• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W221 Air suspension

Guest cc low

That's way too high.....

Pump original I done at my usual workshop is 1k

Suspension is 1.8k each.

All original MB parts

Sad story. Red alert came up last Friday. Stop! Car too low....

Sent in to one of our sponsor workshop.

Diagnosis: Faulty Airmatic Pump.

After change pump front 2 absorber refuse to erect... front 2 absorber also damaged.... gonna change.

Total damage: $5,600.... FML

Bro j888, your advice to change OEM came 2 days late. was really thinking hard if I should just change OEM. Should have just go for it or at least the pump....

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

OEM suspension doesn't feel any difference from original. That's what i experience when i changed both my original rear to OEM suspension. Btw, the OEM brand is Blistein, which is also made in germany and is a reputable brand. There are others Made In China airmatic selling about $500 which I will avoid.

If car is vibrating during idling, won't be the suspension issue. Suspension is not active during stationary.

If vibrating while idling and driving then may be your spark plug, but yet u mentioned doesn't vibrate when driving.

So it still sounds more like you engine mounting although you mentioned it has been changed recently.

I had my mounting changed twice in 2 years before in my other W211, so it does happens especially if your previous new mounting may have been kept in the shelve for too long before they sell you.

• Like 1

And for the engine mounting, I used the OEM too, cost half the price.

I wanted to buy the original but the shopkeeper told me the manufacturer for the OEM and the original is the same factory.

He even took out an original and the OEM mounting and ask me to see any difference.

I could only see 1 difference - the original has a small peel off label with the word Mercedes. haha. The rest is EXACTLY the same

Actually u know what is OEM? Mercedes suppliers are called OEM. It is not marketed just as mercedes parts. Its usually the same thing

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

That's way too high.....

Pump original I done at my usual workshop is 1k

Suspension is 1.8k each.

All original MB parts

Sorry my bad there are still some stuff as follows...

Front air spring $1,755 x 2 - 5% $3,334.50

Airmatic compressor $845 - 5% $802.75

Airmatic block valve $448 - 5% $425.60

Frt LH airmatic air hose $70 - 5% $66.50

Fuse 40amp $25

Alignment $90

Labour $490

Gst $366.40

For your reference.

My first relationship is with a Japanese. Raw n pure. Then I move on for a Korea born American. Quiet n demure. I broke off with her for a China bitch. She so eye catching but her emotions is crazy. I decided to let go. Went for pure Korean then. The feeling was good. Realized she is too small for my size. I quit Korea and got myself a huge American mother fxxker. She so loud n powerful. She seems couldn't have enough of my ramming. Always asking for more. I felt like a king. But maintenance is crazy. Meanwhile I had a affair with another even bigger Amercian. The feeling was good. Get to choose riding who each day. Finally I'm tired. One day I decided I think I wanna try a German and I got her. This is the best one ever. Sleek... Quiet... Ready to charge anytime... I promise I will be faithful this time round and ride on her and on her only. Her name is Mercedes-Benz....

OEM suspension doesn't feel any difference from original. That's what i experience when i changed both my original rear to OEM suspension. Btw, the OEM brand is Blistein, which is also made in germany and is a reputable brand. There are others Made In China airmatic selling about $500 which I will avoid.

If car is vibrating during idling, won't be the suspension issue. Suspension is not active during stationary.

If vibrating while idling and driving then may be your spark plug, but yet u mentioned doesn't vibrate when driving.

So it still sounds more like you engine mounting although you mentioned it has been changed recently.

I had my mounting changed twice in 2 years before in my other W211, so it does happens especially if your previous new mounting may have been kept in the shelve for too long before they sell you.

And for the engine mounting, I used the OEM too, cost half the price.

I wanted to buy the original but the shopkeeper told me the manufacturer for the OEM and the original is the same factory.

He even took out an original and the OEM mounting and ask me to see any difference.

I could only see 1 difference - the original has a small peel off label with the word Mercedes. haha. The rest is EXACTLY the same

Actually u know what is OEM? Mercedes suppliers are called OEM. It is not marketed just as mercedes parts. Its usually the same thing

Thanks all for the great deal of infos. I'm heading back to the workshop later to check on the vibration. Actually bearable vibrations la but it feels like a taxi. So a bit buay shiok for the fact that it's a S class some more.

Dear bros, any indication how much should the engine mountings cost me??

My first relationship is with a Japanese. Raw n pure. Then I move on for a Korea born American. Quiet n demure. I broke off with her for a China bitch. She so eye catching but her emotions is crazy. I decided to let go. Went for pure Korean then. The feeling was good. Realized she is too small for my size. I quit Korea and got myself a huge American mother fxxker. She so loud n powerful. She seems couldn't have enough of my ramming. Always asking for more. I felt like a king. But maintenance is crazy. Meanwhile I had a affair with another even bigger Amercian. The feeling was good. Get to choose riding who each day. Finally I'm tired. One day I decided I think I wanna try a German and I got her. This is the best one ever. Sleek... Quiet... Ready to charge anytime... I promise I will be faithful this time round and ride on her and on her only. Her name is Mercedes-Benz....

My only concern, how would I know if I pay original price and gotten OEM parts if they is really no diff??

engine mounting approx 400+ for original, 200+ for OEM, exclude labour

You have to trust the workshop that when you pay original price, they didn't use OEM cos you can't tell the difference when u drive

Best is you are there to see them physically install into your car, or at least see that the parts that come in is original before installation

I usually will be there to see the parts they install on my car. OEM have no MB logo their bear their own company logo

My only concern, how would I know if I pay original price and gotten OEM parts if they is really no diff??

• 2 months later...

Hi Bro, Front air spring 2 piece total $3334.50 exclude labour before GST. Logically is it original or OEM?

Hi Bro, Front air spring 2 piece total $3334.50 exclude labour before GST. Logically is it original or OEM?

OEM Blistein $900+ each

MB Original $2100+ each

A little mismatch with your $3334.50 for 2 pieces. My guess is yours belongs to OEM with the seller earning a high profit margin. I have heard of shops selling OEM at $1800 per piece with installation

Could be original MB , check with workshop

I ask for original. He said original 2k each. He gave me some discount. I said ok install original. Now i realise it blistien. That was in june. What can i do? Its one of our site sponsor somemore... damm

If you were charged the original amount you may raise your issue with case. Check your receipt

My only worry is they accuse me of going outside change then come blame them. Hopefully they just guai guai change back for me.

The saddening part is they are our site sponsor. I tot at least they look reputable... so i was wrong...

• 3 months later...

Just changed both front airmatic shocks at C&C. Total damage around S$9k. Tried to get OEM version outside but was told there was no stock in the whole of Singapore. After I collected my car from C&C, got a call from Chip Soon telling me that they have stock and can do it for under S$4k. Only difference is C&C gives two-year warranty but OEM shocks come with no warranty. 

However, I have to say that after I collected my car and drove it, I was really impressed. The car feels brand new. Super smooth, quiet and comfortable. I'm very happy with it.

Can PM the workshop for this?

OEM Blistein $900+ each

MB Original $2100+ each

A little mismatch with your $3334.50 for 2 pieces. My guess is yours belongs to OEM with the seller earning a high profit margin. I have heard of shops selling OEM at $1800 per piece with installation

• 1 month later...

I took my car to Chip Soon to have front suspension control arms and air suspension pump changed. They did a very good job and charged a lot less. Also used Mercedes original parts.  Funny thing is, they looked at the air suspension I bought from C&C and told me it's NOT the original Mercedes one.

• 7 months later...
On 08/11/2013 at 10:02 AM, deus_ex71 said:

U guys can consider ordering the part in from Arnott's in the US and asking your garage to install. For my GL I changed all 4. Cost of parts and shipment was $1.5k delivered within the week. MBM charged $800 labour.

Hi, don't you have to "trade in " your old struts  When you buy from Arnotts?

AFAIK, theirs are recon sets, wonder how Long these recon sets could last? Do share verdict of the arnott struts. Thanks.  

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Happy new year to all!

My turn to see the yellow sign of malfunction tonight: left front was much lower, and mileage was only about 19k!!. Somehow after I restarted the car, the error message disappeared from dashboard but right side front n rear were higher; (left side not 'normal' height).  ride were much stiffer as if on S mode. 

Did the left front airmatic die, or did the air pump malfunction? Many thanks in advance for any advise. Thanks. 

42 minutes ago, MasterGMT said:

Hi all,

Happy new year to all!

My turn to see the yellow sign of malfunction tonight: left front was much lower, and mileage was only about 19k!!. Somehow after I restarted the car, the error message disappeared from dashboard but right side front n rear were higher; (left side not 'normal' height).  ride were much stiffer as if on S mode. 

Did the left front airmatic die, or did the air pump malfunction? Many thanks in advance for any advise. Thanks. 

Most likely time to change the airmatic soon. Pump should be fine