• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Which model to buy 2nd hand Merc

I new and look for renew COE Merc. Year 2009.

within my budget are:

1) c180 1.6

2) c180 1.8

3) c200 1.8

which model should I buy? All 3 car price almost the same.  (Within 5k different) 

What the different power for car 1) and 2) ? If same I rather choose 1.6L ... If I choose c180 1.8, is it better to get c200?

Is C200 1.8 fuel consumption higher then c180 1.8 ?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, 

I would say it depends on the condition and genuine mileage of the ride.

Whether it's maintained and serviced regularly and what are the parts there were replaced etc.

I would go for a 1.8L if budget allows, but not forgetting a COE car will have it's road tax increased gradually until 150% by the 5th year. 

As my personal preference I will definitely go for a 7G-tronic gear box without any engine modifications or tuning done.

Good luck with your car hunt!:angel:

14 hours ago, SgAndrew said:

I new and look for renew COE Merc. Year 2009.

within my budget are:

1) c180 1.6

2) c180 1.8

3) c200 1.8

which model should I buy? All 3 car price almost the same.  (Within 5k different) 

What the different power for car 1) and 2) ? If same I rather choose 1.6L ... If I choose c180 1.8, is it better to get c200?

Is C200 1.8 fuel consumption higher then c180 1.8 ?

If go things are equal other than slight price differences - take the C200 (Likely PI - don't think CnC at that time bring in C200)

C180 1.6 IIRC comes with Supercharger (Some can't stand the SC noise) and IIRC 154hp

C180 1.8cgi comes with Turbo Charger IIRC 184hp

PI C200 1.8 cgi IIRC 184hp usually comes in dark wood trims as compare to CnC C180 with Alu trim

There's no 7-Gtronics for W204 back in 2009

My younger Bro is renewing his 2009 C200 COE in 2 months time

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

29 minutes ago, jtang said:

Unker….C180 CGI is only 155bhp. C200 CGI is 184bhp. 

Doc,

When the FLW204 it came out with a 1.6L engine which churn out 154bhp.

Our kaki CKlasse aka TP Yap indented a C180cgi which had the 1.8L engine with 184hp. The CnC 1.6L came with Halogen, no memory package & no keyless.

Same time they had the 1.8L C180 without those features 

Yap indented his 1.8L C180 with ILS, Memory package and keyless.

He waited about 1/2 yr for his ride.

The C180 1.8L was available for a <1 yr period.

Yap sold his 1.8L C180 after about 2 yrs at a big depreciation. 

I would have bought his car if I had not bought the 1.6L C180cgi.earlier

IIRC Before CnC earlier offered the C180 with the SC 154hp.

it was a no brainer when the C180 SC & C180 1.8L cgi all disappear within about a 1 yr window.

i remembered you went for the C250 cgi.

Those who wanted 184bhp went to the PI which offer C200 with wood trimming compared to CnC with basic alu trimming.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, kepiting1sg said:

Doc,

When the FLW204 it came out with a 1.6L engine which churn out 154bhp.

Our kaki CKlasse aka TP Yap indented a C180cgi which had the 1.8L engine with 184hp. The CnC 1.6L came with Halogen, no memory package & no keyless.

Same time they had the 1.8L C180 without those features 

Yap indented his 1.8L C180 with ILS, Memory package and keyless.

He waited about 1/2 yr for his ride.

The C180 1.8L was available for a <1 yr period.

Yap sold his 1.8L C180 after about 2 yrs at a big depreciation. 

I would have bought his car if I had not bought the 1.6L C180cgi.earlier

IIRC Before CnC earlier offered the C180 with the SC 154hp.

it was a no brainer when the C180 SC & C180 1.8L cgi all disappear within about a 1 yr window.

i remembered you went for the C250 cgi.

Those who wanted 184bhp went to the PI which offer C200 with wood trimming compared to CnC with basic alu trimming.

look like you own a lot Merc car. Hope old car won't have some many sensor or breakdown issue

I bought C180 1.8. By right I had purchase 1.6cc which I had ask and check with salesman first and sgcarmart info also mention 1.6cc. After make payment, then should me log card is 1.8. He said horse power is same....., I feel cheated and so what the point of same horsepower. Unless you tell me that your mistake can make same 1.6 road tax price. Some more is Casetrust car dealer. Make me feel no trust with this rubbish casetrust sticker..

On 15/03/2019 at 6:03 AM, SgAndrew said:

Checking what the fuel consumption for 2009 C180 1.6L ? Base on old thread in this forum, some ppl mention can hit 15km/L to 16km/L. My friend told me only 11km/L. So much different?

I think on paper, the facelifted version can do 15-16km/l. In real life, it’ll do 11-12. The one you bought is the pre-facelift version that does about 10km/l in real life. 

On 16/03/2019 at 7:45 PM, SgAndrew said:

I bought C180 1.8. By right I had purchase 1.6cc which I had ask and check with salesman first and sgcarmart info also mention 1.6cc. After make payment, then should me log card is 1.8. He said horse power is same....., I feel cheated and so what the point of same horsepower. Unless you tell me that your mistake can make same 1.6 road tax price. Some more is Casetrust car dealer. Make me feel no trust with this rubbish casetrust sticker..

Complain to your salesman and ask him to take back the car. Failing which, take them to small claims using the lemon law. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am new to forum. I have been driving Jap cars for the past 15 years and am thinking of buying a 10 year old Merc C180 (for budget reasons) and try out. However, I am worried about the potential servicing costs that I may have to fork out. I am an easy driver and not really going for power, so a comfortable and reliable ride is good for me. I see many 09 model C180s on Sgcarmart now and want to check if there are specific models or PIs that I should avoid, especially if there are batches with pronounced problems? (Again, I am new and maybe all the C180s are same then this question is redundant.) Many thanks in advance!