• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Activatiing/Deactivating air-recirculation mode...

Bros,

Do you guys always press to activate it? I realize this function is not turn ON automatically during start engine.

I'm just curious, do you smell any exhausts or anything during on move or stationary time when is deactivate mode (indicator lamp turn off)?

For my ex Jap car, this is always shut off (activate/turn on) to prevent strange smell from outside cabin.

But strange for this Merc, i hardly smell anything during drive or stationary when is deactivated. (I'm sure my nose sense is still working fine... ;))

Can someone enlighten me, is our ride really that good in isolating outside smell even with the deactivation mode? :huh:

Btw I always press to turn it ON.... Is this necessary for our ride?

Thanks!

post-69-0-12887700-1334417999_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since u turn it ON whenever u starts yr engine u wont smell able to smell outside fume. Everytimes u turn it ON its last 30 minutes by then u will reach yr next destination for sillypore standard. Try not to turn it ON & tail a lorry u will know how effective is the mercs standard.

I realized this FL W204 filter is effective in filtering exhaust such that I don't smell any with vent opened. With this FL C-class, I can leave the vent open but not for my previous W203.

Not for my case, i got to turn it ON before drives off.

So it means when you turn on then off the engine. When start the engine again, it goes back to off again?

Yup - this has been discussed before. Default is vent open, Even if you close it - the closure will only be for about 30 minutes which as bro blackmercs has said enough for most journeys. I'm quite used to having to close it again on longer journeys.

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Pretty impressed with the filter but the recirculating timer isn't fixed, at least not in my experience. Sometimes it cuts out barely before I get out the car park!

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

For me, I turn it "ON" whenever I see the bikes/vehicles in front of me blowing dark smoke... under normal driving condition, it will turn "OFF" normally in ~30 minutes, or whenever the Oxygen sensor sensed lack of Oxygen inside the cabin. (ie : < 30 minutes, if you are driving and doing some aerobic activities at the same time... :D )

At "default OFF" position, the filter system is quite effective (at the cost of cabin filter $$$)

I remember I went to manual car wash with high pressure water spray, the guy was telling me "... you hardly see water sippage into the doors gap of MB cars, even it is an old MB..." Check it out the next time you spray wash your ride...

I understand it to be a safety feature as after long periods of air recirc inside, it is full of CO2. Also, if there isa leak, say from exhos, it seeps into cabin(touch wood). If no new air comes in, you are literally committing suicide in such conditions.

Thus, this feature, even in BMW is present. Even u turn it on, it will after a certain interval, let fresh in....jus hope at that time, u not near any dustbin or lorry...

I find it irritating too that I've to activate the system every time it cuts off. I fully understand the safety concerns that Mercedes or even BMW have. But I've not heard of anyone dying from a lack of oxygen while driving any make of car that doesn't have the auto cutoff system installed.

Lolz this auto circulation is to prevent ppl from killing themselves in the event of carbon monoxide poisoning! In the past the setting is only 10 mins for E class which so many of us kpkb including me. Is damn frustrated, aparts from smelling the fume & is dangerous to look for the auto circulation button (is smaller button) every 10 mins which u may loss focus on the road. I guess the maker do read the forum. Setting for 10 mins is good for long driving not for city!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

I remember I went to manual car wash with high pressure water spray, the guy was telling me "... you hardly see water sippage into the doors gap of MB cars, even it is an old MB..." Check it out the next time you spray wash your ride...

Not sure if you guys look carefully at the door seal of C-class (and I suppose it's the same for other classes), Merc has 2 door seals, one fabric covered rubber seal at the door frame and the other rubber seal at the door.

Most cars (particularly the Japanese cars, and even Volvo) have only one rubber seal at the door only.

[Not sure if you guys look carefully at the door seal of C-class (and I suppose it's the same for other classes), Merc has 2 door seals, one fabric covered rubber seal at the door frame and the other rubber seal at the door.

Yes, the same for W211.