• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

BMC Filters bad for engine??

bakuteh

I heard from some friends that paper filters are still the best as they are good to the engine.........whereas non-paper filters like BMC when used for extend period is no good to the car engine and can void car warantty.

Can any one advise if that is true?

Many Thanks.

Regards

The key here is to check the state and condition of your filter element every now and then. This will ensure that the foam filter you wish to use will be in a healthy state way before catastrophic damage to the engine will happen. Same if you use a paper/cotton based filter element.

I use a K&N open pod with a CF shroud and I do a visual inspection at every service interval to make sure it's clean enough to be used. It takes about a day to clean out the K&N (because you gotta wait for it to dry and then re-oil the darned thing).

Some reputable brands you may wish to try - K&N, ITG, Perrin

Yes what snsd5555 says is true. Mesh/steel filters may allow a larger flow of air but permit larger particles of dirt/grime.

It will be quite pointless to just change the filter element if there are no significant changes in the entire system i.e., pistons, cams, engine work (polish+porting, matched flow), manifold, down pipe, high flow cat, muffler.

Aural gratification and perceived butt dyno results = placebo effect :)

FYI...BMC filters are used in F1 cars. These cars run at 18k rpms & undergo extreme stress many times more than our normal cars. If it is bad, do you think the F1 teams will risk damaging their mult million dollar engines?

Anyone installed BMC CDA air intake on your ride? Last time installed in my previous auto ride and performance better than open pod.

Insulated with CDA is the right way to go vs open pod application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally agree, BMC filters does provide better airflow. However,on two occasions during check the rubber parts kind off melted. They were change with no hesitation due to warranty issue.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

the Filter that allows the best air flow is

1) Stainless Steel

2) KNN or BMC filter

3) Paper Filter

theres always different opinions from different sellers.

some said PAPER is the Best of it traps the largest number of dirt/dust.

and they will said KNN is able to have higher flow and will also trap almost as much dust.

BUT they will tell u if u did not wash the KNN properly the extra oil on the KNN will damage the senor after the filter

and the Senor is very expensive to replace.

and off cos they will also said STAINless steel is the worst cos the holes are too BIG

BUT those selling Stainless Steel will also said the dust that pass thought the stainless steel are too small and will be burn off in the combustion chamber.

and of COS STainless STeel has the Best preformance. cos highest Air flow

I have been using STAINless steel for 5yrs, no problem yet.

but I can really feel the differences between paper and stainless steel filter

especially when I step on the accelerator all the way.

can feel that the engine rev up much more freely.

"Butt feel" is different from dyno figures bro. I am not saying it is bad or no good, but numbers dun lie. Still paper element will deteriorate after time whereas cotton or metal will last longer.

but I can really feel the differences between paper and stainless steel filter

especially when I step on the accelerator all the way.

can feel that the engine rev up much more freely.

you forgot to add, can smell the exhaust fumes better too. >.<

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

The air from the front grille ,

goes into the box ,

pass the air filter

N go straight into the engines.

Changing air filter go nothing to do with air condition right?

you is right! i brain-farted! was thinking air filter for car cabin. paiseh

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

"Butt feel" is different from dyno figures bro. I am not saying it is bad or no good, but numbers dun lie. Still paper element will deteriorate after time whereas cotton or metal will last longer.

Actually my main reason for no using Paper filter is not about performance.

its about cost

The original Mercedes Paper filter around $45-55. (non original $25-35)

and a KNN filter $150 and Stainless Steel filter $150.

I change to Stainless Steel immediately after 1st servicing with C&C and saw what they charge me on paper filter.

so I just change to Stainless Steel and every time during the servicing , ask them not to touch my filter. and save $50 on every servicing.

So just after 3 oil change will cover back all my cost.

once in a while I do use paper filter (non original $25-35) cos I also worry that too much dust may enter into the engine and not good for it.

and when its time for servicing just install back the stainless steel and ask C&C not to touch

Just to share, this is from my mechanic friend who owns a workshop. We did a little test for comparison between paper filter and Other filters. At the time, he was doing some upgrading course on car servicing/maintenance at the ITE.

We used 2 cars of the same make. One on aftermarket and one on stock paper filter. We did it for 3 oil change. No doubt, using aftermarket filter (the one with high Air flow) did increase it bit of torque (maybe placebo effect). But it was pretty obvious that the oil for the non-paper filter was dirtier for 3 oil changes. Of course there may other factors that contributed, like If one one travels to construction site more often.

Verdict? Up to the individual......

The BMC filter I had in my previous A3 literally disintegrated into pieces due to the heat. AutoSpritze did a one on one exchange with me but I swore off the BMC filters from then onwards.

The surrounding red rubber bits all melted, leaving gooey stuff around.

FS%20997TT%20BMC%20F1%20Air%20Filter.JPG

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

The BMC filter I had in my previous A3 literally disintegrated into pieces due to the heat. AutoSpritze did a one on one exchange with me but I swore off the BMC filters from then onwards.

Filter disintergrated, rubber melted & somewhat like condom give way - what else got into your engine.....cannot imagine!!!!! :phew:

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Filter disintergrated, rubber melted & somewhat like condom give way - what else got into your engine.....cannot imagine!!!!! :phew:

Can celebrate "Happy"Father's Day next year? Like condom give way?..........what was I thinking......

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but these F1 engines are rebuilt more often than your engine.

Most of the time, the stock paper filter is not restrictive and will provide the best protection against dirt that will wear out your engine internals. You only change to a freer flowing filter if:

1. Your engine is not stock and modded properly with an aftermarket ECU, cams, pistons, head work, header etc and dyno tuned properly to maximize the gains

2. You enjoy a louder engine note and placebo effect that your car has gained ponies

3. Your car is going to be sold just after warranty period so an engine rebuild is never in your future plans in any case

:D

FYI...BMC filters are used in F1 cars. These cars run at 18k rpms & undergo extreme stress many times more than our normal cars. If it is bad, do you think the F1 teams will risk damaging their mult million dollar engines?

• Like 1

7341297598_97c7140d08.jpg

1988 W126 300SE - Schwartz-Blau with grey velour interior/trim

ZoomButt.gif

Today after my svc B mech changed my k&n filter back to stock paper one and immediately can feel the pick up gone bad. Butt feel of course. But my k&n just over 1 year clock perhaps 25k and true be told is dirty as hell. So if u use aftermarket filter do remember to service it by cleaning or go workshop to clean.