• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W205 window rattling sound (driver's side)

marcolarco

Anyone encountered the following?

Window rattling sound on the driver's side. Wind down the window just an mm or two lower and the rattling sound disappears.

Seems like others have encountered it.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/589755-rattling-driver-side-window-glass.html

If anyone has experience and/or fixing this on their own, do let me know.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine got the same problem. Done lubrication twice and adjusted the window but sound still there. It was gone for a while after they fix but immediately that evening it came back. One temperary solution is to lower the window slightly and the sound will be gone. Still looking for a time to go back to fix again. Quite time consuming.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For my case, the rattling sound first appeal when it's about 10k mileage, as it's minimal, only request to check during 15k servicing, they claim that they had tighten some screw in there. It reappeal again when it's 18-19k millage but still minimal.

After a KL trip and did a maintainance for the glass coating for the car, it's become very obvious and unacceptable, maybe it went through some UV light when drying the glass coating, hence send it in for checking in the Eunos service centre, during testing, they found out some small noise from the suspension and said will change the don't know what suspension buffer for me.

After they took my car for 2 days, only lubrication is done as they claimed nothing can be found which went wrong that cause the sound, they changed the suspension buffer though.

It's already been a week since the lubrication and so far no rattling sound is heard, hopefully it will not be back so soon. According to the adviser my case is his first case for this rattling sound.

Any bro here get the problem solve for once?

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is starting to come back, after five months. The noise is more obvious when the weather is hot, still quiet during the morning and evening times when I normally drive the car. I read in the link in my first post that there appears to be an advisory now. Perhaps someone can try?

Reproduced from http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/589755-rattling-driver-side-window-glass-3.html#post6660443

-------

cbeta's Avatarcbeta , Yesterday 01:38 PM

Serviced 12/29/2015, Possible fix

I was told by the local dealership about a service bulletin to address this sound and it appears to be working just fine in my car. They wrote on the service sheet some code: (LI72.00-p-061833) which involves the installation of some sort of adhesive tape and additional lubrication in the guide rails. They performed it on all 4 windows. Let's hope it doesn't comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I wanted to give an update, in case it helps you guys.

I got my rattling sound fixed in August. In recent weeks, I started noticing a slight rattling sound returning in some situations, especially when I drive the car in hot weather. Yesterday the issue was at its worst, rattling sound throughout after I drove my car out at noon time, and it was as if someone was tapping on the window - it was that loud and everyone in the car could hear it. When I reached home, I immediately made an appointment with Mercedes Benz to get this sorted out. Slots were fully booked, so I chose a Wed slot.

But then I thought about it - the night before, I lubricated the rubber seals, and things were still okay then. So I decided to try wiping down the seals. At the felt trim at the top edge of the door, where I used to be able to replicate the issue by stuffing tissue into the folds, I wiped off a whole lot of grime. Surprise! Rattling sound is all gone! I baked my car outdoors today - NO SOUND! Not even a slight sound. I might cancel my Wed appointment after all. 

So my current premise is that since the fix at the workshop, grime had been gradually building up under the felt trim fold, just like how I could replicate the sound by stuffing tissue under the fold.  

Hi all, I wanted to give an update, in case it helps you guys.

I got my rattling sound fixed in August. In recent weeks, I started noticing a slight rattling sound returning in some situations, especially when I drive the car in hot weather. Yesterday the issue was at its worst, rattling sound throughout after I drove my car out at noon time, and it was as if someone was tapping on the window - it was that loud and everyone in the car could hear it. When I reached home, I immediately made an appointment with Mercedes Benz to get this sorted out. Slots were fully booked, so I chose a Wed slot.

But then I thought about it - the night before, I lubricated the rubber seals, and things were still okay then. So I decided to try wiping down the seals. At the felt trim at the top edge of the door, where I used to be able to replicate the issue by stuffing tissue into the folds, I wiped off a whole lot of grime. Surprise! Rattling sound is all gone! I baked my car outdoors today - NO SOUND! Not even a slight sound. I might cancel my Wed appointment after all. 

So my current premise is that since the fix at the workshop, grime had been gradually building up under the felt trim fold, just like how I could replicate the sound by stuffing tissue under the fold.  

Hi Marcolarco,

Do you mean wiping the fold area behind the felt trim (the v area behind the felt) or wiping the felt surface itself? Is it the top part of the door where the window touches the seal when shut? I have also been told that applying silicon lubricant on the felt itself will help. Haven't try this yet.  For my case, I have stuffed tissue into the second fold area behind the felt and into the rubber seal gap where the window shuts and that actually reduced the noise, making it occurring only once in a while. It will be good to know how to totally eliminate the noise.

I'm referring to the felt surface that faces upwards at the top of the driver's door. I did not clean the felt so far, but you will notice the felt surface can be slightly lifted up/unfolded i.e. there's a space under the whole length of the felt surface that can collect grime. This was the part that I cleaned yesterday. I had to do three passes to get it decently clean. The cloth was completely black each pass.

In the past, while troubleshooting the rattling sound, I would stuff tissue paper in that space and it would actually increase the rattling sound substantially (this part seems to be opposite of your observation). So my theory is that the grime is doing what the tissue paper used to do.

(Let me see if I can attach a picture to show what I mean!)

I'm referring to the felt surface that faces upwards at the top of the driver's door. I did not clean the felt so far, but you will notice the felt surface can be slightly lifted up/unfolded i.e. there's a space under the whole length of the felt surface that can collect grime. This was the part that I cleaned yesterday. I had to do three passes to get it decently clean. The cloth was completely black each pass.

In the past, while troubleshooting the rattling sound, I would stuff tissue paper in that space and it would actually increase the rattling sound substantially (this part seems to be opposite of your observation). So my theory is that the grime is doing what the tissue paper used to do.

(Let me see if I can attach a picture to show what I mean!)

Hi Marcolarco,

Thanks for the sharing and detail explanation. Now I understand that you are referring to the felt seal at the top of the door. I thought it is the felt lining that is between the window and the door instead (please see pic). This is the area where i stuffed the tissue in to reduce the noise. I will try out your method tomorrow and let you know the result. Thanks.

post-7003-0-92681600-1452440246_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have tried wiping the v shape area behind the felt seal at the top of the door and indeed there were alot of dirt and it did help alot in reducing the noise but not to zero. One thing I have realized is that when i first swiped my finger under a cloth through the v shape area, I could feel that the rubber was quite stiff (could be due to the dirt causing the hardening) but after several wipes, the rubber became softer and felt more elastic. I have done the wiping for all 4 doors and during my test drive, the noise was greatly reduced but I could still vividly hear some tapping sound here and there. Next, I applied some silicon lube spray on all the felt area of the door seal that touches the car body and the windows for all 4 doors and wallah, no more noise. =)

• 1 year later...