• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

AMG Steering For W209

Guest Longshanks

Guest Longshanks

Folks, thinking of replacing the stock steering wheel of my W209 200K with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-SL-R230-CLK-W209-W211-AMG-Steering-Wheel-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ330364097160QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Grateful for any advice on the following:

1. Will the paddle shifters be usable? Can they be wired to function?

2. Will the stock W209 airbag unit fit?

3. Will the steering wheel functions (menu, scroll etc.) work without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jan999

yes, it would fit.

paddle shifter u can go autospritze to hook it up, cost u ard 300-400 for workmanship, but its aftermarket style hook up, not ready wired.

airbag can use back, no prob, all buttons are in one unit as per the air bag unit, so can use back, no worries.

Guest BenzModz

In 2005 CLK it can work without modification. In older cars you need a circuit board for the paddles.

Then you also need a transmission controller capable of understanding the paddle shift signal.

Guest BenzModz

Longshanks wrote:

Hi, BenzModz. Thanks for chiming in. Me lady's an '07. Would it be plug-n-play then?

Yes it will be ok. You will need to have the dealer add code 428 to your chassis number and have them flash your Transmission controller.

Guest blackknight

BenzModz wrote:

Yes it will be ok. You will need to have the dealer add code 428 to your chassis number and have them flash your Transmission controller.

a question - can the SLK AMG sports steering (FL) be fixed onto the pre-FL SLK?

Guest BenzModz

blackknight wrote:

a question - can the SLK AMG sports steering (FL) be fixed onto the pre-FL SLK?

SLK R171 and C-Class W203 SEDAN 2005-2008 have the same steering wheel.

So long as the airbag fits then it would be the same.

I used to have an AMG R171 steering wheel on my W203. However, looking at the 2010 SLK I notice the AMG steering wheel is not round.

Just look at the shape of the steering wheel to see if the airbag is the same.

Hi benzmodz may I enquire where abts the dealer (pls dont say C&C hahahaha)thats able to add code 428 to your chassis number and have them flash your Transmission controller ?? I'm looking to do that for my W204 C200.

Guest blackknight

BenzModz wrote:

SLK R171 and C-Class W203 SEDAN 2005-2008 have the same steering wheel.

So long as the airbag fits then it would be the same.

I used to have an AMG R171 steering wheel on my W203. However, looking at the 2010 SLK I notice the AMG steering wheel is not round.

Just look at the shape of the steering wheel to see if the airbag is the same.

if you get the whole set (steering with airbag) will it fit? will the paddle shift still work? thks

Guest BenzModz

rssid wrote:

Hi benzmodz may I enquire where abts the dealer (pls dont say C&C hahahaha)thats able to add code 428 to your chassis number and have them flash your Transmission controller ?? I'm looking to do that for my W204 C200.

When the car is on the diagnostic there is a function called RETROFITS in the same screen as the short test. It is the 4th option in most cases.

Using his dealer password he will enter this option and add code 428 to the car and hit enter.

After 20 min or so he will then go to the Transmission controller and perform SCN coding.

There is a way to do this manually with experienced user but that information is specific to a car chassis and not generic for all cars. So in that sense there is no universal "hack" for this. The dealer is the best option.

The othe way is for the dealer to email your request to a "Level 4" VeDoc user who can modify your Datacard which is held centrally at Mercedes. Then after this modification some time later you can perform SCN on the transmission controller.

They should not laugh. It is very easy for them to do it - if they want to.

Guest BenzModz

blackknight wrote:

if you get the whole set (steering with airbag) will it fit? will the paddle shift still work? thks

If you changed your steering wheel (sports package) to an AMG or Black Series steering wheel solution (with airbag) then there is no reason why it will not work.

The metal can that is seen inside CLK W209 FL is already integrated in the airbag of the SLK.

:becky:

Guest Longshanks

Hi, Benzmodz. Will you be able to sort this out (i.e. procure and install steering)? If so, wot's the damage? Thanks.

BenzModz wrote:

Guest BenzModz

Longshanks wrote:

Hi, Benzmodz. Will you be able to sort this out (i.e. procure and install steering)? If so, wot's the damage? Thanks.

If you wish to have a quote on Black Series or 2010 AMG solution then please send a request to Cerano in this forum.

• 5 years later...

In 2005 CLK it can work without modification. In older cars you need a circuit board for the paddles. Then you also need a transmission controller capable of understanding the paddle shift signal.

Hi BenzModz,

i've just read your thread regarding to the paddle shifter retrofit for CLK W209

i'm about to install the new wheel with the paddle shifter

my car is late 2002 CLK240 W209 COupe
(my old wheel doesn't come with the paddle shifter)

if you could do me a favour for the information, it would be very much appreciate it 

really need your advise in regards to do this retrofitting, what parts do i need to purchase? (i've got the CLK63 AMG wheel with me already)

Do i need to just swap The Wheel ONLY? plug and play and afterwards get the dealer to add code 428 in the VEDOK database and SCN code the car ?

you've mentioned on the thread that for older CLK W209 before 2005, it will need Circuit Board for the paddles and i also need a transmission controller capable of understanding the paddle shift signal
i'm really confuse what does circuit board that i need and the transmission controller?
your advise will be very helpful

The wheel that i've got here is complete with all the wires related with the paddles shifter as i've bought it completely removed from CLK63 AMG from car wrecker junkyard (except the airbag and the clock spring i didn't buy it)

We DON'T have to change the clock spring or contact ring right? so i still can use my old stock clock spring/contact ring and the old stock airbag?
are all the wires still remain the same without adding new wires?

if you could do me a favour in helping me in regards to the parts that i need to buy with all the necessary information by emailing me at [email protected], it would be very very much appreciate it 

Thank You Very Much BenzModz
Jul a8aw77