• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Eco Start-Stop timing in your CLA

cruize

Hi guys, I noticed with Eco mode on, that the engine goes off and restarts after around 20-25 secs max when the aircon (23degC, fan speed 1) is on. It has been consistent regardless of morning, night or rush hour conditions.

Quite meaningless given that most traffic lights take longer than 20 secs.

What are your experiences with your CLA?

Mine is the 180.

BTW, I tried without the AC and it stayed off for more than 3 mins.

Seems odd to me. The ECO mode for mine only stops the engine when i stop the car (regardless of whether the air con is on) and only restarts when i lift off the brakes or when i step the accelerator (if the brake holding function is on). Timing is dependent on your right foot.

stock polar silver CLA180 =)

Seems odd to me. The ECO mode for mine only stops the engine when i stop the car (regardless of whether the air con is on) and only restarts when i lift off the brakes or when i step the accelerator (if the brake holding function is on). Timing is dependent on your right foot.

Just the way I expect the ECO mode to work. A consistent restart after 25 secs of stoppage doesn't make any sense at all... The car starts before the light turns green, irritating...

Also depend on your battery condition. Full charge or 1/2 charge .

In the case that battery condition is not optimal, the ECO mode should not be active at all("A" logo In yellow, instead of green). By the way, does anyone know where the battery for the ECO start-stop is on the car? It was in the boot on the W204 but can't find it on the CLA.

I have my foot on the brake. Do they need to be in HOLD position?

I find that if u just put it in hold then it's like a confirm eco stop will happen and last till u accelerate. Since just putting on brake depending on the weight ur depress can alter the timing

In the case that battery condition is not optimal, the ECO mode should not be active at all("A" logo In yellow, instead of green). By the way, does anyone know where the battery for the ECO start-stop is on the car? It was in the boot on the W204 but can't find it on the CLA.

I usually switch off the Eco function....don't really use this feature .

The Eco batt is a small batt under the front dash. Just lift the carpet of the front passenger floor & u will see it there. It has a thick red cable attached to it.

post-178-0-14958200-1437524184_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Try setting temp to 22 and fan 1? To see if restart prolonged due to slower temp change?

The Eco mode will stop when

1. Battery have fall below optimal eco

2. Temp condition is not met

Thanks, tried it this morning. Didn't make a difference

I find that if u just put it in hold then it's like a confirm eco stop will happen and last till u accelerate. Since just putting on brake depending on the weight ur depress can alter the timing

Thanks heidtb, this will be next on the list.

I usually switch off the Eco function....don't really use this feature .

The Eco batt is a small batt under the front dash. Just lift the carpet of the front passenger floor & u will see it there. It has a thick red cable attached to it.

Thanks jtang, this is really helpful.

I might switch off the ECO mode going forward as I find it jarring. But for now, I want to make sure it works as it's supposed to work. My SE recommended me to just switch it off, I dun buy that at all.

Gathering from all your inputs, I suppose the timing of your restarts in ECO mode varies and is not always 25 secs like mine....

Investigation so far (all with foot on brake):

Temp 23 deg Fan speed 1 ~25 secs

Temp 22-25 deg Fan speed 0.5 ~25 secs

AC off - > 3 mins (didn't wait for restart)

Temp 22 deg Fan speed 1 ~25 secs

I'm not sure if the temperature has any effect on how long the ECO mode will stay on. The fan will continue to run but the aircon compressor will be turned off.

I feel that it doesn't... Have switched AC off with fan at full blast and it didn't make a difference, the engine stays off for a long period... Anyway, have made an appt for the car to be looked at next week when I return. Will update...

Hi, just an update.

I was having some issues with my IU and after 2 visits to Vicom to get the wiring redone, I finally had the IU changed last Sat.

Lo and behold, the engine off timing now has more variation. The faulty IU actually messed up the Eco mode. The duration can last more than 1.5 mins when the outside temp is less than 25degC (on rainy mornings recently).

But the downside is it doesn't stay off for more than 15 secs now during high temp afternoon conditions (~28-31 degC).

Now I understand the timing varies greatly depending on a lot of factors.

I'm not going to send the car in due to the long holiday weekend.

Does your CLA restart after only 15 secs during noon time temps?

(Or has everyone just got fed-up and switch Eco mode off when they get in? Lol...)

for mine... the engine starts only when i release the brake . can learn to control braking hardness (so engine will not shutdown when u know u will be moving off soon). i dont understand why it has anything to do with temp...