• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W212 vs Rivals

Guest Chia 699

Guest Chia 699

Hi All,

Wondering what was it that made the rest of you decide to buy an E-Class sedan over the others, like the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Jaguar XF and Lexus GS.

So many I'll start the ball rolling. For me, here's the general comments and comparison:

Audi A6: Looks like a stretched A4, and image isn't elegant or classy (tends too much to the sporty side). Shares too many parts with Volkswagen too.

BMW 5 Series: Big, big bogo car. Overall size somewhat similar to E-Class, but for some strange reason, the 5 is harder to place on the road. That said, cabin quality is tops, and would easily settle for 2nd choice. Pity PML overpriced the 523i, based on OMV etc (OMV for 5 is the lowest of the bunch).

Jaguar XF: Rude saleswoman already put us off, wasn't given adequate time for test-drive. But 3.0 V6 was discovered to be very lethargic, extremely unrefined when pushed above 3000rpm. Hardly any forward movement too.

Lexus GS: Very refined, very smooth. But 3.0 V6 is surprisingly has a very high FC for a Toyota-engineered engine. A6 still a better choice.

Mercedes E Class: Granted, design is somewhat conservative (5 Series looks better), but I thought this had the best combination of interior comfort, quality, engineering etc. Service (after-sales or not) is way above par, so no regrets.

Guest Chia 699

Hmm but guys, do you think that people shopping in this segment are kind of restricted to the usual suspects? The Big German Three, the Brit, the unsuspecting Japanese, but what else is the alternative?

Infiniti? Now that Saab's gone, the 9-5 is not viable anymore.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Panamera is of a different league... At close to 370k... It's S- class level...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

Was owner of a BMW 523i F10 (and pre FL C200 W204 before the BM) .. tested the different makes, eg. Audi A6 2.0T, Jaguar XF 3.0 V6, Infiniti M37 and Lexus GS variants (diff days; 6 hrs at least in total) .. finally chosen the GS 350 F Sport.

Thought my BM was a quieter ride even when stressed as compared to the new sporty GS. It's also faster than the GS250 off the line, as the in line 6 delivers power instantaneously. However, the GS is easier to handle and relaxing to drive .. esp with the new suspension setup, it's easier on my bones when going over humps and the F Sport "sport +" going around bends is a breeze. The specs from "premium" are also much better than my stock BM. If you just need a comfort ride and good specs, the GS250 "premium" will do just fine .. some aftermarket light tune will be enough to make it more responsive. For me, the GS250 will not be able to tempt me over from my BM .. but now I am a happy owner of the GS350 F Sport .. the power and engine/exhaust with "sport +" on .. is addictive and always put a smile on my face .. priceless

Have been driving the car for more than a month now .. choice of luxurious comfort or sporty drive at the twist of a knob .. handling of the car is fantastic .. power without control is useless and Lexus has done well in this aspect with the "sport +" mode .. always looking forward to enjoy my next drive : )