• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Hi new w204 FL owner & need of antidotes!

Shenwai

Hello everyone I am a new and first time mercs owner. Bought a 2nd hand W204 FL (Last Batch it seems) and I am really in love with it! Bought it for its reliability track records and looks. 

Glad to have found this community and it is really informative but with alot of poison! 

Hope some shifus can give enlighten me for the following questions below:

1) Is it true for W204 to have frequent catalytic converter issues? Recently got engine check light because of this and a mechanic said it is a common issue with this car and is frequent to replace it..

2) Upgrading to AMG BBK could be actually more cost effective in the long term? Heard that the rotors are not so easily worn out as compared to stock and there are cases where people after upgraded to AMG BBK, their both rotors and brake pads could easily last more than 3 years without needing to change Rotors or Brake Pads. So AMG Rotors and Brake Pads are significantly more lasting? 

3) Is AMG rims (non-forged) generally more durable than Mercs stock alloy rims? I reckon weight is actually around the same? 

4) Lastly by upgrading to AMG BBK, does it qualifies to fulfill "manufacturer's requirement"? Understand by right aftermarket BBK is considered illegal by LTA and car insurance may not cover. So by upgrading to AMG BBK, is it still considered aftermarket and do we need to get LTA approval to clear car insurance requirement? 

Many thanks in advance and kind help in helping a newbie like me! 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case for those searching for similar answers from my above questions but can't find online , managed to get these answers from annual C&C mercs clinic. The ang mo service expert is rather open and honest. 

1) Catalytic converter should last a car easily 10 years and beyond and do not usually break down unless there is something wrong with the quality of the fuel you pumped. If encountered engine check light "The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 1) is insufficient..", it is usually thermostat issues not the cat itself. 

2) AMG Big brake kit wear out rate is similar to stock brake kit for same driving style. It won't really last longer for brake pads or rotors. 

3) AMG rims robustness should not be any different from stock Merc rims

Hope it helps.