admin

SGMerc Members, PLEASE READ!!

Dear members,

having had serveral issues with the old server and software, we've decided to make the move up to a bigger and better server as well as a brand new forum software to cope with SGMerc's needs.

Despite trying to migrate and save 100% of our data, we were unable to move the user accounts over. Looking on the bright side however, we were at least able to save the 100+k posts that we had on the old forums.

Please register for a NEW account on this forum as we will not be trying to move the old accounts over anymore.

You can register for a new account by clicking on the "Create Account" box on the top right hand corner of your screen.

If you have any feedback and suggestions, please do let us know over at our feedback forum located here.

Thank you for your understanding. Hope you like the new forums!

SGMerc Admin Team

• Like 1

We lost ~3 days of data during the migration as well. Apologies.

Any questions on the new site, feel free to PM me.

Once again, thank you for your understanding.

Nice, this new server is really fast, thanks mod for making this happen, was feeling rather frustrated when accessing sgmerc.com before this upgrade. now is smooth as tofu... :wub:

the layout is also very good!

There's mobile browsing built into the system as well.

Thanks for your feedback. Kudos to snsd5555

Look out for more interesting tie ups coming this way!! :D

hi oshioyi, you can be notified on replies to previous posting. all you have to do is click on the "follow thread" button on the top-right hand corner of the thread.

post-48-0-77744800-1333004031_thumb.png

alternatively, navigate to your user control panel and you can change the settings from there to follow every thread you reply to, etc..

let me know if this works for you.

Thx bro snsd555 (Admin), finally the long wait are over! :)

Hope everything re in order. Bt our previous posts all gone, we re virgins again. :wub::P

the new website looks great, but when you insert sgmerc.com, it brings you back to the old site

that's due to caching by your browser. clear your cookies and it should be pointing to the right page now. ;)

Let me put my first post in this thread!

We are all back to 1st Gear!!

We lost ~3 days of data during the migration as well. Apologies. Any questions on the new site, feel free to PM me. Once again, thank you for your understanding.
There's mobile browsing built into the system as well. Thanks for your feedback. Kudos to snsd5555 Look out for more interesting tie ups coming this way!! :D

no hard feelings but just a thought to share with the site owner/admins....

seriously... i really appreciate the effort to migrated the site to a better server and the newer interface. Thanks for the hardwork!

however, things that occurred lead me to further thoughts...

- is it really that hard to put in a few lines of javascript to detect the browser type and change the css style(full/mobile)?

- in future upgrades of forum apps, is that going to be the same with "problem upgrade between forum version?"? (eg; re-register, lost of posts..)

i really wonder why cant u schedule a lock down of the forum with notice that from xx day and yy:yy time til zz:zz time zz day u will be doing migration and shut off the forum with maybe read only?

i know this is a not a commercial website forum nor we are paying users, but still, we all would appreciate the way the migration is handled. Personally i would prefer to have the old interface while u migrate it to a new server and take your time to migrate the content to new forum version.

Even after migration and re-reg.. the post wont know my old post and shows "Guest_USERNAME"... and its for all the old post.. seriously, it looks lame... and unsightly....

however, things that occurred lead me to further thoughts...

- is it really that hard to put in a few lines of javascript to detect the browser type and change the css style(full/mobile)?

sorry, don't really understand your question. but it definitely isn't as easy as changing the cascading style sheets. every single additional module, etc must work and display correctly in the mobile template.

- in future upgrades of forum apps, is that going to be the same with "problem upgrade between forum version?"? (eg; re-register, lost of posts..)

migration is not as simple as just running a script. we try to save as much data as we can during migration but every software is coded differently, using different SQL queries and database names for different items. it gets even more complicated with we have plugins like galleries, etc.. not to worry though, we're not looking to migrate again anytime soon. *fingers crossed*

i really wonder why cant u schedule a lock down of the forum with notice that from xx day and yy:yy time til zz:zz time zz day u will be doing migration and shut off the forum with maybe read only?

i know this is a not a commercial website forum nor we are paying users, but still, we all would appreciate the way the migration is handled. Personally i would prefer to have the old interface while u migrate it to a new server and take your time to migrate the content to new forum version.

that wasn't really an option for us. as you might know, the old servers was extremely slow and we didn't have the 'luxury' of time to migrate software/server. instead of risking crashing the server and losing all data completely, we decided to lose the 3 days of data and go ahead and do the migration using the backup file.

Even after migration and re-reg.. the post wont know my old post and shows "Guest_USERNAME"... and its for all the old post.. seriously, it looks lame... and unsightly....

apologies that you don't like the way it looks. as far as we know, there isn't a workaround for this.

thanks for your feedback! hope you enjoy the new server!

sorry, don't really understand your question. but it definitely isn't as easy as changing the cascading style sheets. every single additional module, etc must work and display correctly in the mobile template.

not easy? maybe you can try telling ur admins/developers about detecting Browser ID and add php if condition to apply the css.

migration is not as simple as just running a script. we try to save as much data as we can during migration but every software is coded differently, using different SQL queries and database names for different items. it gets even more complicated with we have plugins like galleries, etc.. not to worry though, we're not looking to migrate again anytime soon. *fingers crossed*

Of course i know its not as simple as running a script. Unless you do not know how to pull the old data from your old mysql db and re-insert it into your current mysql db schema. Its alot of manual work but at least u dont lose all the post. Also you sure have a mysql dump of the previous db, so maybe you can slowly add the missing post back in.

that wasn't really an option for us. as you might know, the old servers was extremely slow and we didn't have the 'luxury' of time to migrate software/server. instead of risking crashing the server and losing all data completely, we decided to lose the 3 days of data and go ahead and do the migration using the backup file.

apologies that you don't like the way it looks. as far as we know, there isn't a workaround for this.

thanks for your feedback! hope you enjoy the new server!

The old server is slow, not the forum software is slow. The previous forum is slow because u have server resource issues and the mysql isnt returning the result fast and later on the mysql db process basically died. Moving the old forum software and its mysql db dump into this new server, probably u will have an issue with the PHP version and mysql version which can be resolved because both would support backward compatibility. so i dont understand why "wasnt really an option".

I know so much not because i hack your server but i myself is in IT line and i observed the errors i often get when sgmerc.com isnt responding.

not easy? maybe you can try telling ur admins/developers about detecting Browser ID and add php if condition to apply the css.

i am the admin/developer, fyi.

detecting a mobile source is easy, making everything work and display correctly on the mobile device is the difficult part. if you use the mobile version/app, you will see its not only the layout that is different, the whole schematics of the entire website is different.

Of course i know its not as simple as running a script. Unless you do not know how to pull the old data from your old mysql db and re-insert it into your current mysql db schema. Its alot of manual work but at least u dont lose all the post. Also you sure have a mysql dump of the previous db, so maybe you can slowly add the missing post back in.

i think you're missing a lot of steps right there my dear sir.

yes we did an sql dump. yes we re-inserted it into the new db schema. that's why we still have all the old posts (100k+) and threads on the new forum! and that's the easy part.

moving users over however, is an entirely different story. it is not as simple as taking an sql dump and porting it into the new db. all passwords are encrypted. encryption used by different forum softwares are TOTALLY different so nothing would work even if we just dump the data into the new db. which is why we made the decision of getting users to register again for a new account.

The old server is slow, not the forum software is slow. The previous forum is slow because u have server resource issues and the mysql isnt returning the result fast and later on the mysql db process basically died. Moving the old forum software and its mysql db dump into this new server, probably u will have an issue with the PHP version and mysql version which can be resolved because both would support backward compatibility. so i dont understand why "wasnt really an option".

I know so much not because i hack your server but i myself is in IT line and i observed the errors i often get when sgmerc.com isnt responding.

it's a combination of both. the previous software was extremely resource intensive causing the sql db to lag. but cpu/ram loads weren't anywhere near the limit so i don't think it's fair to say that the server was the issue. if anything, the harddisk weren't keeping up with the requests placed by mysql. we're using quicker hdd now though and have serveral redundancies in place to prevent a repeat.

thank you for your feedback though. much appreciated.

• Like 3