• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Jerk when slowing down

rmjunior

Lately, I have experienced a jerk when my car is slowing down at trafiic light or carpark entrance/exit. It does not happen everytime I slow down, but i would say it happens once or twice per week.

What could be a possible cause? Gearbox problem? My ride is C180K, mileage is about 20K.

I used to have this occasional jerks at slow speed around carparks too. It's the gear change fom 2nd to 1st. But ever since I switched to RON 98 Caltex from RON 95, this disappeared. Are you using RON 95?

This 5 speed gearbox has this characteristic of jerking during the transition from 1st to 2nd when the speed does not match.

yup. the jump from 1st (3.59) to 2nd (2.19) is quite big imho. if you go in C mode most of the time, you will feel the jerk less. 5G-TRONIC 3.59 2.19 1.41 1.00 0.83 3.16

• Like 2

i had the same problem. my first experience on the jerk was when i wanted to reverse and the car was rolling slowly to a stop when i felt a jerk. i initially tot i run over a small rock :) it happen once in a while especially when the car is rolling slowly to a stop. guess it tot it had stop and shifted to 1st gear abruptly

But his problem is when slowing down...it's 2nd to 1st gear, not 1st to 2nd. I never had any jerk from 1st to 2nd.

Precisely when you slow down to near stopping and the jerk comes when you apply accelerator. So the car goes from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 (very slow now) and suddenly the jerk comes when it needs to quickly goes to 2nd.

I overcome this problem with my W203 by never allowing the car to slow to near stopping when I want to turn at a junction, knowing that I will accelerate to make the turn. You just have to play with the car till you know what is a good slow speed to avoid this jerk.

The 7gtronic has no such problem.

didnt encoutered this on a merc but on a e60 instead. could be down to the couple of reasons..

1. gearbox's (jumper or switch etc) giving way. there's actually a device regulating the downshift and such, did u meddle wif anything that will have an effect on the gearbox? (paddle-shift, non-compatible piggyback/sprintbooster etc)

2. transmission fluids and oils time for replacement/flushing? do a proper flushing and replacement of all related oils might help solve or reduce the problem from happening.

3. ecu miss-reading. same as no. 1.

hope this helps.. :)

What about when you guys change gear frm Reverse to 1st gear or 1st gear to Reverse? My my will jerk during the change and it felt like the gear engagement....

I have this groaning sound when I switch from reverse to 1st gear.

But when I brought the car to Pandan to get it checked out, it stopped groaning!

Resume making noise again when I reached home.

• 2 months later...

i also have this problem of jerking when downshifting from gear 2 to gear 1.

it is quite prominent.... almost like someone bump you from the back.

I am going to try changing the transmittion fluid then monitor.

However, later i will reset my ecu first and monitor.

The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering - Bruce Lee

When slowing down especially when the car almost coming to a halt, my car's RPM will drop drastically and the car will jerk like going to stall... but this happen like a 1 - 2 second only... then it goes back to normal.

Looks like common problem huh?

mine 2 weeks already can feel it. i bring my c180 back to CnC next week. my steer wheel keep having a rubbing sound when it turns in low speed. i shall sound off the jerking issue to them see what they say....

i have this steering sound problem also... going to sound out next week during servicing...

The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering - Bruce Lee

• 6 years later...