• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C-Class W204 - Recommended places to install legal HID head-lights and LED tail-lights.

Benny

Erm, that's the purpose of SG-MERC right? To share good recommendations and reputable shops for the upkeep of our beloved cars.

Of course I can get the info from Google, but it would be good to know of other recommended shops to replace headlights besides our site sponsors. I know commercial reasons are important, however I hope it does not defeat the purpose of a forum which is the free sharing of knowledge and advice. Apologies if I stepped on any moderator's toes.

Just curious, but why don't you want to go to our site sponsors? I think majority of the members here did it with the site sponsors.

I am fully open to trying out our site sponsors! I did not mention that I am adverse to using our site sponsors. In fact, my car is serviced by our site sponsor.

I'm just saying that as a forum, it will be most beneficial for all forum members if all recommendations are inclusive of both site sponsors and non-sponsors. Leave it to the members to make their own choices between site sponsor or non-sponsor.

• Like 1

I am fully open to trying out our site sponsors! I did not mention that I am adverse to using our site sponsors. In fact, my car is serviced by our site sponsor.

I'm just saying that as a forum, it will be most beneficial for all forum members if all recommendations are inclusive of both site sponsors and non-sponsors. Leave it to the members to make their own choices between site sponsor or non-sponsor.

Hi i can understand where you are coming from, if this the case would anyone wants to be a site sponsor? Or would you pay for it to be one?

Hey bro, unless the whole head unit is factory original Mercedes Benz part, any modifications is deem "illegal". But generally if it's 6k and below, properly leveled, the white ants will leave you alone normally.

Maybe you can try sonic? Did both cars with them and see whether they can help to indent the original bi-xenon. don't know about others though. Cheers!

please correct me if i'm wrong but if your car didn't come with HIDs when you purchased it, it isn't legal to have one fitted aftermarket?

unless you do the full works by installing an original HID housing with autoleveling modules, etc..

gurus, please advise.

This rule applies to ALL models!! Any mods is not from See&See will void warranty.

This rule applies to ALL models!! Any mods is not from See&See will void warranty.

Correct. Verified with my SE liao

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

Eh, only that particular mod or whole car?

Depends!! Case by case basics, i wouldnt know till someone comes in here & share their experience. My previous ride Freelander changing of interior LED, I got a red card. However if the engine die on me i will claim against them but there are issues on electrical or electronics go haywire i might think again.

• Like 1

That's why the vets here have a saying, scared then don't mod, mod then don't scared.

(I not scared, but now wallet sibeh scared)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Besides our site sponsors, can someone please advise some reputable and recommended places to install HID head-lights and LED tail-lights for pre-FL W204? Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Here you go...

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?autocom=classified&req=listprod&model=Mercedes-Benz&si=HID+Conversion+Kit&cat=&car_make=Mercedes-Benz&car_model=

please correct me if i'm wrong but if your car didn't come with HIDs when you purchased it, it isn't legal to have one fitted aftermarket?

unless you do the full works by installing an original HID housing with autoleveling modules, etc..

gurus, please advise.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=124

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=26

From the last paragraph of the HID article:

"Recommended use and maintenance

In order to prolong the life of your HID headlights, it is recommended that you do not attempt to turn them off right after you have turned them on. HID bulbs normally require 60 seconds just for warming up before they can reach the normal operational temperature. Therefore, if you attempt to turn them off -- also known as short striking -- you will most likely damage them.

Similar to that, you will also damage your expensive HID bulbs if you turn them on right after you have just turned them off. This is also known as hot striking."

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

In order to prolong the life of your HID headlights, it is recommended that you do not attempt to turn them off right after you have turned them on. HID bulbs normally require 60 seconds just for warming up before they can reach the normal operational temperature. Therefore, if you attempt to turn them off -- also known as short striking -- you will most likely damage them.

Similar to that, you will also damage your expensive HID bulbs if you turn them on right after you have just turned them off. This is also known as hot striking."

Bro... But our new ride is out of our control le. Is that mean those install HID Bulb will burn off soon....?

Bro... But our new ride is out of our control le. Is that mean those install HID Bulb will burn off soon....?

Soon, we'll have C-classes with burning headlamps everywhere! I expect to have to change my lights often - just dont melt the light assembly can already!

This explains why my headlight doesn't switch off immediately under bright sunlight, after I have gotten out of the basement carpark. The light wil be on for a few minutes before turning off.

And another thing I notice the headlights will not respond to turn on when drive pass those big overhead bridge.

Unlike some other brand ride will keep brink brink on off...so irritating!!!

Overall our ride is still good in control of the light sensitivity

check with sonic racing bro so many of us go there for a reason cuz his service is top notch and he stands by his products !

Me too, installed HID 6000k on my Jetta at Sonic, already more than 6 months, without any issue. My car also with auto headlight and courtesy light. In fact, I find mine even less glaring than those original HIDs...

Will definitely do it once I get my C180K :)

Yesterday I went to Sonic and spoke to Steve about upgrading all the exterior lights on my 2008 Pre-FL W204. Steve explained in detail what I can do with my ride, and after some discussion I went with the following:

1. Tail lights change from Pre-FL to FL version - This is a tricky issue because several workshops that I called up do not do this as they can't figure out the fix for the instrumentation cluster error that pops up after installation (technical: something to do with getting the correct voltage output to the ECU).

However Steve and Warren have successfully done many of these replacements for the W204s, and are willing to troubleshoot for me if any errors pop up post-installation.

2. Change headlamp lights to xenon 6000k

3. Change fog lights to white LEDs

4. Change pole lights (the eyelid) to white LEDs

5. Change license plate lights to white LEDs

Decided against changing the fog light to DRLs, personal preference because I like the look of the fog light housing for the Pre-FL model.

Also, since Sonic also carries K&N filters, went ahead and got mine changed from them as well. (I'll post on this separately)

Dropped off the car this morning for the "facelift" and Steve was nice enough to round down the total cost so that I can use the difference to take a taxi to and from church. No problems whatsoever when I picked it up 2 hours later, and Steve personally ran me through the installed items.

Just to share some post-installation checks:

1. Get Steve to show you all the various combinations of indicators for tail lights (hazard, left, right, reverse, and a combination of these) and lamps (fog + lamps, pole+fog only etc)

2. Check if manual headlamp height adjustment capability works

3. Check if switches on our light switch dial are working correctly

Props to Steve and Warren for an excellent job done. Highly recommended.

*some advice to prospective customers*

When I was speaking to him at his shop, his phone was constantly buzzing, so I believe the best way is to go down in person to talk to him and you will have his undivided attention.

The Windsor is an old condo development, but don't worry - tell the security guard that you are going to Sonic racing and he will let you in. Park at the visitor lot and walk across to the clubhouse where his shop is located.