• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C-Class W204 Problem

Guest cisconet

Tok tok sound gone. suspect batch issue confirmed. but not sure if they change to the same damper produced by the same manufacturer. Anyone can confirm this? cos, this tok tok gets louder over time.

Alignment is within "my tolerable threshold". Does not skew dangerously to the left now.

I noticed if the steering wheel is turned all the way to the end, it will produce a faint stressed motor sound. Is this normal? Any advice? TIA

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest achuafc

skoder wrote:

Tok tok sound gone. suspect batch issue confirmed. but not sure if they change to the same damper produced by the same manufacturer. Anyone can confirm this? cos, this tok tok gets louder over time.

Alignment is within "my tolerable threshold". Does not skew dangerously to the left now.

I noticed if the steering wheel is turned all the way to the end, it will produce a faint stressed motor sound. Is this normal? Any advice? TIA

My W204 C180 CGI steers a "little" to the left too, but it's within my threshold too. No biggie.

As to the "faint motor sound" as you steer to either extreme, yes, it is there. Maybe it's a "signal" to the driver that you've reached the end.

No tok tok sound heard so far.

sian sia... just found out yesterday my 1 half year car start roll back from the slope. Only knew that when my car start rolling back at a multi-storey carpark, car behind me horn me to alert.( During that time take for granted, was checking & looking at contract)Mine is the C200 K. The anti-roll back function is not working after i came back 2 weeks from oversea. With so many office paper work to clear, really feel tire of making appt with C & C to check the problem out. Anyone here have this problem?

I know that yours a c200k, just fyi, in my cgi manual it says that the this "anti-roll back" or "hill brake assist" (not sure if they are the same) can only hold the rolling for a sec. just enough time to for one to switch from brake to accelerator.

personally, i tried on Imm slope (all four wheels on the slope itself, or the mid portion of the slope), it actually holds, but i hadda depress the brakes more for it to hold. The brake held for more than 30sec before i have to move on.

However, when the same was applied to another slope (a more gradual gradient compared to the one in IMM MSCP). it din work. it does not work when 2 wheels on slope and the hind wheels on leveled ground.

well, let us know your outcome. and good luck. ^^

Guest chiaster

Hey fellas, just came back from pandan loop from the service booking to check on the veering left problem and the knocking sound. After driving around in the compound, got advised that it will need 2 days for them to work it out. The knocking sound seems to be coming from the front suspension/damper more so than from the rear. This sound is experienced when going over humps or when driving over uneven roads. After they rectify this issue, they will proceed to check on the veering left problem. This is because if there are parts that need to be changed, then it only makes sense to check on the alignment after they fix the knocking sound. With regards to the veering left issue, they mentioned that sometimes a swapping of wheels would do the trick and the car drives straight again. Well, all I can do now is to wait for their call. Hopefully both issues get sorted out nicely and I can get the car back tomorrow evening. And if you're wondering whether I got a replacement car, the answer is no. :(

Guest vt5sport

Their reason for needing 2 days juz to 'work it out' sounds abit BS. There's nothing that complicated abt the W204 front suspension. The knocking sound is usually caused by loose or defective bushing on the control arms. Happened to my volvo b4; it was morning in and afternoon out.

Guest achuafc

Don't know why these fellas need 2 work days. I am sending my ride next Monday to Pandan because the wiper (driver side) arm is a little rusty when I collected this new ride. There's also a slight left veering issue. Hopefully, they don't take their time to fix these 2 independent issues.

Engine "Blue Efficiency", but comes to servicing/repair is "No Efficiency" lei.

Guest vt5sport

achuafc wrote:

Don't know why these fellas need 2 work days. I am sending my ride next Monday to Pandan because the wiper (driver side) arm is a little rusty when I collected this new ride. There's also a slight left veering issue. Hopefully, they don't take their time to fix these 2 independent issues.

Engine "Blue Efficiency", but comes to servicing/repair is "No Efficiency" lei.

Maybe it's purposely to make it 'leceh' so that we'll think twice b4 sending in for this and that.

I've learnt to live wif minor imperfections to hv a less stressful ownership experience.

chiaster wrote:

Hey fellas, just came back from pandan loop from the service booking to check on the veering left problem and the knocking sound. After driving around in the compound, got advised that it will need 2 days for them to work it out. The knocking sound seems to be coming from the front suspension/damper more so than from the rear. This sound is experienced when going over humps or when driving over uneven roads. After they rectify this issue, they will proceed to check on the veering left problem. This is because if there are parts that need to be changed, then it only makes sense to check on the alignment after they fix the knocking sound. With regards to the veering left issue, they mentioned that sometimes a swapping of wheels would do the trick and the car drives straight again. Well, all I can do now is to wait for their call. Hopefully both issues get sorted out nicely and I can get the car back tomorrow evening. And if you're wondering whether I got a replacement car, the answer is no. :(

the tok tok sound, for my case, can be heard near the left front A-pillar when i turn my steering over humps, going over uneven roads and esp in multistorey carparks. i realised C&C has placed cushioning btw my bonnet and the car body. The sound has 'disappeared' since then.

i got it fixed at pandan loop svc ctr.

Guest apple088

chiaster wrote:

Mine was right side, then left side, then right wheel got sound when making a hard right, veer left, now wiper got issue rain sensor retarded only works when driving >40, works when it not raining .... had to turn it off now Yet to be fixed , Wing mirrors also replaced ...

hope they can replace the entire car!!

Technician told me new car like that one !! i was what the $@@!

I bang table told them I need a replacement car. coz the car too many problem and take so long to repair. Finally got it. I $@@! them as they told me it was under my SE care to arrange the courtesy car. again $@@! them told them SE told me it now under the prerogative of the service manager !! $@@! $@@! $@@! them all the way for 3 days in row. Then they wake up their idea.

Moral of the story C&C must $@@! $@@! then can work. so guys no need to be nice. just $@@! them all the way !!

Guest chiaster

Dear folks, got my car back from Pandan at around 7pm today. The knocking sound is gone. Car also drives straight now. The front left suspension was replaced. Steering alignment was also done. I didn't get to drive it much on open roads just now because of heavy traffic on the way home. Will do more driving over the weekend to see if the problems have been rectified for good. One thing is for sure, the knocking sound that arises when going over humps and uneven roads ain't there anymore. I tried it while in my estate's MSCP so I know. Will drive on a straight stretch of open road tomorrow to verify I the car still veers left. Cheers.

Guest vt5sport

chiaster wrote:

Dear folks, got my car back from Pandan at around 7pm today. The knocking sound is gone. Car also drives straight now. The front left suspension was replaced. Steering alignment was also done. I didn't get to drive it much on open roads just now because of heavy traffic on the way home. Will do more driving over the weekend to see if the problems have been rectified for good. One thing is for sure, the knocking sound that arises when going over humps and uneven roads ain't there anymore. I tried it while in my estate's MSCP so I know. Will drive on a straight stretch of open road tomorrow to verify I the car still veers left. Cheers.

So ur left veering problem solved?

I've got that knocking sound/problem from the rear wheel pax area and the drivers side mirror making some kinda weird noise from time to time. Also got the pulling left steering issue since day 1 Anyone in ubi servicing side I should speak to with some experience ?

Guest chiaster

vt5sport wrote:

So ur left veering problem solved?

Hey mate, yes. The veering left issue is solved. Well, probably 99% solved. Now when I put the steering wheel straight, the car drives straight. Sometimes it veers left just a teeny weeny bit but I guess this could be due to road imperfections, slight difference in tyre pressures, a bit of freeplay on the steering etc. Totally negligible if you ask me. Oh, one more thing. I realized that I still had a bit of a faint knocking sound coming from the rear left passenger side when going over humps or when the roads are bumpy. This was right after I got the car back from pandan loop. It was very minor so I left it at that. Then, when I changed my springs to H&R, the sound was gone. So, I can say that the knocking sound - regardless of front or rear - is due to faulty springs. The SA told me that they changed some suspension component on the front left spring when he called me to say the car was ready for collection. I reckoned it must be the spring that's giving problems. So, for those that still hear that knocking sound and your car is stock, best to get the springs changed at pandan loop. Or you could go the H&R way like how I did without regrets. :) :) :)

Guest chiaster

rssid wrote:

I've got that knocking sound/problem from the rear wheel pax area and the drivers side mirror making some kinda weird noise from time to time. Also got the pulling left steering issue since day 1 Anyone in ubi servicing side I should speak to with some experience ?

Bro, I didn't experience any problems with my wing mirrors so I can't advise you on that. As per my posts, best to bring your car to pandan loop to rectify the veering left issue and the knocking sounds. Pandan loop stores all their parts so you'll have a better chance of getting whatever's faulty replaced. Haven't been to the ubi one so can't say much on them. Good luck! :)

anyone notice a s faint squeak when u enter or leave the car, I mean getting into and getting out of the driver seat? ok, i weight a little less than 80kg, dun intend to lose some fats.

the sound comes from the front driver seat and it is faint and not easily reproduced.

thks!

Try this after parking your car move the gear to P and leave it there DONT PUT on the FOOTBRAKE and get out of the car and see if the squeak is still there. If theres no squeak it means that the parking brakes were the cause of the noise and will go away after a couple of months after the brakes have bedded in properly.

Of course excerise some common sense and refrain from carrying out this experiment whilst on a slope (DUH).

Guest chiaster

rssid wrote:

ZZZ i stay eastside pandan loop is damn far hahahahaha whom did you go to at pandan loop ?

Bro, I live in pasir ris but still went to pandan loop because I know that they can get it solved there. My SE referred me to this malay gentleman. I can't remember his name because when I went back for the car the next day, it was already close to 8pm and everyone's gone. I don't even have a post-service report. Was I supposed to get one? I know I've gotten them for even the most minor of work done on previous cars.

rssid wrote:

Try this after parking your car move the gear to P and leave it there DONT PUT on the FOOTBRAKE and get out of the car and see if the squeak is still there. If theres no squeak it means that the parking brakes were the cause of the noise and will go away after a couple of months after the brakes have bedded in properly.

Of course excerise some common sense and refrain from carrying out this experiment whilst on a slope (DUH).

thks for the tip, will try that.

Guest achuafc

chiaster wrote:

Bro, I live in pasir ris but still went to pandan loop because I know that they can get it solved there. My SE referred me to this malay gentleman. I can't remember his name because when I went back for the car the next day, it was already close to 8pm and everyone's gone. I don't even have a post-service report. Was I supposed to get one? I know I've gotten them for even the most minor of work done on previous cars.

think because it was already too late when you collected your car and there wasn't anyone there to hand you the service report.

I went down to Pandan to get my veering left issue and also for a rusty wiper bolt. The 2 issues were resolved within a day. Prior to Pandan, I went to Ubi to Kao Pei the 2 problems, got an appointment for 3 days later. But when I went down again, they told me that they can't rectify/change the rusty wiper bolt there but am able to do a wheel alignment! What the heck! Can't the service consultant advice that when I first paid them a visit at Ubi? So lesson learn is that Ubi and Alexandra is just as good for normal servicing. All other stuff, go to Pandan as all jobs can be done there.

Hi bros, just want to share my recent experience.

Went to c&c for 3 problems.

1. Knocking sound when going over humps. They replaced the 2 front shock absorbers and problem's gone. But car had to stay overnite. Especially painful cos it was rainy days... argghhh..

2. Excessive vibration from engine if maintain at 1300 to 1500 rpm. SE attributes it to C mode, because 'engine engages at 2nd gear instead of 1st.' :crazy: He advised me to switch to S mode for city driving, which I tried and it helps. Only issue is that it reverts to C mode whenever the engine is switched off..... :Cry:

3. Recall check. Told me that if my car is affected, I would have received a letter, which I did not. So not sure if they checked at all.