• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 DIY Aluminium Pedal Upgrade

Guest benzw124

Guest benzw124

Hi everyone,

Im not too sure how many W124s are left here, but I recently modified the pedals on my car to take the new style aluminium pedals and thought you guys would like to know how its done.

Things you will need:

1) a large pen knife

2) a pair of sharp scissors or shears

3) some old news paper

4) access to your cooking stove(will explain later)

5) aluminium gas pedal (A170 300 00 04)

6) aluminium brake pedal (A170 290 01 82)

7) aluminium parking brake pedal (A203 430 00 84)

P1010008.jpg

The parking brake and brake pedal are pretty self explanatory. Just remove the old ones and stretch the new aluminium ones back on and you are done. You could use a small flat head screw driver to pry the rubber from behind but I just used my fingers.

The difficult part is getting out the accelerator pedal as you do need to remove all the carpets and wiggle the thing out. The carpets are easily removed by just lifting them up and sliding them away. This will expose the metal floor and you will need to remove a small plastic clip at the base of the pedal. You can then lift the pedal off its base and swing it to the left. The hole behind the rubber is slightly oblong which allows it to slip out when in the right position. The picture below shows how the hole is shaped and should give you a clearer understanding of how to remove it. Whatever you do, do not use bull strength to force it off the assembly.

P1000995.jpg

Now that you have removed the accelerator pedal assembly from the car, you will realise that the aluminium pedal cover is slightly smaller than the W124 version. This is why we need to modify the W124 pedal assembly to make it fit.

P1000996.jpg

Firstly, you will have to remove the W124 rubber cover and the aluminium one from their respective assemblies. The W124 one slides out but you will need to cut through the rubber on the aluminium one to slide it off. You then use the aluminium cover to estimate how much needs to be cut off on the W124 assembly.

P1000999.jpg

The W124 assembly is made of plastic and I used a heated pen knife(hence the stove) to slice through it. I took about an inch off the top and slightly less than half an inch off the sides in total. Take a tiny bit off at a time and use the aluminium pedal cover to check each time you cut through. There is also a small lip at the bottom of the plastic assembly that i removed so that the aluminium pedal cover can slide all the way down and sit nicely on the assembly. Clean the pen knife on the old news paper each time you cut to remove the melted plastic and re heat the pen knife as you go along. Do it in a well ventilated area as the fumes from the melted plastic is probably quite toxic and you wont want to breathe too much of it in.

P1010001.jpg

The finish product should look something like this. Do not cut too much off the pedal assembly so that the aluminium cover fits snugly and wont slide out while driving. You could also put some glue at the back to hold it in place more securely but it was not necessary for my case.

P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Now put everything back together and enjoy your new pedals!

P1010008.jpg

Disclaimer: Please use common sense when modifying your pedal. If you are not confident at doing it, seek professional help. I am in no way responsible for any damage or injury as a result of you doing the modifications on your pedal or the modifications itself.

PS: Oh the pedals were cheap from Tye Soon. They were less than SGD80 for the set. You could also order them from eBay or other websites but its much more expensive and you have to wait.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackknight

kepiting1sg wrote:

Look for jun_4040 & his frying pan!.....U want some???.....muhahahaha! :lol:

I KNOW ! He was with me at TPY last week mah.....:becky::becky::becky:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest benzw124

keltanky wrote:

I didn't cut the aluminum rubber, used WD40 to removed and fixed back original with ease.

Thats a great idea! I didn't think of that when I did mine... darn. Mine is still very tight though and they have been working great. The shorter accelerator pedal kind of makes it more sporty? Haha im not sure whether a W124 can be called sporty, but it definitely makes it easier to step more gas.

• 6 years later...