• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

w212 Loud engine whine sound/noise

Lightspeed

Anyone experienced this loud engine whine?

Sounds like the one in the video below ...
The guy in the video says it's the alternator... 
Wondering if it's accurate.

Anyone know how much to replace the alternator here? My car only has 10mths coe life :(

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The video you posted belongs to aw W203 C Class with a V6 Engine - Probably a C230 or a C32AMG not a W212.

W203 runs on a Supercharger which whine pretty loudly unlike a W212 which runs on a Turbocharger.

If I remember correctly, your W212 - E300 runs on a M272 3L V6.

Why not bring your car to a workshop to troubleshoot the problem.

If it's the alternator and want a quick & cheap replacement, try the scrap yard at Propel Auto 28 Kranji Road.

They sell everything even you wanna buy a half cut - i.e half a cut - front or back. :)

MB Cycle & Carriage new cars nowadays doesn't comes with a spare tyre or an air compressor with a TIREFIT sealant kit but with RFT.

I was at Prople a few weeks back, to buy a spare tyre jack, wheel spanner and toolkit - $20

The whole kit was from a W212. 

If it's the alternator bearing, maybe the workshop may consider changing the bearing.

It could be a worn pulley belt.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

12 hours ago, kepiting1sg said:

The video you posted belongs to aw W203 C Class with a V6 Engine - Probably a C230 or a C32AMG not a W212.

W203 runs on a Supercharger which whine pretty loudly unlike a W212 which runs on a Turbocharger.

If I remember correctly, your W212 - E300 runs on a M272 3L V6.

Why not bring your car to a workshop to troubleshoot the problem.

If it's the alternator and want a quick & cheap replacement, try the scrap yard at Propel Auto 28 Kranji Road.

They sell everything even you wanna buy a half cut - i.e half a cut - front or back. :)

MB Cycle & Carriage new cars nowadays doesn't comes with a spare tyre or an air compressor with a TIREFIT sealant kit but with RFT.

I was at Prople a few weeks back, to buy a spare tyre jack, wheel spanner and toolkit - $20

The whole kit was from a W212. 

If it's the alternator bearing, maybe the workshop may consider changing the bearing.

It could be a worn pulley belt.

Yup... running on a 3L V6

I just wanted to show you guys the whine the car is currently making.

I guess I'll have to bring it down to a workshop to have it checked.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good workshop to get it checked?

Been driving alot of VAG cars ... quite unfamiliar with Merc :unsure:

I was reading this article

https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=351 :P

You can try AutoSprite 

No 1 Kim Chuan Terrace.

They’re familiar with Conti cars especially MB, BM, Audi & VW.

Boss Dennis use to be a VAG guy! 

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)