• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Petrol Smell

Guest eric19

Hi All

Recently, my '05 E200 started to emit petrol smell after pumping full tank (which I usually do). 2 weeks ago, the smell was unberable even after 2 days of usage, so I send it to SB to check. They discovered a leak in the fuel pump which caused the petrol to flow out into the back seat area (not alot but bad enough to cause the smell to last so long). Off they changed the fuel pump and some other parts. All was well after that, but yesterday, the smell came back again.

Off it went to SB this morning and lo and behold, another new discovery. Some valves near the fuel tank started to leak due to "wear and tear" because our fuel tank is not steel but made of plastic. So to remove the fuel tank, they have to dismantle the drive shaft and other parts......damn troublesome :-((

Car is now in SB , hopefully they can do some magic otherwise have to replace the entire fuel tank.

Anyone has this problem ?

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jhun_4040 wrote:

i know how u feel bro. my car juz got that also 1 month ago. same went to star black and did a major operation.

lucky is car nv leak until boomX

Boomz= merc convoy + merc hearse:becky:

Hi Eric

Did u notice ur mileage reduced drastically during the leak? Am suspecting same prob as urs :(

eric19 wrote:

Hi All

Recently, my '05 E200 started to emit petrol smell after pumping full tank (which I usually do). 2 weeks ago, the smell was unberable even after 2 days of usage, so I send it to SB to check. They discovered a leak in the fuel pump which caused the petrol to flow out into the back seat area (not alot but bad enough to cause the smell to last so long). Off they changed the fuel pump and some other parts. All was well after that, but yesterday, the smell came back again.

Off it went to SB this morning and lo and behold, another new discovery. Some valves near the fuel tank started to leak due to "wear and tear" because our fuel tank is not steel but made of plastic. So to remove the fuel tank, they have to dismantle the drive shaft and other parts......damn troublesome :-((

Car is now in SB , hopefully they can do some magic otherwise have to replace the entire fuel tank.

Anyone has this problem ?

Thanks

...seems like i have another petrol smell kaki here :becky:, jhun, is your model same as mine ? how much was your damage , can share ?

jtang, i have never seen a merc hearse before only volvo.....:hand:, yep, luckily the fumes did not come into contact with any sparks etc, otherwise i will be writing this from up there liao...:becky::becky:

iankaw, never notice any drop in my mileage during that period, only the smell was unberable, when it first happened, i could smell it from my 4th floor unit of my house, its that bad.:shocked:

Guest jhun_4040

mine is 05 w211, should be same model. price wise.. let not mentioned it, hurts my pocket again.

but then, for the complexity of the work and labour, this kind of money is no choice have to spend..

Guest jhun_4040

eric19 wrote:

...got back my ride yesterday...yes, pocket hurts deep deep :Cry::Cry:

let's see if the problem persist.

cheers

bro, dun rock the back seat so much, u know wat i mean. :whistle:

Guest hkhamateur

eric19 wrote:

...seems like i have another petrol smell kaki here :becky:, jhun, is your model same as mine ? how much was your damage , can share ?

jtang, i have never seen a merc hearse before only volvo.....:hand:, yep, luckily the fumes did not come into contact with any sparks etc, otherwise i will be writing this from up there liao...:becky::becky:

iankaw, never notice any drop in my mileage during that period, only the smell was unberable, when it first happened, i could smell it from my 4th floor unit of my house, its that bad.:shocked:

Bro Eric, tat's reali bad man! :tsk:

Fm 4th flr can smell too!! Think if its me, call Civil defense liao! :shocked:

Scared later when crack start engine, explore n I'll b writg in this forum fm upstair too! :becky:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eric19

hkhamateur wrote:

Bro Eric, tat's reali bad man! :tsk:

Fm 4th flr can smell too!! Think if its me, call Civil defense liao! :shocked:

Scared later when crack start engine, explore n I'll b writg in this forum fm upstair too! :becky:

...well that was what my wife felt about the fumes, but i guess its quite safe. I even managed to removed the back seat, removed the cover to the fuel pump and soak up the fuel that leaked from the tank, almost 3/4 cup full ...(:-(...last saturday when the sun was out and hot, I removed the back seat to air the whole car just to rid of the pertrol smell....

why they had to designed a fuel tank which is made of plastic .... :-(9

Guest jhun_4040

eric19 wrote:

...well that was what my wife felt about the fumes, but i guess its quite safe. I even managed to removed the back seat, removed the cover to the fuel pump and soak up the fuel that leaked from the tank, almost 3/4 cup full ...(:-(...last saturday when the sun was out and hot, I removed the back seat to air the whole car just to rid of the pertrol smell....

why they had to designed a fuel tank which is made of plastic .... :-(9

so u din get it rectify ? juz a temp solution ??

Guest eric19

jhun_4040 wrote:

so u din get it rectify ? juz a temp solution ??

..coming soon...new tank on its way, should be installing sometime next week.

for now, can only pump till below 3 quarter, otherwise petrol will overflow...

Guest jhun_4040

eric19 wrote:

..coming soon...new tank on its way, should be installing sometime next week.

for now, can only pump till below 3 quarter, otherwise petrol will overflow...

woo, where u did it ? Star black ?

common problem for pre FL E200. It happened to mine, went to a few shop and was told fuel tank leaking need to replace whole tank at abt $1200. Finally went to MBM, mentioned to me they will send car to C&C for a "patch kit", paid $300 and the smell is forever gone.

j888 wrote:

common problem for pre FL E200. It happened to mine, went to a few shop and was told fuel tank leaking need to replace whole tank at abt $1200. Finally went to MBM, mentioned to me they will send car to C&C for a "patch kit", paid $300 and the smell is forever gone.

wah...bang balls:Cry:..should have come in to this thread earlier. can save me a bundle. where was your leak discovered ? mine at the centre portion ...will post picture later.

busdriver wrote:

Thot this was a recall item that C&C did some time back. I still remember seeing a lot of the e class fuel tank stacked up behind the ubi workshop on the ground floor.

...do they (C&C) still warrant a 6 year old ride ?

• 5 years later...

Hi W211 bros,

I faced this petrol smell since yesterday night and the fuel odour has become unbearable. It happened after a full pump at one Shell petrol station in JB.

Mine is E230 Y2007 July.

Will attempt to resolve first on my own to avoid "kaboom" situation.

Any bro here care to share what is the repair patch?  Still available for $300. Its far better than replacing the whole fuel tank right? :0

I open the rear bench seat and think i  found the problem spot. See attached photos. Haven't have time to open up the fuel filter round cover for cleanup.

20170122_112410.jpg

20170122_112430.jpg

20170122_112435.jpg