• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

All U wanna know about COMAND - Part 2

Guest kepiting1sg

Guest kepiting1sg

COMAND-APS (NTG3)

This is the system launched with the current W221 S and W216 CL. The system has a display which is part of the main dashboard: -

COMAND-NTG3-display.jpg

With a separate Controller:-

COMAND-NTG3-controller.jpg

- it is MOST bus based like the other cars

- The display is physically seperate from the audo/navigation electroncis

- The map is held on an internal Hard disk - but has to be updated from a DVD.

- It has a rotary controller instead of a keypad to control it.

- It was the first unit to support a DAB tuner on the MOST bus (option 517)

COMAND-APS (NTG4-W204 and NTG4-W212)

First fitted to the W204 C Class, then the GLK, the W212 E class and the W207 E class coupe.

Please note the map updates etc are different for the W204 version (NTG4-W204) to the W212/W207 (NTG4-W212) systems.

COMAND-NTG4-W204.jpg

Comand NTG 4 on W212 E Class

It is somewhat like a cost reduced NTG3 system.

- it is MOST bus based

- the display is physically seperate

- it has a PCMCIA slot where you can plug in a PCMCIA device (or another with an adapter) full of MP3 music

- The map is held on an inernal Hard disk, again updated from DVD

- It has a seperate rotary controller like the NTG3.

- It has bluetooth telephone support built in, but its not particulary good at downloading the address book properly without the extra comfort-phone option.

- It supports the Media Interface - an optional interface to connect iPod (with Video support), USB, or a 3.5mm aux input. (This is Mercedes option code 518)

- It is beleive to be made by Mitsubishi.

COMAND-APS (NTG2.5)

This is a cost reduced (as far as I can see) NTG4 system all in one physical device used from Model Year 2009 in the A, B, W211-E, CLS, ML, GL, R, SL and SLK class vehicles replacing the NTG1 and NTG2 system previously fitted. It can easily be identified as the telephone hangup / pickup keys are red and green (NB, so are North American NTG1, NTG2 systems) and the soft buttons to the left and right of the display found on NTG2 are no longer present, and there is a flash slot above the DVD slot. It is expected that the Vito/Viano will get this system in late 2009. Note that the W209 CLK was never updated to NTG2.5 because it was being replaced by the W207 E class coupe.

Picture of COMAND NTG2.5 in R230 SL: -

COMAND-NTG2_5-R230.jpg

Most importantly, the unit has build in Bluetooth telephone functionality that works really well and has voice recogntion. It also has an optional DVD changer built in. With the DVD changer, the unit has the Mercedes option code 512. Without the DVD changer it still has option code 527 which can be confusing when finding parts.

It has a SD slot for MP3 files, has an internal Hard Disk to hold the map and again supports DAB radio and Media Interface options.

The rotary controller is no longer present, and the unit has a proper keypad again.

It is much nicer than the older NTG1/NTG2 systems.

It is not made by Becker any more.

The wiring for the NTG2 and NTG2.5 look very similar, however there are some major differences if trying to put a NTG2.5 unit in a NTG2 car. These include, the phone controller and linguatronic are built in, so microphone wiring needs to be routed to the COMAND and probably the old phone and linguatronic (if present) need to be removed from the MOST fibre loop. The antenna power on NTG2 cars is driven from the COMAND, on NTG2.5 cars its controlled by another control unit (Rear SAM). The FM antenna connectors are different, and the AUX wiring now connects to different poins on the multiway connector.

COMAND NTG3.5

Comand NTG3.5 is fitted to the S / CL from Model Year 2010 (i.e mid 2009 onward) replacing NTG3. It has inbuilt Bluetooth telephony.

New Telematics Generation NTG 3.5 debuts

For model year 2010 the New Telematics Generation NTG 3.5 COMAND will replace earlier NTG 3 in the S-Class and CL, with integrated Bluetooth and Sirius instead of RDS based real time traffic in North America. Few use navigation frequently.

The latest addition to the Comand family is Comand NTG 4.5Though not seen yet, it is supposed to have GPS Navigation with Google Maps & Internet Capability. They should be a current option for the new FL W204 & New CLS

Here's a video of the Comand NTG 4.5 on the latest CLS

Guest kepiting1sg

Dun be so humble lah Dr. Hansson!!!!

A big warm :welcome:

This is one poison that U must take!!!!.....hehehehe!

It's a $14,000 option only at the point of identing your ride.

CnC dun do retrofit and in the past some guys arranged for guys from UK - Mitesh

or BenzModz aka Miro from Australia to come here for the retrofit.

Currently we are fortunate since late last year we have Bro camber53 and soon to be another site sponsor ricric_lo from HK. They are the only ones in SG that can do this retrofit imho at a

very "reasonable price"

• 4 weeks later...

kepiting1sg wrote:

Dun be so humble lah Dr. Hansson!!!!

A big warm :welcome:

This is one poison that U must take!!!!.....hehehehe!

It's a $14,000 option only at the point of identing your ride.

CnC dun do retrofit and in the past some guys arranged for guys from UK - Mitesh

or BenzModz aka Miro from Australia to come here for the retrofit.

Currently we are fortunate since late last year we have Bro camber53 and soon to be another site sponsor ricric_lo from HK. They are the only ones in SG that can do this retrofit imho at a

very "reasonable price"

So what is the "reasonable price"? :Cry:

Guest kepiting1sg

kai wrote:

So what is the "reasonable price"? :Cry:

Check with the 2 site sponsors!

camber53 or ricric_lo.

IMHO

Other than these 2 guys, I dun think anyone in 1000km radius off Singapore can do this retrofit!

• 2 months later...
Guest Mangler

So Mr.Kepiting1sg..........who made the W204 NTG4 ?? Is it Bosch, Bose, Harmon Kardon or just PanaShiba ??? :becky:

Really wants to know who made my listening pleasure all these while when i'm driving.......thanks !!!

Guest kepiting1sg

Mangler wrote:

So Mr.Kepiting1sg..........who made the W204 NTG4 ?? Is it Bosch, Bose, Harmon Kardon or just PanaShiba ??? :becky:

Really wants to know who made my listening pleasure all these while when i'm driving.......thanks !!!

Probably either of the 2 COMAND sifu would be able to enlighten you i.e Camber53 or ricric_lo.

Guest Mangler

kepiting1sg wrote:

Probably either of the 2 COMAND sifu would be able to enlighten you i.e Camber53 or ricric_lo.

Paging for Camber53 or ricric_lo !!! :becky:

Help needed here........hehehehehhe

Guest Mangler

ricric_lo wrote:

The NTG4 hardware being manufactured by Mitsubishi but believe the software developed by Harman Becker while the OS is WinCE Automotive.

Cheers, Ricky

Owhhh ok.......thanks

Guest desmondtoo

Tokiu wrote:

I'm thinking of having a reverse camera installed into my car (C207). But my car got no command. Anyone can PM me the $ involved for it?

Bro, there's integrated or external type. You can check out Bro 6008's(come to this Friday's Lakopi ya), he's is integrated. You can check price with AutoSpritz in Eunos...Happy Hunting.:bounce: