• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Topic about Porsche

Guest angela

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

:love7: its beautiful jeff!! an old 930 turbo... only for the very skillful I hear. its really takes balls to drive this car on B roads. a real beauty... :love7: :love7:

Hi Wu, you're right about the car, you have to be very gentle on your right foot especially into corners. I've drove up NSHW on this car before....& guys, please don't think you can 'makan' him hor! ;D

I'm not arguing with a power to weight ratio of 227hp per tonne for a car that was conceived in the late 70s - that is freaking mindblowing! If you consider fruitcakes' FD2R which is rated at 174hp per tonne with the latest in technology, the 930 turbo is one helluva scary machine! Weight distribution for the rear engined car is around 38/62 ? Oversteer prone at the limit for the non experienced driver.

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

I'm not arguing with a power to weight ratio of 227hp per tonne for a car that was conceived in the late 70s - that is freaking mindblowing! If you consider fruitcakes' FD2R which is rated at 174hp per tonne with the latest in technology, the 930 turbo is one helluva scary machine! Weight distribution for the rear engined car is around 38/62 ? Oversteer prone at the limit for the non experienced driver.

You are very right man! Once you are committed to the turn....PLEASE DO NOT LIFT OFF THE RIGHT FOOT! or you will most definately fish tail!! ;D Unlike the newer cars got all the electronic stuff to help you.

• 1 month later...

hehehe .. me no expert la ...

* good deal can't comment ... becos if the car has a 'dodgy' history ...then ... :pray:

* you can ask Stuttgart to do PPI for you but it cost about $300 - 400 ? can't remember

just some personal experience after owning a 97 Boxster (for 1.5 years) ...

* as it is more than 10 yrs old, dun harp on things not as functioning or 'virgin' as a 1-2years old la .. :bootyshake:

* parts are not hard to get ... lotsa stuff on eBay/web for replacement and additions to make holes in yr pockets :3some:

* repair - Stuttgart for the rich and beri rich and beri-beri rich :death: (but lotsa chio-bus there)

* 3-4 outside workshops (in Sin Ming alone) can handle, MBM is also one of them :bboyspin:

* love the exhaust sound - sorri, no "psst - psst" type hor ... the roar especially when going thru tunnels :rockon:

* drive is very raw and engine always eager to downshift for that sudden 'urge to surge' (ahem ...) :devil:

* engine can be beri hot but nothing a good engine oil and regular maint will not manage :thumbsup:

* for owners of carbio, driving with the top down -> shiok-a-doodle-doo (pardon me) :clap:

* those with fetish need for neat hair - pls get a sedan or coupe, else invest in some good baseball caps ... some becos tend to fly off and disappear else get bandana ... pls no yellow with polka-dots hor :offtopic:

(PS: me top down no issue with flying hair ... becos not many left to fly ... :'( )

* loads of info in the web on the 986 ;D

* my tires are staggered .. so no rotation (hmmm ... i have neber rotate my previous cars tires anyway :banghead:)

* not a car for weekend grocery shopping hor :censored: - once i went to Giant to do buy a mircowave, argue with wifey that it can fit the boot/hood ... in the end, drove home with the top down and wife carrying the microwave on her lap :2guns: wahahahahahaha :swduel:

For more info and good read-up , the following:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

http://www.986faq.com/

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/996M_catalog.htm -> spare part prices (I bought quite some stuff off this site)

I guess with owning a 10yr ride, the parts that need to be changed has to be changed. They are not terribly expensive per se but adding up might give the heart an added murmur or two ... but i have not regret getting mine.

But if you are sensitive abt things not falling apart and car must be silky smooth and stress-free, then maybe a brand new or 1-2 year old Porker will be more suitable ...

The shape and dynamics of the car has remained more or less the same over the years .. this is testament to its allure and success ... today's electronics and gadgets are more fanciful and up-market compared with the 986 but to be fair, imagine the 986 when it was 10 years ago !

anyway ....

buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you're a fan of the 964 911, check out this rebuild done right here in SGP. The orange is sublime!!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=467419

007.jpg

TE-37s on a 964.. damn it.. lau chwee nuah man

005.jpg

This rebuild "no horse run" man

006.jpg

Guest Raskie

Am thinking of getting this car.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=36585&DL=1172

Anyone can advise if it's costly to upkeep and whether this is a good deal?

It's "SOLD" - so did you buy it ? Or you asking about getting a pre-loved COE Boxster ?

Boxster design has not changed over the years from 1997 till today .. of course not tokin' about the mechanical/electrical etc .. more in the shape of the car and the way the interior looks ... so in a way it shows the classic design has been well accepted over the years

Older Porsche parts are easy to obtain both locally and over the net ... in fact they share quite alot with Volks just priced higher ! Sigh ...

But barring any major mishaps, it is just slightly more than a normal conti drive to be honest ...

There are quite alot of 'outside' w/shops who services Porsche besides Stuttgart and they are just as good.

Sometimes u've got to take the plunge and try it out yrself ... if u have to find a million and one reason to own one, you are not ready ... btw this applies to any car you fancy !

:)

Am thinking of getting this car.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=36585&DL=1172

Anyone can advise if it's costly to upkeep and whether this is a good deal?

It's "SOLD" - so did you buy it ? Or you asking about getting a pre-loved COE Boxster ?

Boxster design has not changed over the years from 1997 till today .. of course not tokin' about the mechanical/electrical etc .. more in the shape of the car and the way the interior looks ... so in a way it shows the classic design has been well accepted over the years

Older Porsche parts are easy to obtain both locally and over the net ... in fact they share quite alot with Volks just priced higher ! Sigh ...

But barring any major mishaps, it is just slightly more than a normal conti drive to be honest ...

There are quite alot of 'outside' w/shops who services Porsche besides Stuttgart and they are just as good.

Sometimes u've got to take the plunge and try it out yrself ... if u have to find a million and one reason to own one, you are not ready ... btw this applies to any car you fancy !

:)

Hey Raskie, in your ownership history have you ever encountered any rear engine seal (I think it's the seal linking transmission and engine) problem for the Boxster ?

Guest Raskie

yes one major complaint 4 the older boxster is the RMS (rear main seal) prob, more common in stick than TIP ... dun have the details with me now ... overseas ... but fortunately i do not have this prob. my engine n trans are working well ... both my w/shop guys keep reminding me to drive the car hard becos the engine needs the odd high rev ... but i do not track ...

one in awhile (ahem) ... okie la, more often i do drag the car to 7k+ from redlight n the car revs smoothly ... thrill ...

i worry abt temp but it has also been great ... i used the texas oil n it kept the engine well lub n cool n sometimes too smooth n exhaust roar too gentlemanly ... haha ....

the only $$$ spent is on wear n tear ... like oldie me, things breaks down .. kekeke ...

yes one major complaint 4 the older boxster is the RMS (rear main seal) prob, more common in stick than TIP ... dun have the details with me now ... overseas ... but fortunately i do not have this prob. my engine n trans are working well ... both my w/shop guys keep reminding me to drive the car hard becos the engine needs the odd high rev ... but i do not track ...

one in awhile (ahem) ... okie la, more often i do drag the car to 7k+ from redlight n the car revs smoothly ... thrill ...

i worry abt temp but it has also been great ... i used the texas oil n it kept the engine well lub n cool n sometimes too smooth n exhaust roar too gentlemanly ... haha ....

the only $$$ spent is on wear n tear ... like oldie me, things breaks down .. kekeke ...

Sounds like a tough car built to last with a little TLC. :P You driving stick or tip ?

Was reading up on the RX-8 and associated rotary engine based cars. Seems like the mechs are giving the same advice to hammer the engines in order to clear carbon build up on the rotors which in turn prevent the seals from fouling up too easily.

Guest Raskie

yes the porker engine is very well designed and built ... meant to be driven hard (actually handles better when chucking it ard) ... so typically u can see lots of solid mileage >10yrs porkers on the road ...

i feel tat like the electronics of the past, they were built to last as compared to now.... look at the TVs, aircon and washing m/c !

• 8 months later...
Guest Kompressor

Prior-Design PD3 based on Porsche 911 GT3

German tuners Prior Design have unveiled their modified version of the 2010 911 GT3. The Porsche 911 PD3 includes a series of aerodynamic upgrades and a custom built exhaust.

The package really revolves around the car's new front end, which extends the car both outward and downward. Love it or hate it, the revision provides more downforce while changing the air flow direction for the better. This now pushes past the carbon fiber spoiler and through the redesigned air inlets. New, deeply sculpted sidesills lead to a completely remodeled rear end. Amongst the changes at back is a new diffuser. As part ot the mods, the car has an adapted chassis that has been dropped by 30 millimeters.

Engineers did not modify the rear wing on the GT3.

Also available is a hand-built stainless steel exhaust, and a new set of wheels. Now, the car rides on ultra-light, sectional forged wheels available in several different sizes.

4658910.jpg

5252258.jpg

4345176.jpg

5340889.jpg

Guest Kompressor

Porsche 991 Latest Winter Test Spy Photos - Rear LEDs in View

Our spies have snapped new pictures of the redesigned Porsche 911 (codenamed 991 or 998) undergoing cold weather testing in Sweden.

While it's still heavily camouflaged, we can see new details about the 911's LED taillights. Overall, the shape is similar to the one used on the current model (997.5), but the turn signal elements appear wider.

As we have previously reported, the next-generation 911 will feature an evolutionary design theme with minor styling tweaks. Changes include streamlined headlights, Panamera-style door mirrors, a revised rear windshield wiper, and wider rear wheel haunches. The 2011 model may also be a tad longer than the 997.

Engine options will likely carryover with minor modifications, and they will be connected to a 6-speed manual or a 7-speed Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission. Like the current 911, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants will be available.

2034375.jpg

1724073.jpg

3680812.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kompressor

2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S Revealed with 530 bhp

Porsche will be upping the ante on its 911 series when it introduces the 911 Turbo S at the Geneva auto show next month.

The 911 Turbo S features a boost of 30 bhp over the standard 911 Turbo, dialing horsepower up to 530 bhp (390 kW / 523 hp), while torque stays put at 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) including the overboost, 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) without. Top speed is up just slightly (by 3 km/h) at 315 km/h or 195 mph. Fuel consumption also remains the same as the standard Turbo at 11.4 liters/100 km (24.8 mpg UK).

Additional goodies to entice buyers to this range-topping 911 include providing the 911 Turbo S with all the options available on the 911 Turbo as standard. The 911 Turbo S will come with Porsche's 7-speed PDK (double-clutch) transmission, Porsche traction management (PTM) for the all-wheel drive system, as well as Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) which includes a differential lock for the rear axle. Also part of the standard package is the Launch Control and Sport Chrono Package that help accelerate this 911 Turbo S from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.3 seconds, shaving up to a tenth of a second from the "regular" 911 Turbo's time with PDK.

Other standard features include 19-inch central locking wheels in an RS Spyder design and a two-tone leather finish in either Black/Crema or Black/Titanium Blue.

The Porsche 911 Turbo S will come as both a cabriolet and coupe model. It will be available in dealerships starting in May (2010). Prices in Germany, including VAT, are €173,241 for the Turbo S Coupe, and €184,546 for the 911 Turbo S Cabriolet.

969852.jpg

445058.jpg

432164.jpg

3967380.jpg