• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Which car is the quietest?

Managed to measure the sound level inside & outside the car at this setting:-

E200 W213 since Oct 2018, air con switched on with fan at 5 speed. All measurements with Radio Shack Sound Level Meter with 'A' rating & with 'Slow' response. These parameters are necessary to measure the sound level impact to our hearings.

50 dBA = Private office setting

60 dBA = Normal conversation

70 dBA = Sound of vacuum cleaner

80 dBA = Curbside on busy street

1) Inside driver seat and all doors & windows closed with engine running: 52 dBA

2) Inside driver seat & with driver door open: 58.5 dBA

3) Car all doors & windows closed with air con on & standing infront of the front car boot: 63 dBA

4) Car all doors & windows closed with air con on with front car boot open & standing infront of the front car boot: 74.5 dBA

So far, W213 is probably the quietest car for E class. Would be interested to find out if others have better sound attenuation resulting in lower sound levels as shown above. Regards.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous W164 Sport Edition was 1 of the quietest MB I owned.

When the car was new and all doors closed, I find myself as if in a vacuum.

The ML was assembled and maybe still assembled in the US as Americans like SUVs.

This's the 1st MB that I can find sound deafening material in the door panels and maybe elsewhere in the car.

My current W213 is no where near to the quietness compare to my previous ML

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)