• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W212 - HID for inspection

Hello all, i recently bought a 2012 W212 E250, pre-FL.

I realised it came with a HID set of headlights but i thought pre-FL is halogen lamps.. so i'm worried for my upcoming inspection, will it pass? will i encounter any issue?

Appreciate all advise.. thank you!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, IntrigueR said:

Hello all, i recently bought a 2012 W212 E250, pre-FL.

I realised it came with a HID set of headlights but i thought pre-FL is halogen lamps.. so i'm worried for my upcoming inspection, will it pass? will i encounter any issue?

Appreciate all advise.. thank you!

Most PFL W212 especially E250 Avantgarde & AMG Line comes with original Xenon headlamps (HID) & DRL while most Elegance model will comes with Halogen Headlamps, Parking Lights & Fog Lamps (No DRL)

Your vehicle log card should indicate what model is your E250 i.e Avantgarde or Elegance

Vehicle Model: E250 AVG (R18 LED)

Another way to find out is your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number Code)

The VIN basically your car data code which list the features of your MB ride was "born" with.

677 AVANTGARDE/STANDARD SUSPENSION

631 LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC STATIC LED HEADLAMP

To get your ride data card use the VIN Decoder here

https://www.datamb.com

key in your VIN which should be some thing like this WDD212XXXXXXXXXXXX

If your headlamp color is similar to your parking light and DRL, then it's likely to be original Xenon Headlamps as the default color temperature is 5000K.

Is the front of your car front looks like this without fog light but with DRL and the grill with the same number of slits?

If yes, likely to be avantgarde

W212 Avantgarde.jpg

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

On 18/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, kepiting1sg said:

Most PFL W212 especially E250 Avantgarde & AMG Line comes with original Xenon headlamps (HID) & DRL while most Elegance model will comes with Halogen Headlamps, Parking Lights & Fog Lamps (No DRL)

Your vehicle log card should indicate what model is your E250 i.e Avantgarde or Elegance

Vehicle Model: E250 AVG (R18 LED)

Another way to find out is your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number Code)

The VIN basically your car data code which list the features of your MB ride was "born" with.

677 AVANTGARDE/STANDARD SUSPENSION

631 LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC STATIC LED HEADLAMP

To get your ride data card use the VIN Decoder here

https://www.datamb.com

key in your VIN which should be some thing like this WDD212XXXXXXXXXXXX

If your headlamp color is similar to your parking light and DRL, then it's likely to be original Xenon Headlamps as the default color temperature is 5000K.

Is the front of your car front looks like this without fog light but with DRL and the grill with the same number of slits?

If yes, likely to be avantgarde

W212 Avantgarde.jpg

Thanks for the detailed explanation Bro... mine is definitely not an avantgarde... cos the interior is brown wooden finish and my aircon control has "Elegance" logo there... but the entire car was fitted to look like an avantgarde with all the bodykits and DRL fog lights etc.. workshop also confirmed that headlights has been changed to HID...

2 hours ago, IntrigueR said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation Bro... mine is definitely not an avantgarde... cos the interior is brown wooden finish and my aircon control has "Elegance" logo there... but the entire car was fitted to look like an avantgarde with all the bodykits and DRL fog lights etc.. workshop also confirmed that headlights has been changed to HID...

Don't worry too much Bro!

The inspection centres will not know how to differentiate between Avantgarde & Elegance.

Ensure these 2 things

1. Ensure the after market HID ballasts for the headlamps are already hidden away in case they open up your bonnet during inspection.

2. The default Xenon on the Avantgarde or MB Xenon is 5000K color temperature and this's a little yellowish in color than say 6000K color temperature which is nearer to natural sunlight. If your DRLs are original, your HID bulbs are likely to be 6000K and above. Meaning if it's 6000K color they will be whiter than your DRL.

6000K color is still acceptable but not 7000K color temperature and above. Then the lights color will varies from bluish to purplish. A sure giveaway sign that your HIDs are after market.

There are 7 HID color temperature: 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K and 12000K. The lower number with the longest wavelength and the best penetration the light has. The penetration of 3000K and 4300K is the best, comparing to 10000K and 12000K, they are the worst. K stands for Kelvin.

I personally prefer 6000K

Cheers

3 hours ago, kepiting1sg said:

Don't worry too much Bro!

The inspection centres will not know how to differentiate between Avantgarde & Elegance.

Ensure these 2 things

1. Ensure the after market HID ballasts for the headlamps are already hidden away in case they open up your bonnet during inspection.

2. The default Xenon on the Avantgarde or MB Xenon is 5000K color temperature and this's a little yellowish in color than say 6000K color temperature which is nearer to natural sunlight. If your DRLs are original, your HID bulbs are likely to be 6000K and above. Meaning if it's 6000K color they will be whiter than your DRL.

6000K color is still acceptable but not 7000K color temperature and above. Then the lights color will varies from bluish to purplish. A sure giveaway sign that your HIDs are after market.

There are 7 HID color temperature: 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K and 12000K. The lower number with the longest wavelength and the best penetration the light has. The penetration of 3000K and 4300K is the best, comparing to 10000K and 12000K, they are the worst. K stands for Kelvin.

I personally prefer 6000K

Noted Bro! I dunno how to see, but once my mechanic shine his torch into the bonnet... "aiyah previous owner changed before".... :P 

so I believe it is not hidden away... i guess i have to change the bulbs before sending to inspection.. Can ownself change?

I also realise my pole lights, there are 2 bulbs... are they H7 or T10? These i believe can ownself change right?

So sorry for all my noob questions... :)

1 hour ago, IntrigueR said:

Noted Bro! I dunno how to see, but once my mechanic shine his torch into the bonnet... "aiyah previous owner changed before".... :P 

so I believe it is not hidden away... i guess i have to change the bulbs before sending to inspection.. Can ownself change?

I also realise my pole lights, there are 2 bulbs... are they H7 or T10? These i believe can ownself change right?

So sorry for all my noob questions... :)

Can change the HID lamps back to halogen.

Just unplug the HIDs and use the connector to plug into your halogen bulb.

Can change yourself but one side of the lamp can be tricky and not much space to squeeze your hand in unless you've a small hand and knows exactly what to unplug and plug back.

I don't know about the pole lights.

My previous 2 W212 were are all avantgarde and comes with the factory LEDs

For this kind of work, I normally goes to Wee Heng Auto - Ah Boon

I know some of the kakis here go there to see Ah Boon

(HID, Xenon bulbs, change steering wheel, install multimedia box, car cam, android system, apple TV, etc)

To pass your vehicle inspection, he can advise you and or do want you want to do.

Mention my VRN SKD222 and he will slaughter you...hahaha!

Wee Heng is located in the same compound as Autospritze No 1 Kim  Chuan Terrace.

http://www.autospritze.com.sg/contact-us.html

Address : 1 Kim Chuan Terrace S(537024)

Phone : 62899876

Cheers

4 hours ago, kepiting1sg said:

Can change the HID lamps back to halogen.

Just unplug the HIDs and use the connector to plug into your halogen bulb.

Can change yourself but one side of the lamp can be tricky and not much space to squeeze your hand in unless you've a small hand and knows exactly what to unplug and plug back.

I don't know about the pole lights.

My previous 2 W212 were are all avantgarde and comes with the factory LEDs

For this kind of work, I normally goes to Wee Heng Auto - Ah Boon

I know some of the kakis here go there to see Ah Boon

(HID, Xenon bulbs, change steering wheel, install multimedia box, car cam, android system, apple TV, etc)

To pass your vehicle inspection, he can advise you and or do want you want to do.

Mention my VRN SKD222 and he will slaughter you...hahaha!

Wee Heng is located in the same compound as Autospritze No 1 Kim  Chuan Terrace.

http://www.autospritze.com.sg/contact-us.html

Address : 1 Kim Chuan Terrace S(537024)

Phone : 62899876

Thank you for your advise Bro! Will keep in mind of the info above! Cheers!~