• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

air con gas

Guest ripclaw

Guest ripclaw

My B is only abt a year plus and had to top up my air con gas already! Is this common?

I've heard ppl say that if you need to top up your air con, something is leaking in the system. Is that true? the guy who topped up my gas said because now the pipes are made of alum, not copper so the heat from the engine gets into the alum and evaporates the gas faster.....doesnt sound very logical. Any bros out there with any experience on this?

I was thinking of topping up and monitor, then if still no gas, i'll throw it back to CnC.

Also, my wife was asking if they topped it up fully.....and i was not sure. How to check if they top it up fully? the guy say my gas is empty so the initial charge will top it up very fast. this sound logical, but is it true?

Guest blackmercs

This is not a norm!! U shld bring it back to C&C for rectification. Air con leaking in the joint shld be the cause, unlikely the compressor & coil issue. My previous ride having the same issue, I send it back to c&c twice. The first time they couldn't trace it & pump in some color gases to trace the leak as they r unable to detect the leak visually. Less than a week I send it for major repair as the air con is not cold at all.

My advise u get it fix at once!! Without a air con system running, when driving during raining day is extremely dangerous!! Reason is that u tends to closed all the windows, next u will attempt to switch on the air blower!! Guess what, yr Windscreen will hv mist building up so fast till u lost yr visibility at the front. I m speaking from experience!! Go & get it repair at once since is under warranty!!

As for the amount of gas inside the system, there is a gauge for measure the pressure.

Guest knighthunter

last month my B170 aircon also not cool send it to alexandra they told me refrigerant is not enough, means leaking but they can't trace the leak. Similar to blackmercs they put leak detector on each joint (paints) and ask me to drive the car and if the aircon not cool again they know where is the leak. Now 1 months plus already so far no problem.

My car is 1 year 8 months now.

Guest ripclaw

mine is about the same. around 1 year 7 months. so this is the build quality of a merc?

air con leaking so soon? I think my previous jap SUV, never top up ac before, or maybe only once in 5 years!

Guest blackmercs

ripclaw wrote:

mine is about the same. around 1 year 7 months. so this is the build quality of a merc?

air con leaking so soon? I think my previous jap SUV, never top up ac before, or maybe only once in 5 years!

Hahaha I get a shock on my last ride too!!

Guest knighthunter

Yeah quality of B Klasse is quite questionable, my experience and downtime:

1. Oven/Burnt smell --> close to 10 days total

2. Air con regulator blow (30A fuse blew), replace complete unit --> 2 days

3. Air con gas leak --> 1 day

I found only C&C in Alexandra gives good service

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ripclaw

i went to Pandan Loop. Everytime tell me no replacement car and expect me to drive around and keep topping up the gas??!??! They ask me to leave the car when i'm on business trip. As if i'm everytime flying off on a trip. Even if i do, its a short trip and not enough time for them to fix everything with the car!

Guest blackmercs

ripclaw wrote:

i went to Pandan Loop. Everytime tell me no replacement car and expect me to drive around and keep topping up the gas??!??! They ask me to leave the car when i'm on business trip. As if i'm everytime flying off on a trip. Even if i do, its a short trip and not enough time for them to fix everything with the car!

Bro just leave the car there & get it repair. Forget abt the courtesty car, same with my case previously they unable to provide one & gives alot of bullshit!! Else go there bang table demand to see the person in charge!!

• 10 months later...

Digging this thread up as I am facing the same problem with my air con unit.

Any success story with fellow B class owners on the problem being fixed ?

I did get my car diagnosed there and was quoted 4K plus to replace the evaporator (is that the same as a condenser ?). Not to mention diagnostic fees.

Anyway I don't mind the diagnostic fees (although the result is just "evaporator leaked") because I am quite determined to understand what really went wrong.

Guest blackmercs

aspade wrote:

I did get my car diagnosed there and was quoted 4K plus to replace the evaporator (is that the same as a condenser ?). Not to mention diagnostic fees.

Anyway I don't mind the diagnostic fees (although the result is just "evaporator leaked") because I am quite determined to understand what really went wrong.

Air con issue is not straight forward to troubleshoot. The usual suspect is coil leaking resulted cooling lost. Remember to change the compressor together with cooling coil too. Usually they go as a pair. If not thinking of saving some mula by replacing either one part u will most likely end up replacing both.

For a start, pump in gas & monitor for a week. Check for the pressure if drops drastically meanings there is a leak. Usually they will pump in some tracer gas to detect the leaking points which is hard to detect it. So mostly likely u got to replace the entire set. Damage for new set will cost but u might consider recon set!! Hope this helps!! Don't wait too long & hope no rain too. Good luck!!

Do look for DarkAv he can advise you on this issue.

Guest jhun_4040

aspade wrote:

Nope, the evaporator is not the same as the condenser, from a mechanical point of view.

Guest kepiting1sg

jhun_4040 wrote:

Nope, the evaporator is not the same as the condenser, from a mechanical point of view.

Aircon sifu!

The evaporator in layman term is the cooling coil just like your house split unit aircon where the fan blow over it to cool the car/room.

The freon after expanding gets hot & go to the condenser which usually sit in front of the radiator like the condenser that sit outside your house to get cool.

Is this correct sifu or should I go to sit under the Bodhi tree to seek further enlightenment? :lol:

I have gone ahead with the Motor-Aire and solved the problem.

The service is good and I got my car back within a day, with the evaporator / cooling coil and valve replaced. The cost is a faction of the quoted price by slaughter house Si&Si.

Highly recommended !!!

Thanks for all the fellow forumer's help in advising.

Guest wintercold

i find that my the aircon of my B is not cold enough. Even my 2nd car Altis is much colder! Wonder if there is something wrong the aircon system. Will feedback to C&C during the next servicing which is due soon.

Guest knighthunter

wintercold wrote:

i find that my the aircon of my B is not cold enough. Even my 2nd car Altis is much colder! Wonder if there is something wrong the aircon system. Will feedback to C&C during the next servicing which is due soon.

If you put the temperature dial to coldest setting and air con not cold, confirmmed you have problem with air con system. My car air con was problematic but it was rectified by See&See after make serious complaint last year regulator and evaporator were replaced and I left my car for about 1 week (luckily they gave me courtesy car). Anyway I traded my B170 with C180K this week I hope I will better experience with C class.

Guest wintercold

knighthunter wrote:

If you put the temperature dial to coldest setting and air con not cold, confirmmed you have problem with air con system. My car air con was problematic but it was rectified by See&See after make serious complaint last year regulator and evaporator were replaced and I left my car for about 1 week (luckily they gave me courtesy car). Anyway I traded my B170 with C180K this week I hope I will better experience with C class.

i put the temp on my B to 22 deg, can only feel a little bit of cold air only. whereas my altis is freezing cold when i set it to the same temp

Guest knighthunter

wintercold wrote:

i put the temp on my B to 22 deg, can only feel a little bit of cold air only. whereas my altis is freezing cold when i set it to the same temp

B class air con is dumb version, set on 22 (middle) confirm it not so cold also if outside temp drop to 25 degree C when it raining the air con will start become heater by emitting hot air instead cold air.

• 5 months later...

I just topup mine and is working fine for 2 months, very cold too. I did it at Woodland PK E and cost me S$38. They just connect to the machine and takes only a few mins. They can even tell you how much gas is left inside unlike CnC. They tell you is in working conditions and normal.

• Like 1

I just topup mine and is working fine for 2 months, very cold too. I did it at Woodland PK E and cost me S$38. They just connect to the machine and takes only a few mins. They can even tell you how much gas is left inside unlike CnC. They tell you is in working conditions and normal.

Whats yr ride? & YOM? Is not a norm that u needs to top up air con gas.