• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Repair Blog

g8crasher

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mr w124

Hi Mike, i wont be free this weekend so next weekend sounds good. weekdays r out for me. i'll get back to u on when i can make it. n thanks alot man.

Redbell, u driving a 124 too?

okay mr w124... u r welcome. =) redbell wat problem do ur car have? servicing in jb is rather cheap depends on wat oil u r using. buy ur oil filter and plugs here. if u r interested u can join me and mr w124 to JB and i will introduce my mech there.

Guest millionmilebenz

MMB, how can we tell whether the steering box is loose? i have some freeplay but not sure if it should be changed yet.

Hi Mr W124! So sorry I had missed your question from way back. If you get free play of more than a few degrees while at the neutral position, then your steering box probably needs some tightening up. A mechanic (or you can even do it yourself) can tighten the steering with a wrench to turn the bolt located outside of the steering box. However, if it can't be turned anymore (i.e. it has been tightened too many times before), then you'll have to replace the steering box.

Hope this helps.

mr w124 don't tighten the steering box too much if not the steering won't turn back when u do a turn or a u-turn. as for wat bro bk had ask i think the legal way is get LTA compliant muffler. can head down to Autovox for sebring

Shall we set it on next saturday morning? redbell u going to do servicing? get ur oil filter, spark plugs here. its cheaper. get ur air filter here if u r going to change it too. if u need help with parts i will gladly help. =) for oil wise depends on wat u want to use.

Guest millionmilebenz

Shall we set it on next saturday morning? redbell u going to do servicing? get ur oil filter, spark plugs here. its cheaper. get ur air filter here if u r going to change it too. if u need help with parts i will gladly help. =) for oil wise depends on wat u want to use.

Hi redbell!

I agree with Mike - get your parts here from a trusted shop. It's either about same price or even cheaper, and you have better ease of mind.

As for the motor oil to use, you can refer to this discussion - http://sgmerc.com/forum/index.php?topic=1027.0

Thanx MMB... =) if the car is not consuming oil i suggest using semi syn oil with a 30 rating. i m using it on my 16valves running great. u feel that acc is lighter.

i m not too sure about the price but the muffler u can get it from Autovox which is situated @ Tagore Lane just opp the Thomson used car centre. but bk u r driving 8valves or 16 valves?

btw, i notice that some car seat for 124 are higher and some quite low. i had tried lowed to max but still seems very high. any idea if we can lower the seats both driver and passenger side? Also, can 124 change side mirror to w210?

bro bk i m not too sure about the seat issue. i think the height got to do with the spring that is underneath the seat. as for the side mirror i think there r some which look like those M3 style mirror for W124. they r pretty nice on w124 =)