be lost in fog and not be effective.

Oops too late, change mine to white, nowadays the rain is so heavy, i turn on my front and back foglight for highway driving. Btw is illegal to turn on yr fog light in Sillypore rite?

Guest angela

Oops too late, change mine to white, nowadays the rain is so heavy, i turn on my front and back foglight for highway driving. Btw is illegal to turn on yr fog light in Sillypore rite?

taken from LTA website

(B) The front fog lamps must cast a white or yellow light.

(d) The front fog lamps can only be switched on if the front and rear position lamps are switched on. The rear fog lamps can only be switched on when the front headlamps are switched on.

(e) There should be separate switches for switching the headlamps and fog lamps on. The switches must be constructed such that switching on the position lamps or headlamps do not automatically switch on the fog lamps.

another page

Q What are the penalties if motorists abuse the use of fog lamps?

A Motorists who abuse the use of fog lamps are liable, upon conviction, to a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months for first offence. Repeat offenders are liable, upon conviction, to a fine of up to $2,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

Q Why is the use of fog lamps allowed only during adverse weather conditions?

A Under normal weather conditions, be it in the day or at night, there is no need to switch on the fog lamps. This is because the light emitted from vehicle headlamps is sufficient to illuminate the road ahead. Switching on front fog lamps will not further improve forward vision under clear weather conditions. Some drivers have provided feedback that front fog lamps, when switched on indiscriminately, are intimidating and cause added stress to the driver in front. Switching on rear fog lamps unnecessarily may also cause confusion to motorists travelling behind you as the intense red light emitted could be mistaken as the brake light.

Guest angela

i tried again just now... Confirm cannot turn on the small lights and fog lights for W204....

only main lights (max right turn) and fog lights together.

interesting. than how about trying main lights + fog lights, den u turn once to the left to get small lights and fogs?

im not sure if it will drop back like in the W203, when i turn from small / mains to auto mode...

Guest angela

Hey fog light anyhow turn on will kana fine one leh...jus becareful ah :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum: :pray: :pray:

last time got so many cars only turn on fogs + small lights... there was a period it was the "in thing"... after that the TP fine fine fine! den now you only get the occasional driver who does that...

Guest blackmercs

Hey fog light anyhow turn on will kana fine one leh...jus becareful ah :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum: :pray: :pray:

last time got so many cars only turn on fogs + small lights... there was a period it was the "in thing"... after that the TP fine fine fine! den now you only get the occasional driver who does that...

Yes Sillypore is a FINE country!!!!

Guest echodeltax

How about raining?? Even if not raining heavily can turn on right??

Guest angela

How about raining?? Even if not raining heavily can turn on right??

i recall once i heard on radio 987fm was saying, "now singapore have fog, it is legal to turn on your fog lamps, turn them on, turn them on! one of the few chances only!"

i think raining heavily can turn on bah, rain so heavy also wont distract no one... but i dun really like drivers who turn on their rear fog lamps. was blinded a few times by this black e200 driven by a lady and a black audi a6... inconsiderate...

Guest kepiting1sg

I guess we W211 abit luckier - our respective R or L fog lamp lights up when we a sharp turn on the steering from the Intelligent Light System. I guess this automatic lighting up probably no fine from LTA. ;D

Guest echodeltax

I guess we W211 abit luckier - our respective R or L fog lamp lights up when we a sharp turn on the steering from the Intelligent Light System. I guess this automatic lighting up probably no fine from LTA. ;D

WOW!! Awesome!! i wonder if my new C-180 come with this feature or not??

but then hor how you know is working or not?? somebody must be outside to see for you. hehehe...

Guest angela

echodeltax ]

I guess we W211 abit luckier - our respective R or L fog lamp lights up when we a sharp turn on the steering from the Intelligent Light System. I guess this automatic lighting up probably no fine from LTA. wrote:

but then hor how you know is working or not?? somebody must be outside to see for you. hehehe...

new C class should have the feature, i recall someone telling me about it during last year's MB driving experience.. but the FL W211 was the first to get it i think... i've seen it on Funng's, SY69U and Jenvid's E class and Jun's SLK, and it makes me green eyeeed...

when u turn on the fog lamps, you should notice a slight area inbetween the front road and your bonnet being lit up, use that as a marking. funng did say it was a tad distracting at first...

Guest Sareve

if got fog can turn on fog lamps... we should call them rain lamps, then raining sure can turn on!! hahaha...

It is my understanding that it is legal to turn on the fog lamps when it's raining because they are to be used during adverse weather conditions. I find that mercs don't need the fog lamps at all because their rear lights and brake lights are already ridiculously glaring, so much so that I don't like to drive behind them. Plus the rear fog lamps just look ugly, it's just this super bright red light on 1 side of the car.

I think some other cars need it though, esp if they're very low and are kinda grey or bluish in colour. I remember driving on the expressway behind my friend and I couldn't see his car at all even though he was only around 10 metres in front of me because the spray and the rain had completely obscured his car.

Anyway I don't think the cops are going to be able to catch you if you turn on your fog lamps, just turn them off if you see them infront of you!

Guest echodeltax

sillywilly ]

I guess we W211 abit luckier - our respective R or L fog lamp lights up when we a sharp turn on the steering from the Intelligent Light System. I guess this automatic lighting up probably no fine from LTA. wrote:

new C class should have the feature, i recall someone telling me about it during last year's MB driving experience.. but the FL W211 was the first to get it i think... i've seen it on Funng's, SY69U and Jenvid's E class and Jun's SLK, and it makes me green eyeeed...

when u turn on the fog lamps, you should notice a slight area inbetween the front road and your bonnet being lit up, use that as a marking. funng did say it was a tad distracting at first...

Wow!! Another secret of my new C-Class that i yet to discover!!

Guest angela

echodeltax ]

Wow!! Another secret of my new C-Class that i yet to discover!!

sorry bro, its an optional feature i guess. if you didn' wrote:

from the mercedes singapore website[/url]

The optional Intelligent Light System is new in the C-Class. The low-beam headlamps based on the bi-xenon headlamp system with active light function automatically adapts to the respective driving situation. For instance, the illumination is wider on a country road, while on motorways the range is increased significantly. The Intelligent Light System also features enhanced fog lamps as well as active light, which the headlamps use to follow the movement of the steering wheel and better light the road. Another feature is the cornering light function, which provides optimal lighting when turning.

Guest echodeltax

ya, think you need to pay for it...think the sport amg version has it! go for it man, we wait to see from ur ride hehehe :punk1: :punk1: :punk1:

alamak!! i didnt know about all these extra goodies features in a C-Class lah... should have check out more from this website than i can bargain from my SE!!... now too late must pay $$$ already if want to install.

my new car is really sooo basic..... soooo "raw" no other additional features.

another thing is that i should have also requested for is the front parking sensor and the boot auto-close function. i didnt know got so many goodies that can be installed. that time too gan-cheong, buy too fast already!!