• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Permanently on Sport mode, how???

The part I don't understand from your explanation is how you can expect to gain acceleration by having it off when you are in a situation whereby you are losing traction.

hi bro nightfly, I believe bro Cklasse's reply above answers this. because the system plays with both brakes and throttle.

The system kicks in at the slightest hint of losing traction...

so with ESP off, if you sense the lost in traction and use throttle control to regain traction, it will still be faster as compared to having ESP on, because ESP can cut alot of power in the process where it kicks in.

Thus, ESP on vs ESP off (using throttle control), when the vehicle regains traction, the one with ESP off will be at higher acceleration power as compared to the vehicle with ESP on.

sounds logical?

The key to immortality is first living a live worth remembering - Bruce Lee

ESP intervenes when the car senses that it is going to get off the road at a bend by playing with the brakes as well as the throttle.It will rein in a wag happy tail in a bend. Anyway, ESP turns itself on automatically after certain speed, something like 60 kmh.

I am sold on this ESP that it is effective and will never turn it off.

i believe in this too bro, the ESP off button only delays its and doesnt turn it off completely...

Thank god for that.

If it turns completely off, the car is very tail happy...

if ESP turns on automatically after 60kmh, then u have to turn if off every time u stop/slow down the car?

anyway, imo, the ESP is there for a reason.. and who knows one day the auto-on function malfunctions? then it will be disastrous..

curious, how much faster acceleration did u experience without the ESP?

hi bro nightfly, I believe bro Cklasse's reply above answers this. because the system plays with both brakes and throttle.

The system kicks in at the slightest hint of losing traction...

so with ESP off, if you sense the lost in traction and use throttle control to regain traction, it will still be faster as compared to having ESP on, because ESP can cut alot of power in the process where it kicks in.

Thus, ESP on vs ESP off (using throttle control), when the vehicle regains traction, the one with ESP off will be at higher acceleration power as compared to the vehicle with ESP on.

sounds logical?

bro i believe nightfly is correct, if car already losing traction, stepping on the accelerator may just cause more wheel spin than regain traction and furthermore i believe the ESP should act differently on different wheels, driver braking applies on all wheels and so action is not same as ESP in my layman understanding and IMHO, i doubt a normal driver will be able to react quicker than the onboard computer. So having the ESP on is always good insurance policy :)

if ESP turns on automatically after 60kmh, then u have to turn if off every time u stop/slow down the car?

anyway, imo, the ESP is there for a reason.. and who knows one day the auto-on function malfunctions? then it will be disastrous..

curious, how much faster acceleration did u experience without the ESP?

Well, dont have to turn it off again because its always on, the ESP off button just delays the ESP kicking in. doesnt off it completely.

with regards to your last question, well, it doesnt make the car go faster like a 'sport' mode or anything like it.

from my experience, when i drove with ESP on, then my tail end got happy and the 'blinking triangle exlaimation mark' came on immediately. The ESP kicked in and completely cut off my control to the throttle, even after i regain traction, I wasnt able to throttle the car until about 1-2 secs later.

in another instance, with ESP off, tail happy again, 'blinking triangle exlaimation mark', and using throttle control, intermittent throttle, after regaining traction, the move off acceleration is much much faster as I was able to immediately accelerate off.

i guess the 'faster acceleration' applies here.

PS: My sincere apologises to any bros if i offended anyone in my posts, I didnt know my ESP post would spur so many comments, i am just sharing my experience and not trying to influence anyone..

Peace bros... :)

bro i believe nightfly is correct, if car already losing traction, stepping on the accelerator may just cause more wheel spin than regain traction and furthermore i believe the ESP should act differently on different wheels, driver braking applies on all wheels and so action is not same as ESP in my layman understanding and IMHO, i doubt a normal driver will be able to react quicker than the onboard computer. So having the ESP on is always good insurance policy :)

you are correct bro, stepping on the accelerator just causes more wheelspin...

Regaining traction could be achieve through throttle control, intermittent acceleration.

I had experienced numerous time ESP caught my wagging tail and brought the car back into the lane when I turned fast in a bend. It works.

Same here bro, i had similar experiences.. Very thankful for the ESP. lucky it just delays it and not completely off it.

In the wet and with my very poor traction tyres, It saved me quite a few times too.

My advice to anybody considering switching off ESP will be for them to first go read their manuals carefully and know how ESP applies to their respective models. There are differences for AMG models, for cars with ECO start/stop and even whether you have a 4 button steering wheel!

When ESP is turned off ETS (electronic traction control) remains on to brake wheels individually if they spin. However the warning from MB here is -

"Traction control cannot reduce the risk of an accident if you drive too fast.Traction control cannot override the laws of physics".

I especially love the last bit. :D

• Like 2

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Same here bro, i had similar experiences.. Very thankful for the ESP. lucky it just delays it and not completely off it.

In the wet and with my very poor traction tyres, It saved me quite a few times too.

u r going too fast :D

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Anyone who went for the C-class challenge in 2007 when the W204 was launched would have experienced the ESP working.

At one fast and sharp 90 degree turn, the ESP would take over the throttle during the turn and u feel a momentary lost of power as u try to accelerate away from the end of the turn.

From my understanding, there are 2 components at play here. One is traction control that takes care of the wheel slip while the 2nd ESP brings this traction control one step further by manipulating the individual brake and throttle to not just prevent slip but control direction as well.

• Like 1

Anyone who went for the C-class challenge in 2007 when the W204 was launched would have experienced the ESP working.

At one fast and sharp 90 degree turn, the ESP would take over the throttle during the turn and u feel a momentary lost of power as u try to accelerate away from the end of the turn.

From my understanding, there are 2 components at play here. One is traction control that takes care of the wheel slip while the 2nd ESP brings this traction control one step further by manipulating the individual brake and throttle to not just prevent slip but control direction as well.

definately felt the momentary lost of power part, :)

completely lost control of the throttle to the ESP. lolzz.... my c-class did an 'i-robot' on me.

The ESP is programmed to be very protective to the car and will snatch the control from the driver if he does not behave at a bend. At the end of the day, law of physics is still the boss.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drove the c180k 2012 in S Mode during the night drive, that night keep stepping accelerator and drag to 4000 and I was surprised the first quarter of the tank can go up to 170-180km. Tried driving in E mode and if I were to drive like how I did during the night drive, I think first quarter of the tank can only go 130km.

I drove the c180k 2012 in S Mode during the night drive, that night keep stepping accelerator and drag to 4000 and I was surprised the first quarter of the tank can go up to 170-180km. Tried driving in E mode and if I were to drive like how I did during the night drive, I think first quarter of the tank can only go 130km.

I noticed that too when looking at the gauge/display, but when i went to pump petrol and divided Km travelled by litres pumped, S mode seem to have consumed more.

No wonder, my car like always no power when I tried to accelerate after end of a 90 degree turn. I thought car something wrong. Thanks Cklasse for sharing this knowledge.

• 9 months later...