• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Anyone interested??

keltanky

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Sareve

Looks pretty average for a 4 year old car used as a daily driver. If anyone here wants to buy, I can help to point out all the potential problems to check for first.

• 1 year later...
Guest toycarz

Looks pretty average for a 4 year old car used as a daily driver. If anyone here wants to buy, I can help to point out all the potential problems to check for first.

Hi,

I am loooking for a used SL350 or SLK350. Can share some pointers/experience what to look out for?

Guest Sareve

Well firstly, you should go test drive the both of them. They are WORLDS apart in terms of comfort. I have used an SL350 as a daily driver for around 2 years and I have had the opportunity to drive a few SLKs.

Allow me to first list the advantages an SLK350 has over the SL350:

SLK is MUCH cheaper, almost half the price if I'm not wrong.

Better performance, higher acceleration, better handling. Some SLK350 owners have reported horrendous traction with stock setups, but nonetheless, I feel that lower weight + approximately equal engine power = better all round performance.

Now the advantages of an SL350:

It is by FAR more comfortable than an SLK. Sound proofing is top notch if the roof is closed and it feels ever bit as luxurious as an S350. Leather and carbon fibre is used all over the interior. In contrast, the SLK's interior looks alot more plasticky and there's less leather around. SLK doesn't even have the COMMAND Aps (not sure about latest model). You basically get what you pay for here.

SL has far more storage space, the boot is huge and there are tons of storage compartments located all over the car.

SL can fit 3 people quite comfortably and you can push it to 4 if everyone's reasonably small sized.

More convenience functions such as the Brake Holding function, button start comes standard, in-car phone functions, address book storage etc.

Looks more masculine and in my opinion, much more stylish. On the down side, most people don't know what car it actually is because it's less common.

Now my family's SL350 is 4 years old already and is relatively problem free. Make sure you check that the back panels are still intact, mine fell off pretty quickly. They are these two little flaps where the metal arms that hold the roof up come out of. They stay open when the roof is on and close when the roof is off. The COMMAND Aps can get a little buggy, sometimes it won't start unless you turn the car off and turn it on again. The carbon fibre panels get scratched easily and the rubber buttons like the hazard light peel as well, be sure to examine them. That's about it, the SL is truly a great, convenient daily driver and won't give you any problems at all :thumbsup:

Make sure to send any car you really want to buy for a Pre-Purchase Inspection done by a workshop of your choice. My SL needed quite a hell lot of worn parts replaced at the 4 year mark, make sure that whatever car you buy is mechanically worthy.

Guest toycarz

Thanks for sharing the checklist :)

O...didn't know SL350 can sit more than 2 :tazzie: The rear "seats" looks pretty small, I thot those are just extra spacewhere if I have super long legs or can put some stuff :P The salesman told me those are for kids....lol Looks like the salesman doesn't really know the car.

Command Aps, that is interesting, the guy never even introduce to me...gotta check if that unit have it or not.

Guest Sareve

The salesman probably doesn't know much about the car, the ones at the Facelifted SL launch sure didn't know a thing! You can actually open the bench to put tons of stuff inside, and it's very easy to fit 1 person there. My friend actually fell asleep in the car while lying on the bench before.

Essentially the Command Aps is the central LCD screen in above the air-con controls that is obviously not present in the SLK. My SL350 has absolutely no options since it was my first car, so whatever I have, all other SLs should have.