• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

How to improve SQ on Audio 20?

Guest vt5sport

Guest vt5sport

Bros, can advise which is the recommended path to gain abit more headroom and bass (basically more fill) on the stock A20? Already set the treble & bass to level 8 and find that anymore the sound will distort.

Me not looking at audiophile, comp standards and not keen on installers removing the seats, door panels, cutting holes n stuff.

Any advise is appreciated. Kum sia.

• 6 months later...
Guest mvdennis

any issues with removing the door panels? i mean, some car models are notorious for removing door cards as they are usually supported by filmsy plastic clips which break off upon the slightest errors and angles (eg, Jaguar X-types, Audis ...)

Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

any issues with removing the door panels? i mean, some car models are notorious for removing door cards as they are usually supported by filmsy plastic clips which break off upon the slightest errors and angles (eg, Jaguar X-types, Audis ...)

absolutely no problems in the hands of a "good ICE installer":hand:

There are many roads to take for better ICE SQ depending on your "requirements & budget"

Guest mvdennis

kepiting1sg wrote:

absolutely no problems in the hands of a "good ICE installer":hand:

There are many roads to take for better ICE SQ depending on your "requirements & budget"

yea ... good installers would

Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

yea ... good installers would

Noteable one in my list are:-

1. New Generation AutoSound

2. Swift Motion

3. Wee Heng Auto Accessories

4. Darren Auto Accessories

5. Foon Audio Garage

6. Kings way Sound Garage

7. Season

8. Chop Yong Moh

9. Chuan Seng Auto Accessories

10. Dynasty Sound Craft

11. Hong guan autoSound

12. Nam huat Car Audio

I've used the 1st 3 extensively through the years and know the bosses of the 1st 8 on the list.

Guest mvdennis

kepiting1sg wrote:

Noteable one in my list are:-

1. New Generation AutoSound

2. Swift Motion

3. Wee Heng Auto Accessories

4. Darren Auto Accessories

5. Foon Audio Garage

6. Kings way Sound Garage

7. Season

8. Chop Yong Moh

9. Chuan Seng Auto Accessories

10. Dynasty Sound Craft

11. Hong guan autoSound

12. Nam huat Car Audio

I've used the 1st 3 extensively through the years and know the bosses of the 1st 8 on the list.

wow cool stuff! thanks mate!

which one would you personally recommend? I'm thinking of getting one of those OEM multimedia sets from China (~S$500 including shipping) that will play almost everything you throw at it.

I got a spare preamp and power amp dekitted from my previous ride ... and all i want is a good honest installer willing to put them altogether for me without telling that i need to change another 2975 things in the car to make it sound better ...

:Cry::becky:

Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

wow cool stuff! thanks mate!

which one would you personally recommend? I'm thinking of getting one of those OEM multimedia sets from China (~S$500 including shipping) that will play almost everything you throw at it.

I got a spare preamp and power amp dekitted from my previous ride ... and all i want is a good honest installer willing to put them altogether for me without telling that i need to change another 2975 things in the car to make it sound better ...

:Cry::becky:

IMHO

All these are honest ICE installers or not they would not have survived for so long on the local market. Some of them are >30 years on the scene.

U must find time to sit down with the respective boss and tell them EXACTLY what you want and what they can do for you. Then compare prices if needed (not easy, eg types of wires used (power, speaker, rca, workmanship - priceless)

If you asked for suggestions i.e if you dunno what are available for you, then there might be > 2975 things to make it sound better from them.

I do not know much of these "china replicas COMAND" and dunno who fitted them in Singapore if any.

I have my doubts that these units can have information display on the instrumental cluster.

Furthermore I also dun think it will be Plug & Play and you MIGHT have problems & complication later if you have to cut wires.

I do not want to comment further for those taking this road!

FYI - Just to retrofit the original MB COMAND Units, though it's plug & play, it also need to program the ECU to communicate with the COMAND unit for it to work and have full steering control and information display on the instrument cluster. To have the full works there another step to take is to connect the COMAND to the MB software on the lap-top through the OBD port and connect it to the MB server in Germany to go and change the data base of your MB VIN.

Up to mid 2010, no one in Singapore can retrofit MB COMAND though some GBs organized privately for foreign installer to do mass installation of COMAND units in Singapore.

Since then, now we have 2 site sponsors who can retrofit original MB COMAND i.e ricric_lo & camber53.

Some common known roads taken:-

1. Keep Audio 20 - add Hi-Lo converter or JBL MS-8 with/without processor/processor with in-built preamp to power amp/amps c/w 2 or 3 way systems with or without subwoofer/subwoofers

2. Throw away Audio 20 and replaced with after market HU depending on SQ (competition(Alpine F1, Pioneer ODR) or non competition) or U want features

eg. ,Navigation, BT,SD,USB,iPod/iPhone,Reverse Cam,(Recommend Kenwood) Dig TV with or without steering control integrated - depending on budget

3. Retrofit original Mercedes Benz Comand system

4. Retrofit original Mercedes Benz Comand system + Op 1

5. Upgrade speakers that the current Audio 20 can drive.

Guest mvdennis

Thanks for taking the time with that detailed reply!

i'm most likely looking at Route 1 or 2 ... in fact increasing looking at route 1. basically I will replace the speakers, and split the input into my clarion preamp (also have aux input for my ipod though less sophisticated) and have my power amp drive the 4 speakers.

You mention JBL MS-8 .. any idea what is the typical cost of one of those?:bounce: (this forum also a lot of poison :becky::becky::becky:)

Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

Thanks for taking the time with that detailed reply!

i'm most likely looking at Route 1 or 2 ... in fact increasing looking at route 1. basically I will replace the speakers, and split the input into my clarion preamp (also have aux input for my ipod though less sophisticated) and have my power amp drive the 4 speakers.

You mention JBL MS-8 .. any idea what is the typical cost of one of those?:bounce: (this forum also a lot of poison :becky::becky::becky:)

I heard plus installation ard $1.2K

Let me feed U more poison on the MS-8

Unker cheong >20 yrs in Batam & still doing it every week Mon to Fri - my body & blood full of posions like leprosy! :pound:

imho - MS-8 a "near subsitute for original MB Harman Kardon system option.

same company that make the MS-8

Relax & everyone enjoy Unker's poison! :whistle:

http://ms8-eu.jbl.com/

Guest mvdennis

wah damn scary ... ok ok let me slowly digest first ... one at a time please!!

after spending so much on my previous car i dun wanna get infected yet! else it'll defeat the purpose of what i decided to sell my car to get the B200T LOL!

kepiting1sg wrote:

Unker cheong >20 yrs in Batam & still doing it every week Mon to Fri - my body & blood full of posions like leprosy! :pound:

Wow this ms-8 looks good!

Can I know where to get and install the MS-8?

I just got my E200 W212 1 week ago, thinking of doing some simple ICE upgrade.

Thank you.

kepiting1sg wrote:

Guest kepiting1sg

ykh1 wrote:

Can I know where to get and install the MS-8?

I just got my E200 W212 1 week ago, thinking of doing some simple ICE upgrade.

Thank you.

Autospritze/Wee Heng Accessories

115 Eunos Ave 3

Look for Ah Boon:- hp: 81633839 (Mon to Sat work hours only)

U can mention Mr. Seah recommends U!

Thank you very much.:becky:

kepiting1sg wrote:

115 Eunos Ave 3

Guest busdriver

When u install MS-8, try just installing the MS-8 with your stock speakers first. This will be the fastest and easiest way to do it. All you need is to intercept the wires from the centre console and you're done. Thereafter, you may consider installing a subwoofer.

After this, you will probably see a big difference in the sound. If still not happy, you should opt to change the speakers and drive the new speakers off a separate amp. If still wanna upgrade further, try putting in the rear speakers (not rear door). Then add centre channel(not the most important cos may cause more problems if you don't match the correct speaker). By now you probably used up all the 8 channels already.

If u need to listen to a w207 setup, gimme a PM. Will be happy to let u listen to my setup.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

latest pricing from Wee Heng is $1100 including installation for the MS-8 ...

deciding to go either on Monday :becky::becky::becky:

So Ah Boon is feeding on the poisons!

Good! Very Good!.....kekeke :pound:

Guest subaru67

kepiting1sg wrote:

115 Eunos Ave 3

how abt the HQ at 460 Upper Serangoon Road ???