• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Retrofit Comand Online NTG4.5 for Facelift W204

UPDATED: 22 Aug 2012

Just want to share with everyone my experience in getting Comand Online NTG4.5 retrofitted.

I see myself as a very IT savvy person, and I love owning the latest gadgets. Have always been jealous of those who've got Comand fitted to their rides. After months of waiting, I finally got the good news I've been waiting for. Received a message from Ricky that he is able to retrofit the Comand Online NTG4.5 system for my ride (W204 Facelift). I headed down to Ricky's appointed workshop, (which also happens to be one of our reputable site sponsor) to get the retrofit done yesterday. Installation was quick and hassle free. No more looking at the tiny Audio 20 screen, the much larger Comand screen gives the dash a more upmarket and imposing feel. Album art from my iPod finally shows up on the screen. The Linguatronic button on my steering wheel works like a charm. After allowing the system to learn my voice, it was able to follow up on all my commands flawlessly, which is a huge plus compared to the iPhone's Siri.

Right after the retrofit, I headed straight to my regular workshop to get an aftermarket Galactio GPS system integrated with Comand. There was some initial concerns with regards to compatibility as the NTG4.5 is a relatively new platform. In the end, my most trusted technician still delivers perfectly. Spent the whole day setting up the system to suit my needs. At the end of the day, it was all worth while. My only regret was not confirming with Ricky earlier that I wanted Video In Motion (VIM) installed. Now it's another two weeks wait for him to ship the device over from HK.

I would really like to give a big thumbs up to Ricky for his excellent and dedicated before and aftersales service. To say the least, I don't think I'm his easiest customer but his patience in providing the best customer service and experience is really commendable.

Here are some pictures of the results from the retrofit.

post-105-0-73233200-1333861797_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-28561500-1333861819_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-71328100-1333861829_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-82881800-1333861865_thumb.jpg

Aftermarket Galactio GPS System

post-105-0-64346900-1333861841_thumb.jpg

Aftermarket Reverse Camera System (UPDATE: With Guidelines)

post-105-0-56779500-1342621029_thumb.jpg

UPDATE: Retrofit system now fully functional with Navi and Comand Online Connectivity

Navi with latest SEA maps

post-105-0-95222300-1345084318_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-44161800-1345084334_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-79176700-1345084389_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-65573100-1345084392_thumb.jpg

Comand Online

post-105-0-55132700-1345084411_thumb.jpg

Weather App

post-105-0-90476100-1345084429_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-15663500-1345084435_thumb.jpg

Google Local Search

post-105-0-58701100-1345084441_thumb.jpg

Facebook

post-105-0-28368600-1345084451_thumb.jpg

Latest Addition: iPhone & iPod Mirroring

Home Screen

post-105-0-73230900-1345644778_thumb.jpg

Safari

post-105-0-50518100-1345644780_thumb.jpg

Video

post-105-0-50537700-1345644782_thumb.jpg

Game

post-105-0-32612600-1345644784_thumb.jpg

Funny that you're not allowed to do so many things while driving but they allow you to operate an advance computer.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Mark.

• Like 3

The Comand system does come with navigation. However, maps are not available yet for NTG4.5. IMHO, the functionality of the system is rather limited. One big downfall for me is that it doesn't allow search through postal code. Updates are very slow and expensive. Personally, I feel that aftermarket GPS offers better, faster, and in most cases free map updates, which is more catered to Singapore and Malaysia, but lacks overall integration with Comand. I had actually planned most of my retrofit options on what Bro kepiting1sg has posted in his thread:

It was a huge inspiration and help for me.

• Like 1

Yes! Nav comes with Comand but currently our retrofitters hadn't got a copy of the South East Asia Map for Comand NTG 4.5.

I always like to quote that your GPS is as good as your maps.

The current SEA COMAND Maps are not as comprehensive as the local Garmin, PAPAGO Maps, etc.

The Comand SEA DVD Maps cost $k dollars as compare to $'00 for European or US Maps.

This I guess is due to the number of MBs in SEA Fitted with Comands.

This probably doesn't give Navteq Mappers the incentive to do more work on the SEA Maps.

Even Garmin has to collobrate with MalSingMaps & MalFreeMaps.

One thing superior abt Comand Navigation over your Garmin GPS is that it continue to navigate in tunnel when satellites signal are lost. Comand continues to navigate base on your car direction of travel and speed.

Rp 2 worth!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Just want to share with everyone my experience in getting Comand Online NTG4.5 retrofitted.

I see myself as a very IT savvy person, and I love owning the latest gadgets. Have always been jealous of those who've got Comand fitted to their rides. After months of waiting, I finally got the good news I've been waiting for. Received a message from Ricky that he is able to retrofit the Comand Online NTG4.5 system for my ride (W204 Facelift). I headed down to Ricky's appointed workshop, (which also happens to be one of our reputable site sponsor) to get the retrofit done yesterday. Installation was quick and hassle free. No more looking at the tiny Audio 20 screen, the much larger Comand screen gives the dash a more upmarket and imposing feel. Album art from my iPod finally shows up on the screen. The Linguatronic button on my steering wheel works like a charm. After allowing the system to learn my voice, it was able to follow up on all my commands flawlessly, which is a huge plus compared to the iPhone's Siri.

Right after the retrofit, I headed straight to my regular workshop to get an aftermarket Galactio GPS system integrated with Comand. There was some initial concerns with regards to compatibility as the NTG4.5 is a relatively new platform. In the end, my most trusted technician still delivers perfectly. Spent the whole day setting up the system to suit my needs. At the end of the day, it was all worth while. My only regret was not confirming with Ricky earlier that I wanted Video In Motion (VIM) installed. Now it's another two weeks wait for him to ship the device over from HK.

I would really like to give a big thumbs up to Ricky for his excellent and dedicated before and aftersales service. To say the least, I don't think I'm his easiest customer but his patience in providing the best customer service and experience is really commendable.

Here are some pictures of the results from the retrofit.

post-105-0-73233200-1333861797_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-28561500-1333861819_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-71328100-1333861829_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-82881800-1333861865_thumb.jpg

Aftermarket Galactio GPS System

post-105-0-64346900-1333861841_thumb.jpg

Aftermarket Reverse Camera System

Sorry, some photos aren't really clear as the sun was glaring over my parking spot. Would take better photos if there are requests.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Mark.

Great post ! Pls let me know the damage ! Yours is a command online, can link to email system ?

Great post ! Pls let me know the damage ! Yours is a command online, can link to email system ?

Thanks! Able to surf the web but I've not tried emails yet, no idea if it'll work. What email are you using? Will probably try it out later in the evening if I have the time.

Hi Bro here,

Luckily Mark has offered me a chance to do the Comand APS NTG4.5 on his ride while there will be another 3 sets available for retrofit soon but the condition will be remained the same, the SEA Map not yet available and we just treat we offer Comand Online without navigation (hardware is inside the unit but no software this moment.

Interested brothers, please send me a PM.

Cheers, Ricky

• Like 2

Mercedes Factory Navigation Retrofit Expert

Sponsor Link at SGMerc.com:

http://www.sgmerc.co...etrofit-expert/

Photo Link for Factory Navigation Retrofit Done

http://www.flickr.com/comandexpert/

Only the paranoid survive!

Bro can iPhone be used to surf web and email? Or only blackberry can be used?

Is your aftermarket gps touch screen? Or can it be control by the stalk round controller?

iPhone can't be used to surf web on Comand Online. For a full list of compatible phones, please look here:

http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/gb/en/w204:2011-03/compare/~bt

As for aftermarket GPS, mine is fitted with touchscreen. As far as I know, there is no way of controlling aftermarket GPS from the control wheel. You've to either use touchscreen or remote control.

Yes! Nav comes with Comand but currently our retrofitters hadn't got a copy of the South East Asia Map for Comand NTG 4.5.

The current SEA COMAND Maps are not as comprehensive as the local Garmin, PAPAGO Maps, etc.

The Comand SEA DVD Maps cost $k dollars as compare to $'00 for European or US Maps.

This probably doesn't give Navteq Mappers the incentive to do more work on the SEA Maps.

One thing superior abt Comand Navigation over your Garmin GPS is that it continue to navigate in tunnel when satellites signal are lost. Comand continues to navigate base on your car direction of travel and speed.

Rp 2 worth!

I entered CTE today while using the Galactio system. It continued working based on the speed I entered the tunnel.

I entered CTE today while using the Galactio system. It continued working based on the speed I entered the tunnel.

Certain tunnels have GPS signals - include parts of KPE too!

My Garmin works too!

Probably Garment testing out to charge pay as you drive in the future :angry:

Cheers

Rp 2 worth!

Tell me about it! The Comand maps are utterly hopeless, out of date and the updates will need me to sell a kidney (which means I can only afford one!)

As much as I want to have everything under one roof, I'm still relying on my ancient little 200W which honestly is working so well for me that I find no reason to upgrade!

Mark, nice upgrade and welcome to the Comand world! Linguatronic damn shiok right?

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Tell me about it! The Comand maps are utterly hopeless, out of date and the updates will need me to sell a kidney (which means I can only afford one!)

As much as I want to have everything under one roof, I'm still relying on my ancient little 200W which honestly is working so well for me that I find no reason to upgrade!

Mark, nice upgrade and welcome to the Comand world! Linguatronic damn shiok right?

Thanks! Linguatronic works far better than I expected. Thought it was gonna be crap software like most voice controls are.

Bro, I did mentioned that the SEA Maps are not as comphrensive as Garmin maps but I m still able to use it without using my previous Nuvi 1460 or the current Nuvi 3790v.

Comand not really that bad lah! I like the bigger screen & NAV info on the instrument cluster.

The Linguatronic beats the Nuvi 3790v voice control hands down.

Cheers

Certain tunnels have GPS signals - include parts of KPE too!

My Garmin works too!

Probably Garment testing out to charge pay as you drive in the future :angry:

I didn't know our tunnels are so advanced! But I lose signal with the crapy NavfDrive GPS that C&C installed for me. Problem was only solved after the upgrade to Galactio.

Bro, I did mentioned that the SEA Maps are not as comphrensive as Garmin maps but I m still able to use it without using my previous Nuvi 1460 or the current Nuvi 3790v.

Comand not really that bad lah! I like the bigger screen & NAV info on the instrument cluster.

The Linguatronic beats the Nuvi 3790v voice control hands down.

Really cannot leh. No MBS, no Asia Square, many many things don't have. A sat-nav system is only as good as the maps so in this case as much as I want to use it, really cmi leh...

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

I'm using a GPS app from the iTunes store. Works well no signal loss etc and I can plug it into my audio 20 via iPhone. No issues so far

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

hi bro, can pm the damage? what is the extra damage for VIM?

cheers & thanks.

Really cannot leh. No MBS, no Asia Square, many many things don't have. A sat-nav system is only as good as the maps so in this case as much as I want to use it, really cmi leh...

My current ride is my 6th MB and like all my previous rides did not had COMAND.

Previously we lan lan yearn to have one and no one locally can retrofit for us.

Willing to pay ang moh from downunder abt $9K to retrofit COMAND NTG 4 in my previous E250.

He told me 2 rides not enough volume to come here for the retrofit.....sad.... :(

CnC told us to go Marina Barrage or Sengkang wherever is convenient for us to fly layang2 cos they dunno how to retrofit!

No diff. from Premium Audi. :P

It was only in late 2010, we have people like ric_ric-lo & camber53 who can do the retrofitting for us.

My previous E250 was one of the early guinea pig to retrofit both after mkt MMI/Garmin GVN53 and COMAND NTG 4 together.

Choice of after mkt MMI with Window Base CE Touch Screen but with Aigis Maps - imho maps & updates sucks

I sent my current ML300 when it was 2 days old for COMAND NTG 2.5 retrofit cos the Audio 20 sucks big time.

hahahaha! Do U know U guys are a lucky lot!!!!!

U got your COMAND from the late 125 Anniversary deliveries

Most who got their ride in Sep '11 and later has their ride with COMAND while earlier deliveries and some models does not.

hehehehe! Those who has it complains CMI while those who dun have wants it.......kekekeke!...chiak lat lah!!! :lol:

Anyway, the COMAND is more than Nav - enjoy Bro!

Cheers

iPhone can't be used to surf web on Comand Online. For a full list of compatible phones, please look here:

http://www.mercedes-...-03/compare/~bt

As for aftermarket GPS, mine is fitted with touchscreen. As far as I know, there is no way of controlling aftermarket GPS from the control wheel. You've to either use touchscreen or remote control.

You need phones that support DUN (Dial Up Networking) basically a phone working as a modem. Iphone does not support DUN. I have a blackberry and a i-phone but both use the same SIM card installed into the two phones. So when in the car, I activate the Blackberry SIM card so Internet browsing and SMS are all supported. When I leave my car, I activate my I-phone........The issue with DUN is that it is slow compared to Iphone Tethering.

By the way, anyone has installed In-Car Internet Hotspots System in your car?

Regards

• Like 1