• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W212 2010 PFL convert to Facelifted version

Wil

for the conversion from pre-facelift to a facelifted version, it seems they will be using taiwan made HID headlamps and rear.

Would like to know whether there is any concerns in particular to the below.

1) Approved by LTA? Or would it passed if I buy the OEM original ILS headlamps?

2) Passed inspection by Vicom?

3) Fire hazard? Heard the HID or bright headlamps required high watts and usually will burn the fuse or socket. If I just used 4000/4300k lamp, it will be ok right?

thanks.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 0:23 PM, Wil said:

for the conversion from pre-facelift to a facelifted version, it seems they will be using taiwan made HID headlamps and rear.

Would like to know whether there is any concerns in particular to the below.

1) Approved by LTA? Or would it passed if I buy the OEM original ILS headlamps?

2) Passed inspection by Vicom?

3) Fire hazard? Heard the HID or bright headlamps required high watts and usually will burn the fuse or socket. If I just used 4000/4300k lamp, it will be ok right?

thanks.

If you do not want just buy Headlamps & Tail Lamps and want original ILS, it will be quite "costly" for the full conversion.

Last known was $8k+

IIRC just fixing the tail lamps with after market Taiwanese or original Tail Lamps, there will be a gap between the chassis & bumper.

The original full conversion includes IIRC Front & Rear Bumper + Bonnet too and changing the SAM unit (Signal Acquisition Module)

Should not be an issue with LTA.

My friend PFL E350 Coupe did a full original parts conversion.

His name is camber53 aka Gregory

If you wanna talk to him, WhatsApp me at 91777772 for his contacts

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

I checked  with a few vendors and range from $7k to 13k inclusive of paint and reprogramming of the lights.

$13k gets you the original lamps and the full set of E63 FL kit.

$7k gets you the HID taiwan lamp and the full set of E63 FL kit.

But it does seem like a bad idea to do it. Makes me feel like a poser , though I just wanted something more current without paying an arm and leg for it. 

Renewed my COE only at $40k plus $20k for Facelift and other maintenance and can use for another 10years :)

versus..

Buying a new Mercs E class for $240k and my rebate amt now is at $25k. :( I don't want to spend so much on a car.

Decisions decisions. Thanks for your contact.  I will checked with him if I really decided to go down this route.

I sold my late 2011 PFL W212 with 7-Gtronics CnC unit with Panoramic Roof & Original COMAND HU

I guess yours probably the older W212 PFL with 5 speed auto.

My initial plan was to renew COE comes 2021 but my PFL W212 mileage was pretty high at 190K+ km.

Had also spent >$10k in repairs (Timing Crank Gear, Gearbox PCBA, Turbo, Alternator, etc)

If I had keep that ride, I would not want to do the mods to FL.

My advice is to save the moolah for future maintenance & repairs but it's your own decision to spend >$8k for external looks. :)

• Like 1

Cheers

Your mileage really high! 

After 10years, my mileage still at 60k+ only. 

Anyway, humour me a little. Do you know why Mercs S320 that are only 2017 reg.  selling for $285k? I see a lot of used car of that range selling at sgcarmart.

Now i'm thinking whether it's worth buying a Mercs s320 with 8yrs left versus a new Mercs E200 with 10yrs coe.  Roughly same price!  :P

I'm thinking all the towkays used 2-3yrs all want to upgrade or change new car? They don't mind taking the depreciation.

I don't suggest you do the FL upgrade... I just traded in my 2012 W212 for GLC200... Reason being the Turbo is leaking and my guy told me it will be a min 8K (Just hoist up view) to easily 12K... not fixing it will have me filling 4 ltrs of engine oil every 3 weeks...BTW, my mileage is also very low..7ys only 100K km...Like @Kepiting1sg, I had plans to renew COE once it reaches 10 yrs. But the potential damage could easily reach 20-25K for future issues...  Thus I decided to change ride, all thanks to CNC giving me a high overtrade for it.  I think you can save up the moolah for future incidents like mine. Spending 8-13K for a already phased out look is not my choice. Just my 2¢ worth. In the end.. Your car.. Your money... Your choice... CHEERS

• Like 2

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

14 hours ago, Ah Bui said:

I don't suggest you do the FL upgrade... I just traded in my 2012 W212 for GLC200... Reason being the Turbo is leaking and my guy told me it will be a min 8K (Just hoist up view) to easily 12K... not fixing it will have me filling 4 ltrs of engine oil every 3 weeks...BTW, my mileage is also very low..7ys only 100K km...Like @Kepiting1sg, I had plans to renew COE once it reaches 10 yrs. But the potential damage could easily reach 20-25K for future issues...  Thus I decided to change ride, all thanks to CNC giving me a high overtrade for it.  I think you can save up the moolah for future incidents like mine. Spending 8-13K for a already phased out look is not my choice. Just my 2¢ worth. In the end.. Your car.. Your money... Your choice... CHEERS

Waa Ah Bui you still lurking in this forum around like me :)

You lucky! CnC gave you high overtrade for your GLC.

When I went back to my old SE for GLC250 quoted me $218K

I said I don't want to take loans.

Nabeh quoted me very poor overtrade ($2k on top of body value - OMV $59k -high spec with COMAND & Pano Roof & COE$65K )

Timing crank gear, turbo failure (mine leaked oil on to the alternator so alternator up lorry also), 60km engine and gearbox mountings are usual wear & tear for the W212.

I did not spent $8k on Turbo but the bill was for $3k+

Mine had gearbox PCB failure & rear shock absorbers changed

Wise men think alike :)

We (my Wife & Son) wanted the GLC250 but when they saw &  went inside an 1yr 8 mth old CnC W213 E250....chiatlak...but no regrets :)....still cheaper than a new CnC GLC250 by nearly $30k if I traded in the W212.

I was swept over by the W213 main features over the W212 -

a. 1 long digital dashboard (2x 12.3" HD Display) with COMAND NTG5.5 (gotten free 2019 Maps update from CnC)

b. Apple Carplay & Android Auto (Finally got Waze, Google Maps, Sportify, etc on the Infotainment Display) Goodbye to phone holder.

c. 64 Colors Ambient Lighting (had been yearning to change the PFL W212 single color to FL 3 color ambient lighting)

d. 360 deg camera (Helpful but warning tone can be annoying)

e. Adaptive Braking Assist System (Some assurance not to rear ending or X Traffic bang people rides or pedestrians)

f. Auto Parking Pilot (Much improvement)

g. Fold down rear seats (CnC all along did not gave this option for C & E Class - finally they did)

• Like 2

Cheers

56 minutes ago, kepiting1sg said:

Waa Ah Bui you still lurking in this forum around like me :)

You lucky! CnC gave you high overtrade for your GLC.

When I went back to my old SE for GLC250 quoted me $218K

I said I don't want to take loans.

Nabeh quoted me very poor overtrade ($2k on top of body value - OMV $59k -high spec with COMAND & Pano Roof & COE$65K )

Timing crank gear, turbo failure (mine leaked oil on to the alternator so alternator up lorry also), 60km engine and gearbox mountings are usual wear & tear for the W212.

I did not spent $8k on Turbo but the bill was for $3k+

Mine had gearbox PCB failure & rear shock absorbers changed

Wise men think alike :)

We (my Wife & Son) wanted the GLC250 but when they saw &  went inside an 1yr 8 mth old CnC W213 E250....chiatlak...but no regrets :)....still cheaper than a new CnC GLC250 by nearly $30k if I traded in the W212.

I was swept over by the W213 main features over the W212 -

a. 1 long digital dashboard (2x 12.3" HD Display) with COMAND NTG5.5 (gotten free 2019 Maps update from CnC)

b. Apple Carplay & Android Auto (Finally got Waze, Google Maps, Sportify, etc on the Infotainment Display) Goodbye to phone holder.

c. 64 Colors Ambient Lighting (had been yearning to change the PFL W212 single color to FL 3 color ambient lighting)

d. 360 deg camera (Helpful but warning tone can be annoying)

e. Adaptive Braking Assist System (Some assurance not to rear ending or X Traffic bang people rides or pedestrians)

f. Auto Parking Pilot (Much improvement)

g. Fold down rear seats (CnC all along did not gave this option for C & E Class - finally they did)

Was looking at W213 also.. But getting in and out of a saloon is becoming a chore... And also both bosses liked the GLC.. Its a no brainer cos its their daily ride.. Not mine..  Another issue is W213 lousy overtrade.. 5k.. I got 17k for GLC.. Boss wants... Boss gets.. Coolie have to obey

• Like 2

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

1 hour ago, Ah Bui said:

Was looking at W213 also.. But getting in and out of a saloon is becoming a chore... And also both bosses liked the GLC.. Its a no brainer cos its their daily ride.. Not mine..  Another issue is W213 lousy overtrade.. 5k.. I got 17k for GLC.. Boss wants... Boss gets.. Coolie have to obey

Hahaha! Bosses wanted GLC cos she has driven Prado, Q5 & ML and feel good sitting atas and son wants easy loading for his bowling balls.

How she wishes I've the budget for the new GLE....guess I've to work much harder

It's Bosses ride as I get to drive only when I return home from Jakarta.

Bosses eventually decided on an used 1 yr 8 mths old W213 :) (Thanks to 1st owner to absorb the very high depreciation costs)

When I wanted to buy my car in Jakarta, Lady Boss contemplate between

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner - each cost less than $10k more than our current COE.

Boss decided for me to buy Fortuner so bosses get to sit whenever they come to Jakarta :)

all-new-fortuner-04.png

• Like 3

Cheers

3 hours ago, kepiting1sg said:

When I wanted to buy my car in Jakarta, Lady Boss contemplate between

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner - each cost less than $10k more than our current COE.

Boss decided for me to buy Fortuner so bosses get to sit whenever they come to Jakarta :)

I can see your Boss treat you very well! :)

Thanks Ah Bui.

Yes, 1st time renewing COE and was thinking Mercedes built like a tank and shouldn't have much problem.
But you all seems to be experiencing quite a lot of wear and tear that costs a lot to fix. 

End up , I might be better off getting a brand new Audi A3 or Q2!

My total rebate amt is $25k.

Audi overtrade is $15k

25+15 = 40k.

Audi sells Q2 At $140k.

So just need to pony up $100k. :)

If i renewed my COE $40k and account for $20k servicing and maintenance = $60k.

So, net difference to me will be between buying new car and renewing is only $40k.

If get C class , maybe is $60-80k difference.

I just find it a waste ... to scrap a perfectly good car. 

Thanks for all your advice guys.

much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Wil said:

Thanks Ah Bui.

Yes, 1st time renewing COE and was thinking Mercedes built like a tank and shouldn't have much problem.
But you all seems to be experiencing quite a lot of wear and tear that costs a lot to fix. 

End up , I might be better off getting a brand new Audi A3 or Q2!

My total rebate amt is $25k.

Audi overtrade is $15k

25+15 = 40k.

Audi sells Q2 At $140k.

So just need to pony up $100k. :)

If i renewed my COE $40k and account for $20k servicing and maintenance = $60k.

So, net difference to me will be between buying new car and renewing is only $40k.

If get C class , maybe is $60-80k difference.

I just find it a waste ... to scrap a perfectly good car. 

Thanks for all your advice guys.

much appreciated.

Renew COE $40k

Forgo Rebate $25k

Servicing & Maintenance $20k (future)

Total $85k

Net difference $15k for the Audi Q2

• Like 1

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hi Merc Fans, i'm also in the same boat that you guys were in previously....debating whether to extend another 10 years for my W212 (Year 2012). Even though it will be another 2 + years to decide, but the cost of maintenance seems to be escalating. Just came back from C&C servicing and they advised me that my (1) auxiliary battery is going bad, (2) engine mounts are worn, (3) torsion bar linkages cracked.

Currently, i'm inclined to renew another 10 years at 2022 (of course provided COE doesn't sky rocket). Before deciding on this option, would like to seeks the gurus here on the big-ticket maintenance items for old Merc. Reading through some of the posts, below is the list and feel free to add so that it can help me to have a  better appreciation of the cost in maintaining the W212 for another 10 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) By kepiting1sg

- >$10k in repairs (Timing Crank Gear, Gearbox PCBA, Turbo, Alternator, etc). 

- Timing crank gear, turbo failure (mine leaked oil on to the alternator so alternator up lorry also), 60km engine and gearbox mountings are usual wear & tear for the W212. I did not spent $8k on Turbo but the bill was for $3k+

2) By Ah Bui

- Turbo is leaking and my guy told me it will be a min 8K (Just hoist up view) to easily 12K

- Gearbox PCB failure & rear shock absorbers changed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the items mentioned above a confirmed list that will require repair if i extend another 10 years?

What's the estimated damage for (1) auxiliary battery is going bad, (2) engine mounts are worn, (3) torsion bar linkages cracked?

Wil estimated that the maintenance cost is $20k for another 10 years. Does this include the cost of regular servings or just repairs? Is this average, low or high estimates?

Thanks everyone

On 9/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, kepiting1sg said:

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Hi Merc Fans, i'm also in the same boat that you guys were in previously....debating whether to extend another 10 years for my W212 (Year 2012). Even though it will be another 2 + years to decide, but the cost of maintenance seems to be escalating. Just came back from C&C servicing and they advised me that my (1) auxiliary battery is going bad, (2) engine mounts are worn, (3) torsion bar linkages cracked.

Currently, i'm inclined to renew another 10 years at 2022 (of course provided COE doesn't sky rocket). Before deciding on this option, would like to seeks the gurus here on the big-ticket maintenance items for old Merc. Reading through some of the posts, below is the list and feel free to add so that it can help me to have a  better appreciation of the cost in maintaining the W212 for another 10 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) By kepiting1sg

- Timing crank gear, turbo failure (mine leaked oil on to the alternator so alternator up lorry also), 60km engine and gearbox mountings are usual wear & tear for the W212. I did not spent $8k on Turbo but the bill was for $3k+

2) By Ah Bui

- Turbo is leaking and my guy told me it will be a min 8K (Just hoist up view) to easily 12K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the items mentioned above a confirmed list that will require repair if i extend another 10 years?

What's the estimated damage for (1) auxiliary battery is going bad, (2) engine mounts are worn, (3) torsion bar linkages cracked?

Wil estimated that the maintenance cost is $20k for another 10 years. Does this include the cost of regular servings or just repairs? Is this average, low or high estimates?

Thanks everyone

2 hours ago, Jim said:

1) By kepiting1sg

2) By Ah Bui

Thanks everyone

Very much depend on your mileage!

I sold my PFL Nov 2011 due to the high mileage hitting >190k km in 7.5 years

1. Every 60k km expect to change engine & gear box mountings

2. Timing crank gear happened to me my ride at around 70k km, after changing did not had the problem again. (common issue)

3. Turbo leaking is quite a common issue

4. Gearbox pcba is not a common problem

5. Other wear & tear will be your brake pads/rotors

6. Alternator kaput is also a problem if you've not change yours

7. Ball joints, steering linkages - depending on mileage

8. Wheel bearings depends on mileage

As a car gets older with mileage, expect other wear and tear to comes in.

eg. engine carbon built up, cooling system - radiator, water pump, fuel pump, starter motor, piston rings, top gasket

FC will also likely to increase as compare to a new car.

A newer car will definitely has lesser maintenance costs.

Old school - Most wear & tear comes around 100k km or 60k miles :)

• Like 2

Cheers