• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

B Class Aftermarket Rims "What worked for me and what to watch out for!"

Guest desmo

Guest desmo

Hi All,

Since this thread is very quiet I thought I would liven it up a little with some fun I have been having with my newly acquired B Class.

There are a limited number of after market rims available to us B Class owners mainly due to the PCD 5H112 and Offset 49.

However after visiting rim and tyre dealers from Geylang to Serangoon, Bukit Batok and Sim Ming, there are a couple of major importers and local dealers that have the correct offset for our beloved B Class

The B Class can handle a offset anywhere from 44 to 50 but is dependent upon the rubber you fit.

For example if you opt for a 18" x 8" upgrade with a 50 offset, either a 225x40x18 or a 235x40x18 / 235x35x18 will fit nicely.

However if you happen to have lowered your B Class with the Carlson or Brabus lowering kit all bets are off with the 235 tyres as they will more than likely scrub on heavy braking & cornering, or the beloved Mall speed hump.

There are premium 2 piece japanese rims, single piece Japanese and Italian brand rims and also the very nice Brabus or Carlsson rims available.

There is also the option of staggering rim widths to make your B Class look like a Super Stock Drag racer! (Not quite) where you can opt for Offset F44 & R49 which looks way cool but really is a pain if you intend to do front to back rotation with todays directional tyres. Not real practical, but Great to look at and dream.

When you do change for the new aftermarket look "Watch your lug bolts", Merc use Radius Seats (Rounded) on the collar, many aftermarket rims use taper seat (V Shape) collars.

So more than likely you will need to change your lug bolts.

The bolts on the B Class are Radius Seat (Rounded) M14 x 1.5 the threaded portion to the collar is between 24mm to 28mm.

Do not extend too far past this otherwise you may end up scoring your brake disk rotor due to the bolt threads extending past the point of no return. :tsk:

Also if your looking for Rim Locks to protect the new investment when playing golf in Johor or shopping in JB, look for McGuard, but I must warn you these rim lock bolts cost.

Same principal if your new rims have Radius Seat (Rounded) then you can opt for the genuine Merc accessory Rim Lock which is cheaper. (Yes really!:shocked:)

If you opted for rims with tapered seats you may need to seek McGuards

Overall M14 x 1.5 the threaded portion to the collar (Radius/Tapered) is between 24mm to 28mm.

If you are wondering about the Tire Pressure warning with the new rims, don't as it works fine due to the sensors being allocated in the stub axel assembly not the wheels themselves.

Just reset with the + button at 28PSI and then ask the tyre dealer to pump the pressure up to the correct rating.

Hope this helps you all as it took a lot of trial and error and research to get this right. But really fun indeed....now all the tyre and rim uncles and aunties know me! :becky:

Regards

Des

Guest desmo

Hi All,

Once last thing to remember when changing the rims and opting for tapered seat wheel bolts over radius seat bolts.

Remember to keep at least 5 of the original Merc radius seat wheel bolts.

The skinny spare wheel needs the original Mercedes radius seat bolts.

This is indeed important if you are keeping the original factory spare and you get an unfortunate flat, as the tapered seat bolts will not be a good solution to get you out of the trouble your in with a flat tyre as they will not be a correct fit for the skinny rim. :becky:

Just some food for thought for all car owners changing away from factory rims.

Desmo

• 4 years later...

Sorry for borrowing this thread .. as never like anyhow start new thread when an appropriate is available for a topic.

Was chatting with another B-class bro yday, sharing wat minor after-market touches we have done. One leading to the other we soon touch on rims/tyres.

I am currently looking at available options to up size the stock 16s to 18s.

Have tried the usual shops, seen quite a no. But somehow it seems quite hard to find a nice set with the peculiar spec for the W246.

There are quite good options for 18x8.5 offset 45. But for the W246 that will protrude out by couple of mm. 18x7.5 is a rare find .. and a compromise maybe 18x8.

Does any bro here have any luck and can share ?

Best if you can post some picts here to show your swee swee rims.

Cheers Bros and look forward to your sharing

Sorry for borrowing this thread .. as never like anyhow start new thread when an appropriate is available for a topic.

Was chatting with another B-class bro yday, sharing wat minor after-market touches we have done. One leading to the other we soon touch on rims/tyres.

I am currently looking at available options to up size the stock 16s to 18s.

Have tried the usual shops, seen quite a no. But somehow it seems quite hard to find a nice set with the peculiar spec for the W246.

There are quite good options for 18x8.5 offset 45. But for the W246 that will protrude out by couple of mm. 18x7.5 is a rare find .. and a compromise maybe 18x8.

Does any bro here have any luck and can share ?

Best if you can post some picts here to show your swee swee rims.

Cheers Bros and look forward to your sharing

IMHO stock is best. Been through that path unless you might want to consider shipping from Europe.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally found time to put on the new shoes yday.

The fitting was perfect and nothing the AD can fuss about as kept all to recommended specs.

Design wise I wont say much as not easy to find ... but very unlike my usual rims choice .. haha

20150307_095435_zpsyfyhhwv0.jpg

Just to share .. the original stock bolts fits perfectly and also the wheel cap ... no extra money spent on this

Just something to remind bros who planning the same ... remember to ask tyre shop to remove the pressure sensors and install over

My installer did not do so as did not knew about it .. good thing they are honest and reasonable. They have to redo the whole works when I went back to them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The fitting was perfect and nothing the AD can fuss about as kept all to recommended specs.

Design wise I wont say much as not easy to find ... but very unlike my usual rims choice .. haha

so Chio!!! Btw my father friend recommend me put 19" rims but the rims is inward not outward jiu can so wont offset much.. but 19 inch rim will burn more fuel like drink water haha.. So i thinking to get 17/18" amg rims will black colour~

• 5 months later...

Bro I hear the tyre shop say one.

Cos when I changing rim I told him to remember to remove the butterfly.

Subsequently I have to go back to him when it fails to pick up the pressure .. then he says some merc dont hv the butterfly de, built-in to the simi hub. Didn't bother to inquire more as long as mine works

Got butterfly no butterfly as long as got pressure reading can liao lor.

Got butterfly but batt dies later .... money fly.

• 1 year later...
On 7 March 2015 at 3:28 PM, denwee said:

Bro.. Able to share the shop where u got your rim. I looking for after market AMG style one. 17"