• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

"TEK TEK" kind of noise

Z3T

Bro, could be the damage of the Constant Velocity Joint (CV Joint). It happens to my previous Jap car...

Some write up about this problem but not sure which car model they referring though:

Quote//

A clicking sound when turning is one of the classic symptoms of a worn or damaged "constant velocity" (CV) joint. Your car has four such joints on the two front axles: two inboard joints and two outboard joints. The outboard joints are the ones that make a clicking sound when they go bad.

Inside the joint are six steel balls, positioned in grooves between an inner race and an outer housing. The balls are held in position by a cage that looks something like a wide bracelet with windows or slots cut in it. When the joint is new, the balls fit tightly into the cage windows. But as the joint accumulates miles, the cage windows become worn and allow the balls to rattle around. The grooves in the inner race and outer housing also wear, which further contributes to noise.

When driving straight, a worn CV joint is usually quiet (constant noise would indicate a bad wheel bearing or other problem). But when the wheels are turned to either side, the joint bends causing the balls to click as they slide around in their cage windows and grooves. The noise is usually loudest when backing up with the wheels turned. Repacking the joint with grease won't help because the joint is worn and needs to be replaced.

The "normal" life of a CV joint is usually 100,000 miles or more. But a joint can fail prematurely if the rubber boot that surrounds it is damaged or develops a leak. //Unquote

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Z3T, Is the issue resolved? I have the same noise in my new FLW204. Even my son can hear it while seating at the back. As usual C&C cannot hear anything. Just did my 15k servicing, not going back there anymore. Life is too short to be wasted like that. Will go outside workshop if you can share the solution. Thanks.

Just to share my story, I complained about my undercarriage noise and it took me 2 hours to kinapped the SA to my house to hear & acknowledge the noise. All that effort just for him to put down in the service note "Undercarriage noise, pls check". Then in the eveining, called me to say his guys cannot reproduce the noise. I told him to return my car and BYE BYE.

i had a cluck noise when i turn my steering wheel (almost to lock, right side) and mech found the problem to be lower-arm bar which they replace and no more sound... warranty covers it.

sound is the worst to diagnose but so far i found the mechs to be quite patient although when they hear the sound their reasons can sometimes be out of this world... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Z3T, Is the issue resolved? I have the same noise in my new FLW204. Even my son can hear it while seating at the back. As usual C&C cannot hear anything. Just did my 15k servicing, not going back there anymore. Life is too short to be wasted like that. Will go outside workshop if you can share the solution. Thanks.

Just to share my story, I complained about my undercarriage noise and it took me 2 hours to kinapped the SA to my house to hear & acknowledge the noise. All that effort just for him to put down in the service note "Undercarriage noise, pls check". Then in the eveining, called me to say his guys cannot reproduce the noise. I told him to return my car and BYE BYE.

I believe doing full lock, either full left or right. Will reproduce the sound... Apart frm this sound, i got another issue on the air con also.. The first startup of the day, the air con always took 1m30sec to "bootup" , which means, it purely just blow air for the first 1m30s, thereafter the aircon starts to come in. And the under carriage tuck sound, with this aircon warming up 1m30sec, happen since the 1st min i took my car. 25/10/2012. Not solve yet. I think my van air con better, start nia, turn on nia, means "air con"!

And worse, aft 6mths, the c180 aircon blow smelly socks air for the first 1m30sec. Thereafter the aircon starts to come in. Zzzz wtf

i had a soft tek tek kind of noise before on my nov 2012 ride too..especially during slow speed turning.. such as going up / down multi-storey carpark

went to ubi .. can't remember what they changed.. it's ok after that.. covered under warranty of course

• 1 month later...

When driving no noise but only when doing parking then have "TEK TEK" noise when turning steering wheel.

Seems to come from the front side.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Bro your "TEK TEK" noise happened to my ride as well. I had this issue for quite a while and I couldn't figure it out as well. But somehow after changing my front brake rotor plus changing to original brake pad.... the TEK TEK noise when turning steering wheel no longer exist now at all. Really is like magic.... dunno if something was loosen to start of it and as the mechanic removed the rotor and tightened things up that fixed it or new rotor plus original brake pad that fix it. I had it feeling is the original brake pad coz most of the aftermarket brake pad do produce some kinda of knocking noise. Hope it sheds some light....

just came back from servicing a week+ ago.. i hearing the tek tek sound when doing reverese parking .. i think turning steering near full lock at low speed can re-produce the noise.. no time go service center again leh.. can this thing tahan 2-3 mths without compromising safety and anything except the irritating noise?

just came back from servicing a week+ ago.. i hearing the tek tek sound when doing reverese parking .. i think turning steering near full lock at low speed can re-produce the noise.. no time go service center again leh.. can this thing tahan 2-3 mths without compromising safety and anything except the irritating noise?

I still have the same same issue but Cnc somehow ignore it. Just wondering that by having a front struct bar will it causes all these to happen. Any guru here to explain thanks

Seems that issues always occur after CnC servicings..

My sound started coming out at abt 20k mileage..im at 29k now and its still the same..not getting any louder..

Yeah seems like when new haven't service by them no issue after servicing all the issue comes in.