• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

w203 speaker size and HU change

Guest nismo502

Guest nismo502

Hi all,

Can you tell me what is the speaker size that comes with W203? I read somewhere in this forum that they do not come with rear speaker but I am quite sure mine has rear speakers when I put my ear against the rear door.

Also, if i want to change my headunit, is there any options that I can keep my steering control? What are the aftermarket parts that allows steering control for headunit?

Lastly, there is a subwoofer in the parcel shelf if i am not wrong, if I want to install free air woofer, what is the size that I can go up to?

Thanks all!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it is the std size. 5.25, Front is component, rear is full range. Made of paper lor..

Sub. Without cutting, think u can go up to 10inch Moral thin one. Smthg like that.

Unker Batam !!!! You are needed.. our resident W203 ICE guru. keke :punk1:

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi all,

Can you tell me what is the speaker size that comes with W203? I read somewhere in this forum that they do not come with rear speaker but I am quite sure mine has rear speakers when I put my ear against the rear door.

Also, if i want to change my headunit, is there any options that I can keep my steering control? What are the aftermarket parts that allows steering control for headunit?

Lastly, there is a subwoofer in the parcel shelf if i am not wrong, if I want to install free air woofer, what is the size that I can go up to?

Thanks all!

For my W203

I kept my original stock HU and use the signal as an auxillary signal to my after market HU.

This way U dun have to tear out the stock HU.

At the same time if U are going to play the stock HU through your after market HU,

U will still have the steering controls working.

My aftermarket HU is installed in 1 of the empty din size slot.

455038041_eb11ebf69b.jpg?v=0

For the front door speakers, U can get an installer to instal a standard 6.5" mid/woofer driver as part of a 2 way component system.

455030032_5297a0a160.jpg?v=0

Forget about the rear door speakers. They will confuse your front sound stage. So save some money on that.

For the rear, I used to have 2 x 10" subs in the rear shelf parcel in 2 sealed boxes.

Now I use a single 12" running on free air however U have to "beef" up

the rear parcel shelf to take that weight and pounding from your sub so

that U will not hear any vibration. Any good installer will know what to do.

Before & after pics of the rear parcel shelf. Yes! U need to cut it up. :)

456755098_c0f42a84de.jpg?v=0

455038037_67bcf0f00c.jpg?v=0

My current system diagram

2966160860_5116ff5495.jpg?v=0

Guest nismo502

Hi all,

Thanks all!

For my W203

I kept my original stock HU and use the signal as an auxillary signal to my after market HU.

This way U dun have to tear out the stock HU.

At the same time if U are going to play the stock HU through your after market HU,

U will still have the steering controls working.

My aftermarket HU is installed in 1 of the empty din size slot.

Forget about the rear door speakers. They will confuse your front sound stage. So save some money on that.

For the rear, I used to have 2 x 10" subs in the rear shelf parcel in 2 sealed boxes.

Now I use a single 12" running on free air however U have to "beef" up

the rear parcel shelf to take that weight and pounding from your sub so

that U will not hear any vibration. Any good installer will know what to do.

That is very very useful information bro. You have a very nice setup.

But the option of keeping stock HU is out for me as mine is a 2din :(

Would running 12" woofer on the parcel shelf requires massive drilling?

Anyway, Thanks a lot. At least I have a good direction now.

Guest kepiting1sg

Yes! The installer has to cut up your rear parcel shelf so that the 12" free air sub can be mounted.

Furthermore he will have to add some mdf board to strengthen your rear parcel shelf to prevent

vibrations from your sub when it's playing.

Guest nismo502

Yes! The installer has to cut up your rear parcel shelf so that the 12" free air sub can be mounted.

Furthermore he will have to add some mdf board to strengthen your rear parcel shelf to prevent

vibrations from your sub when it's playing.

hmm...would putting a mdf board behind the rear seat and fixing the 12" woofer firing towards the rear seat be a feasible option?

Guest kepiting1sg

hmm...would putting a mdf board behind the rear seat and fixing the 12" woofer firing towards the rear seat be a feasible option?

Anything is feasible but IMHO fixing it on the rear shelf parcel is an easier job. :)

Guest nismo502

Anything is feasible but IMHO fixing it on the rear shelf parcel is an easier job. :)

thanks. You are probably right. It just that drilling big holes on parcel shelf. It's like...drilling a hole through my heart :-[