• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Change from Run Flat to Normal Tyres

munchkins

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and Happy Lunar New Year to everyone here in SGMerc.

I got my CLA180 with the AMG kit on 12Feb this year but didn't have the chance to fully drive it until the CNY holidays.  During these few days, I found the car to be quite enjoyable and there's even more than enough power under the hood for our Singapore roads.

Before I placed my order, I've read quite a number of reviews and the thing that kept coming up was the stiff suspension.  During my test drive, I didn't really noticed it but that may be because the test drive route was quite even.

I've really no issue with the occasional bumps but my wife is beginning to complain about it.

Could the run flat tyres be partly contributing to it?  Has any bros or sis in the forum changed to normal tyres, and whether that improved the ride quality?

Wishing everyone a prosperous Year Of The Goat.

Hi munchkins!

I can't comment about the ride quality as I've never changed them.

So far, I haven't reached those uncomfortable "occasional bumps" (yet)

I've read about some who has changed them to normal tires, and they have claimed a better ride.

[i suppose you know this already] You'll need a spare in the trunk (there's no hidden storage for a spare) and a toolkit - unless u don't mind waiting for help, then in this case you don't need them.

Does it pose any problem if we change to non flat tyres Since the tire monitoring system is programmed to rft?

It depends on how severe the situation is?

If you happen to have a total flat on impact or rapid/excessive air leakage - the tire monitoring system will not help at all.

Run flat is always shitty ! Stupid pricing for a stupid tyre

Hated it on my beemer as well

For guys who want to give up their run flat but want to have piece of mind ... get a spare wheel/ tyre

Can ctc me as I hv kept my original rims w RF tyres ... sell u one pc aso can

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

In all my years of car ownership, I've never once had to use the spare tyre. I had an air compressor and a can of foam which I kept in the boot.  Only once I had to use the air compressor when I found a flat one morning and that lasted me through the whole day until I brought the car to the nearest tyre shop for patching.

I had been using ContiSportContact 5P on my last ride and thought it to be a pretty decent set of tyres.  Now that I start googling for good tyres, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2 (F1A2) keeps coming up as the recommended replacement with good value and wet performance, and I may likely change to the non-Run Flats.

My only concern is that there won't be much of a difference in comfort level after going through all the hassle.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

In all my years of car ownership, I've never once had to use the spare tyre. I had an air compressor and a can of foam which I kept in the boot.  Only once I had to use the air compressor when I found a flat one morning and that lasted me through the whole day until I brought the car to the nearest tyre shop for patching.

I had been using ContiSportContact 5P on my last ride and thought it to be a pretty decent set of tyres.  Now that I start googling for good tyres, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2 (F1A2) keeps coming up as the recommended replacement with good value and wet performance, and I may likely change to the non-Run Flats.

My only concern is that there won't be much of a difference in comfort level after going through all the hassle.

I'm driving the A200 with AMG kit, and I know what you mean about the stiff suspension. Switched to F1A2 normal tires the day I collected my car, thinking it will help with ride comfort. Can't say much about that becos I switched from day 1. But I will say that even with the normal tires, ride was still hard. It's the AMG suspension, which is a lot harder than the standard suspension. So after a year of driving, I gave in and changed to KW Street Comfort suspension on the recommendation of a bro here, who happens to drive the A250. All I can say is that it's the best investment I've made on the car! Dramatic change, at least for me :)

• Like 1

I'm driving the A200 with AMG kit, and I know what you mean about the stiff suspension. Switched to F1A2 normal tires the day I collected my car, thinking it will help with ride comfort. Can't say much about that becos I switched from day 1. But I will say that even with the normal tires, ride was still hard. It's the AMG suspension, which is a lot harder than the standard suspension. So after a year of driving, I gave in and changed to KW Street Comfort suspension on the recommendation of a bro here, who happens to drive the A250. All I can say is that it's the best investment I've made on the car! Dramatic change, at least for me :)

I think changing the suspension will be a better option.  Mind sharing where was it done and what's the damage like? 

• 1 month later...