dagger

Fuel leak in my W205 C200, just 1 year old car!

8 posts in this topic

Dear fellow W205 owners, 

Just to keep you guys noted about my recent experience, with a terrible fuel leak.

It started about 2 weeks back, that i notice the presence of fuel (by smell) almost each morning. As i had to rush daily to send the family to school and work.. i only could check after the end of the first commute.

Opening up the hood, there is no more fuel smell, used torch to shine onto the undertray and its dry... so i left as it is.

just over the weekend, since i had more time in the morning, i started the car, popped the hood and decided to check.... 

i started to smell the same fuel smell again... so started to shine my torch at the undertray.... i could see a puddle (which i initially tot it was water residue)....

Just a min into the engine warming up, i start to see dripping! i immediately headed down to the workshop and have them check the car.

Again, because the car has fully warmed up, there was no more leak! trays were just slightly wet and nearly dried up.

Workshop then noticed the fuel stains around the high pressure fuel pump, and told me to leave the car overnight so they can check the next morning when the engine is cold again.

True enough, they found the source of the leak. the factory clamp on the fuel return hose was not tight enough.

After inspecting the hose, they said the hose was good, just the factory clamp wasnt tight enough. So they added another clamp and this fixed the fuel leak. 

I will monitor for the next few days to see if its really resolved.

If you encounter the same issue where you cold start your car, and you smell presence of fuel, please do check for leaks, it can be as simple as checking if your undertray is wet or damp. I have checked that the a/c water drain will not drip at that same spot where the fuel leak is. I attached some pics to show you the leak, and the source of the fuel leak.

As there is no modifications made to the fuel delivery of the car, i consider this a production defect from the factory. My car is purchased from PI, and even the PI told me this is not considered as wear and tear, and they will warrant the change of parts if needed.

Hope this helps any bros, as fuel leak is a very highly dangerous situation we will want to avoid!

DCCQ0188.JPG

IMG_3590.MOV

XDOP0344.JPG

4 people like this

Thank you for sharing.

Thank Bro for sharing

so here's the quick update after collecting my car.

First attached pic with the fuel leak circled in red, is on the stock clamp. Unfortunately the vid file is too large to upload, but basically on startup, the hose immediately got wet and covered with leaking fuel.

The issue is not from the hose but from the clamp which is not tight enough.

So the workshop replaced this with the screw type clamp. fired up the car and no more leaks.

simple fix and lucky to avoid any further issues like accidental fires...

will continue to monitor for the coming days.... hopefully this is the end of this particular issue.  *fingers crossed*IMG_E3619.thumb.JPG.008d67eab5b51b63b500f9ba233a45fa.JPGIMG_3620.thumb.PNG.dc676a7746def6c7f2015a91394c0ead.PNG

2 people like this

Hi, dagger. How is the fuel leak? Has it been resolved?

Thanks for sharing!! I am going to send mine to agent next week... I have this petrol smell every morning after more then 12 hours of parking...

On 3/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, Prestigious said:

Hi, dagger. How is the fuel leak? Has it been resolved?

yes, all is good. been monitoring since March 4th, no fuel smell in engine bay.

Had the car sitting for a whole week as well, restarted (no fuel smell)..... after a short drive, still no fuel smell... so all is good!

2 people like this

On 3/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, dagger said:

yes, all is good. been monitoring since March 4th, no fuel smell in engine bay.

Had the car sitting for a whole week as well, restarted (no fuel smell)..... after a short drive, still no fuel smell... so all is good!

That's great!