• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

1978 280SLC

Guest Rajsan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gargle

Thats the truth. Still tossing between options, or maybe just export it to drive when i'm overseas...

any suggestions how to buy some extra time after COE expires?

Guest Gargle

decided - will renew.

next - to make a list of improvements so that it can stay on the road for another 30 years.

- looking for replacement brake system - to make it ABS

- looking for a power steering pump to replace my existing one which is grumbling

- looking for a replacement exhaust system

- general bodyworker and welder

- engine tuner - don't know of anyone who can boost up the horses, but still keep it street legit.

any comments from the bros here - will be much appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Gargle

COE renewed!

power steering pump replaced, engine retuned and its now running strong.

base plate replacement idea shelved for now and will do some minor weld work instead.

cleaning K&N air filter, and then we see how this baby runs.

any suggestions on:

shocks and springs ( i saw a good article on this forum)

brakes - want to replace and switch to ABS. Heard the 300SE fits the 280 SLC.

Invite comments!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gargle

cleaned out the airfilter and the baby rumbles now. some gains particularly in the upper end, and definitely breathes better. wife can't tell the diff, but when driving, a switch between cruising to a burst of speed is easier.

spent the day cleaning and reoiling the filter, which was fun.

Guest sillbeers15

You can consider upgrading the brakes to 4 pot front and 2 pot rear calipers sourced from another newer model (I've installed 4 pot R129 caliper and disc into my w124 front) to have a much better braking feel.

Renew your shocks,...go with a set of lowered springs if you prefer a slightly meaner look on your ride (lower CG = better roadholding anytime).

Replace your aging mechnical fuel injection system with a programable ECU controlled (upgrade to bigger injectors) to improve fuel economy and producing much better power....(I converted my W124 using Megasquirt programing some 3 to 4 years back,...no regrets).

Lastly,...your auto trans probabily need a little attention to as well

Refresh your body work with new paint work and trims and you have an instant good to drive classic Benz.

Oh,...if you replace all your chassis rubber bushes with new ones, you will experience the ride you had 30 years ago once again.

Guest Gargle

thanks sillbeers!

i would like to get more information from you on:

- megasquirt

- brakes

- shocks

Transmission - yes i have already sourced someone who rebuilds in SG. I will seek him out in July.

Where did you get your abovementioned changed? What did it cost? And most importantly, since this is my daily driver, how long did it take?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Gargle wrote:

hi all:

major works in August and restoration will be complete (except for paintwork, which still trying to source for someone who is reliable.)

Pictures man Pictures!!

:becky:

When you are able to lah.:bounce:

Guest Gargle

paiseh a bit lah - its not going to be my dream resto job, more like cash strapped resto ... if there is ever such a thing :)

the main thing is the ride will be sweet, even if the looks are a bit scruffy.

Gargle wrote:

paiseh a bit lah - its not going to be my dream resto job, more like cash strapped resto ... if there is ever such a thing :)

the main thing is the ride will be sweet, even if the looks are a bit scruffy.

doesn't matter man. classic is always a classic. like they say, form is temporary, class is permanent. :becky:

Guest Gargle

parts coming in next week - will meet up once some work has been completed. thanks for the encouragement - maniac and g8crasher - will meet up at an upcoming gathering soon.

Guest Maniac

Looks like our cars are going to play tag team at the workshops. Mine's going to be sent in either in August or September, depending on when some key body parts get ordered and delivered. Then its a new coat of paint, some spit and shine and hopefully its good to go till COE expires!

Guest Gargle

Yes its like they are distant siblings :) i have just decided to order some more parts, so in fact, they be in the workshops at the same time after all - in September!!

BTW - for paintjob, when are you planning to do this? Maybe we consider a twofer? My parts supplier told me about this place at Blk 10 Sin Ming... have you heard anything similar? I going to check out and will update here...

Guest Maniac

What parts are you ordering? Maybe we should combine orders to save on some shipping expenses and potentially obtain some discounts. Interested? I'm only just collating my list, which I should have done a long time ago!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gargle

hi maniac:

Ordered these parts, in case you are lookig for some stuff, let me know and i introduce you my lobang.

1. end piece L/R side member
  2. front pipe exhaust bracket
  3. shocks
  4. ball joints
  5. bearing
  6. bushings
  7. side rod
  8. drag link
  9. steering damper
  10. idler arm

Car in w/shop and work will be complete this weekend, i hope.

Guest Gargle

collected the car over the weekend. This is the best funds i have spent on the car so far. It rides almost like new! no more wobbly steering, no more jittery suspension and rattle.

my next project will be to get the transmission rebuilt.

thanks to silbeers for some of these suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Maniac

Are you able to identify which are the bits that fixed your wooly steering? I occasionally have the sense that the car seems to be running on rails, when I am trying to make small steering adjustments and am worried that it might point to big steering issues. My comment on running on rails is of the negative kind, not of the Lotus kind of handling, unfortunately.

Gargle wrote:

hi maniac:

Ordered these parts, in case you are lookig for some stuff, let me know and i introduce you my lobang.

1. end piece L/R side member
  2. front pipe exhaust bracket
  3. shocks
  4. ball joints
  5. bearing
  6. bushings
  7. side rod
  8. drag link
  9. steering damper
  10. idler arm

Car in w/shop and work will be complete this weekend, i hope.