• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Duty Reminder to CGI Owners

Have heard of a few recent cases from external workshops of some CGI cars facing early turbocharger failure. Still pending investigation but it is a timely reminder to all CGI owners to carry some spare engine oil in your boot in case you need to do a quick top up.

Never assume or depend on whether the car is smart enough to tell you if the oil levels are low. Try to make a habit of checking your dipstick every few thousand kms. As the cars are run at high efficiency, the tendency for oil consumption is there.

Turbocharger oil starvation is a result of low oil levels and is one of the main causes of failure.

Try to service your vehicles regularly.

If your vehicle is no longer under warranty, please ensure you use MB229.5 approved oils with High Temperature / High Shear resistance rating of at least 3.5

Drive safe. ;)

• Like 6

Mine is a FL C180 CGI, I check the engine oil level every 1,000km after the delivery to get a feel on the engine oil consumption.

It just clocked 5,000km and the oil level dropped from MAX to 3/4 of the Max/Min scale on the dipstick.

I will continue to monitor but I think I will need to top up the engine oil at some point if I service it at 15,000km intervals.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Phang. Brilliant maiden post. It will go a long way in helping fellow owners. You're a credit to the rest of the community! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Now is not a right time to discuss about spirited driving :-)

I brought the car to KL when it was less than a week old, tacho pointer touched the red zone a few times after the official run-in mileage.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Phang you got your car a little later than me and mine is barely 3500km!

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what was my initial level. I am now my first 4000km and I just realize that my oil is at half mark. Gkt to top up already.

Juz 2 weeks ago I send my car for servicing at C&C, few days later I check my engine oil level it's at half mark too. I ask d SE he said its normal to be at half mark, I chose to believe him anyway.

Juz 2 weeks ago I send my car for servicing at C&C, few days later I check my engine oil level it's at half mark too. I ask d SE he said its normal to be at half mark, I chose to believe him anyway.

Not normal leh. Check after leaving your car on level ground overnight and it should be almost max level if it's a few days after service. Else, should go back and complain.

Not normal leh. Check after leaving your car on level ground overnight and it should be almost max level if it's a few days after service. Else, should go back and complain.

That's what I'm going to do, everyday I felt very uneasy with it, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My previous W203 has never top up oil other than oil change during service. It clocked 210,000 km without any problem when I traded it in. So it's alright to leave it as it is as long as the right amount has been changed and there is no low level warning. It's likely an engine design to have run with that amount of oil. Having max oil doesn't mean it is always good, for one it's bad for the wallet.

Never. I just send for service at every 15,000km. This M271 supercharged engine is very hardy and reliable, so don't need to lose sleep over this oil thingy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sent the car for 15,000km servicing at C&C lately.

Engine oil level was at half way between the MAX-MIN on the dipstick before I sent the car to C&C, not too bad in my opinion.

However, when I checked the oil level after the servicing, apparently C&C filled the engine oil only up to the 3/4 mark.

Nothing wrong with that but have to watch the oil level closely when it is approaching the next servicing at 30,000km. It may drop to beyond the MIN since it is not full to begin with.