• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Audio In-Car Entertainment for 2017 GLA180

Hi all out there! 

Im a newbie here and would really appreciate if any kind soul out there can help to solve my enquiry..:angel:

I just put deposit for a new facelift GLA180, expecting delivery some time in Nov. As it comes wz free I.C E loaded with Apple Carplay, i was quite excited till the SE told me only for iphone user..😐 As a Samsung hp user, it seems that im not able to fully make use of I.C.E.. especially after watching this video 

I msg the SE and he said the whole Asia cars are not fitted with AA yet..is it true..? And ive to connect my android hp via BT, cannot do messaging and cant use google map. Ive to use iphone in order to use map...As such, im not able to fully utilise the I.C.E....Otherwise, in order to fully make use of it, i would hv to switch to iphone after so many years as an android hp user..😓😓

Would greatly appreciate for some advice if there's way to install AP? Or android hp user out there, how do you use the I.C.E at the best capacity?

• 3 weeks later...

I need to put a caveat first... I don't have CLA. I booked another model and Apple Carplay is NOT enabled for my model because they told me they catering the GLA for the younger demographics..... sigh/dunno whether to cry or laugh or angry.

anyway I found out that it is possible to still have it but entails some work:

1. Get the site sponsors of this forum to do a modifications. Probably the most expensive option.

2. Check around the internet. Hearsay is that my SE told me that if you download Andriod Auto from another country like US... it will work. 

3. The other method is to connect the phone via USB. This method not proven but again was an advice given to me.

p/s: I am collecting my car next week.

For andriod users, you can go to this apk website http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto to download andriod auto into your phone. (Android auto is not available in singapore google playstore.)

Once installed, you will be able use your phone as the Android auto device usi g your phone mic and speaker and phone display.

If you connect your phone to your car Bluetooth, Voice command and audio output will be through your car speaker and mic. Visual will still be your phone only, cannot project to your car display.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingfisher07 said:

For andriod users, you can go to this apk website http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto to download andriod auto into your phone. (Android auto is not available in singapore google playstore.)

Once installed, you will be able use your phone as the Android auto device usi g your phone mic and speaker and phone display.

If you connect your phone to your car Bluetooth, Voice command and audio output will be through your car speaker and mic. Visual will still be your phone only, cannot project to your car display.

Hi Hi.

Pardon my ignorance, but downloading the AA app on your Android phone is one part, wouldn't it also require the same App to be available on the ICE?

Hmm..according to my research on youtube, in some countries esp USA, first have to download the android app apk in hp. After which, the screen does able to see the function thru ICE just like apple play. However, spore app store does not offer the app. So may hv to try out the link that posted by Kingfisher07 🤔

If any one out there getting your ride soon pls share your experience for any method use😁😁

What I gathered on AA official website (https://www.android.com/auto/)

What you need

On your phone
To use Android Auto on your phone phone screen, you’ll need an Android phone running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher and the Android Auto app.

In your car
To use Android Auto on your car’s in-dash display, you’ll need an Android Auto compatible vehicle or aftermarket stereo, an Android phone running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher and the Android Auto app.

So key question is, is the ICE AA compatible?

23 hours ago, ToMIL said:

Hi Hi.

Pardon my ignorance, but downloading the AA app on your Android phone is one part, wouldn't it also require the same App to be available on the ICE?

No, you do not require the AA app in the ICE. (If you could download AA app into ICE, then you would be able to cmuse AA directly from the ICE and we won't have this problem posted in this forum... Lol)

The Phone AA works in the exact same way as you play your phone audio (eg music, phone calls) to your car ICE via Bluetooth connection.

Phone Bluetooth connect to Car Bluetooth. Phone sound output transmit to car via Bluetooth and you hear it from your car speaker. (Mp3 music, phone calls,). Phone DO NOT transmit Visuals to car via Bluetooth. ONLY AUDIO is transmitted.

You can use the Google voice commands in the phone AA by saying "Ok Google", wiat for Google assistant to response to you "what can I do for you",  then u say "navigate to Changi airport", next your phone  will open Google map and show u the navigations to Changi airport on your phone display.

Bonus tip1: the alternative to activate Google assistant by saying "ok google" would be to press the "mic" button on your steering wheel control.

Bonus tip2: you can say "Ok Google what's app David see you at 5pm later." And AA will send the David the what's app message! Hands free! Free voice command vs the $10k command line option Upgrade!

Go download and explore the app, it's very productive and fun even without the visuals to the car heads up display! 

9 hours ago, ToMIL said:

What I gathered on AA official website (https://www.android.com/auto/)

What you need

On your phone
To use Android Auto on your phone phone screen, you’ll need an Android phone running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher and the Android Auto app.

In your car
To use Android Auto on your car’s in-dash display, you’ll need an Android Auto compatible vehicle or aftermarket stereo, an Android phone running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher and the Android Auto app.

So key question is, is the ICE AA compatible?

At this early adoption stage by car manufactures of apple carplay or ANDRIOD auto, this ICE function is still not a standard feature in Singapore. Probably still considered a premium feature that needs to pay $$$$ to the authorized dealer or $$ to the third party installer risking your warranty.

Maybe this will be standard feature in all cars in few years time just like having cameras in mobile phone.

2 hours ago, kingfisher07 said:

No, you do not require the AA app in the ICE. (If you could download AA app into ICE, then you would be able to cmuse AA directly from the ICE and we won't have this problem posted in this forum... Lol)

The Phone AA works in the exact same way as you play your phone audio (eg music, phone calls) to your car ICE via Bluetooth connection.

Phone Bluetooth connect to Car Bluetooth. Phone sound output transmit to car via Bluetooth and you hear it from your car speaker. (Mp3 music, phone calls,). Phone DO NOT transmit Visuals to car via Bluetooth. ONLY AUDIO is transmitted.

You can use the voice commands in the phone AA by saying "Ok Google", wiat for Google assistant to response to you "what can I do for you",  then u say "navigate to Changi airport", next it will open Google map and show u the navigations to Changi airport.

Bonus tip1: the alternative to activate Google assistant by saying "ok google" would be to press the "mic" button on your steering wheel control.

Bonus tip2: you can say "Ok Google what's app David see you at 5pm later." And AA will send the David the what's app message! Hands free! Free voice command vs the $10k command line option Upgrade!

Go download and explore the app, it's very productive and fun even without the visuals to the car heads up display! 

hmm.....even without the AA app on the phone, just by doing a Bluetooth sync to the ICE, doesn't it give me the same functionality to project audio over the car speaker? or are you saying with the AA app on the phone, the audio and visual will be paired to the ICE and you can have (e.g.) the google map on the 8-inch display?

10 hours ago, ToMIL said:

hmm.....even without the AA app on the phone, just by doing a Bluetooth sync to the ICE, doesn't it give me the same functionality to project audio over the car speaker? or are you saying with the AA app on the phone, the audio and visual will be paired to the ICE and you can have (e.g.) the google map on the 8-inch display?

"hmm.....even without the AA app on the phone, just by doing a Bluetooth sync to the ICE, doesn't it give me the same functionality to project audio over the car speaker?"

Yes. You are only using the Bluetooth sync to project phone audio to iCE audio. Exactly the same as beaming your phone music to your Bluetooth speaker or home audio system.

"ororare you saying with the AA app on the phone, the audio and visual will be paired to the ICE and you can have (e.g.) the google map on the 8-inch display? "

Only phone audio  to iCE audio, no visuals sync to ice visuals even u have Google map installed on iCE. (You want both audio and visuals sync to ice, u need AA to be installed in your ICE and Phone. Same requirements when syncing between a Mac app and a iPhone app for example.)