• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

kompressor VS CGI

alvin89

C180 Kompressor is Supercharged while C180 CGI is Turbo charged and I believe to be more fuel efficient due to it's new engine dynamics and Blueefficiency. However, for turbo charged cars, there will more than likely be a turbo lag due to it having to spool up fast enough to provide that pressure of cold air into the engine. I also believe Dr Hannson can eliminate this lag with is TRD.

C180k C180CGI

1)Kompressor 1) Turbo

2)5 speed tranny 2) 7 speed tranny

3)7.7 lts/100km 3) 6.3 lts/100km

4)230 Nm torque 4) 250 Nm torque

5)156 hp 5) 156 hp(same)

6) 9.9 secs zero to 100 6) 8.5 secs zero to 100

• Like 1

C180k C180CGI

1)Kompressor 1) Turbo

3)Petrol 3) Diesel

4)7.7 lts/100km 4) 6.3 lts/100km

5)230 Nm torque 5) 250 Nm torque

6)156 hp 6) 156 hp(same)

7) 9.9 secs zero to 100 7) 8.5 secs zero to 100

Diesel?

C180k C180CGI

1)Kompressor 1) Turbo

3)Petrol 3) Diesel

4)7.7 lts/100km 4) 6.3 lts/100km

5)230 Nm torque 5) 250 Nm torque

6)156 hp 6) 156 hp(same)

7) 9.9 secs zero to 100 7) 8.5 secs zero to 100

and what about mod potentials and the goodies out there? i was told turbos are higher :devil:

• 1 month later...

One thing I've learnt, tuning a CGI engine is much easier with so many options compared to a Kompressor engine. It's been a year and I've lost count the number of times I've been told "we can't tune your ride".

One thing I've learnt, tuning a CGI engine is much easier with so many options compared to a Kompressor engine. It's been a year and I've lost count the number of times I've been told "we can't tune your ride".

there are many rides (not sure about mercs, but i believe this is possible) out there that were modded or tuned and caused problems later on. some even had their engines blown by lousy tuners. seen a couple of wrx with piang engines...

i recall years back there was also a scare where some lousy quality steel mesh air filters broke and got sucked into the engine, also causing problems. :wacko:

take it as a 'blessing' that kompressors cannot be 'improved' further.. don't touch it, and u can be sure of the reliability of a stock car ;)

Found this simple explanation on MB Australia's website:

BlueEFFICIENCY is a range of green environmental technologies aimed at reducing carbon emissions and improving fuel consumption across the Mercedes-Benz range. As a part of the BlueEFFICIENCY strategy, Mercedes-Benz has replaced the Kompressor engine with the new CGI engine in the C-Class Saloon and Estate.

The Kompressor surpercharged engine was developed to boost a car's power and acceleration using a forced induction system. New innovations in engine development have produced the Charged Gasoline Injection (CGI) engine. The CGI engine uses homogeneous direct injection with high-precision piezoelectric injectors combined with turbocharged for an increase in output from a small displacement engine. Alternatively, the Kompressor engine used a supercharger which drew its power from the engine, thereby increasing the petrol consumption.

The CGI engine has reduced fuel consumption from 8.1L/100km (C 200 Kompressor) to 7.3L/100km (C 200 CGI). The CGI engine is also cleaner than its predecessor, expelling 171g CO2 p/km (C 200 CGI) compared with 200g CO2 p/km (C 2oo Kompressor). A reduction in engine noise and improved torque output are both benefits of the switch to CGI engines. The new CGI engine demonstrates Mercedes-Benz dedication to reducing the impact of its vehicles on the environment.

there are many rides (not sure about mercs, but i believe this is possible) out there that were modded or tuned and caused problems later on. some even had their engines blown by lousy tuners. seen a couple of wrx with piang engines...

i recall years back there was also a scare where some lousy quality steel mesh air filters broke and got sucked into the engine, also causing problems. :wacko:

take it as a 'blessing' that kompressors cannot be 'improved' further.. don't touch it, and u can be sure of the reliability of a stock car ;)

I would dare say and believe that German cars are much better built compared to their Asian counterparts. Their cars are engineered to cruise up and down the limitless Autobahn. However, finding a good and reliable tuner is also a must! So if any one has managed to tune their face lifted W204 C180 Kompressor, do PM me some details! As humans, it's only natural to push to the limits and want more because maximum is never enough!

C180 Kompressor is RWD whereas the C180 1.6 CGI is a FWD. This will really affect the driveability of the turbo version.

Are you sure?

alvin, actually those who bought C180K r actually earning money from their new C180K. just check sgcarmart. one republic auto 2nd hand sept 2011 C180K is selling at 172800 bucks. that the price of a brand new C180K during their 125i promotion in 2011.

now car has become an asset.

so those people who gotten the c180K in the past few months are on a losing deal? as the price between the kompressor and cgi are about the same and the performance of a CGI is better than kompressor. is that correct?

• Like 1

Victoria Concordia Crescit

Translation: Victory grows out of harmony.

• 1 month later...

Just took keys to the C180 1.6T and kissed goodbye to the FL C180k today. The ride is really different. Turbo is indeed very smooth, not much reving for it to push off, atmost 2500 rpm. While the kompressor requires 3500rpm. At speed of 90kmh rpm is only 1500. And the engine is very quiet as well. But the eco start stop is not suitable for Singapore's hot climate. When the engine gets cut off when car stops, aircon becomes fan, not blowing cold air. If caught in long jam, can get very hot.