• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Switch off aircon

daimlerfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 8:10 AM, daimlerfan said:

Hi bro/sis, 

Short question : do you switch off the aircon in your car after your journey or do you just leave it and just kill the engine? 

Thx. 

Turn off A/C about 3-5mins before destination. A habit cultivated after my W205 returns a foul smell few months short of its 2nd year. A chemical cleaning by C&C clears the stench perfectly and till now the car has absolutely no foul smell whatsoever. Thats how I am convinced a minor adjustment of habit helps with this problem,,

What is the reason behind your question though?

@Ivo Just collected pre FL w205. Switched from w246. During collection, I started the engine. Air con blower started immediately. SE informed me that this is normal. Not to worry. No need to off the aircon...  However, in all my previous rides, I have to habit to switch it off upon reaching my destination. Hence just wanted to conduct a simple poll if it is a common practice or am I thinking too much. Still learning about the vehicle.

Also, once I turn on the air con at position 1 while driving to a nearby location. Upon reaching, I realized that I cannot switch the air con off immediately by pushing the rocker switch downwards. It simply doesn't allow it. I have to actually push it up to 2 and only then it allows me to turn it off completely. Not sure if this is by design or a fault.

I noticed that the rocker switch also doesn't allow you to increase the power of the air con blower upwards upon rapid clicking. It will skip one click. For example, push up once (position 1) push up again (nothing happens) push up third time (position 2). This was in line with the demo by the SE during collection as well. However, is this true? Maybe fellow w205 owners can enlighten me.

Thanks thanks .. 

11 hours ago, daimlerfan said:

@Ivo Just collected pre FL w205. Switched from w246. During collection, I started the engine. Air con blower started immediately. SE informed me that this is normal. Not to worry. No need to off the aircon...  However, in all my previous rides, I have to habit to switch it off upon reaching my destination. Hence just wanted to conduct a simple poll if it is a common practice or am I thinking too much. Still learning about the vehicle.

Also, once I turn on the air con at position 1 while driving to a nearby location. Upon reaching, I realized that I cannot switch the air con off immediately by pushing the rocker switch downwards. It simply doesn't allow it. I have to actually push it up to 2 and only then it allows me to turn it off completely. Not sure if this is by design or a fault.

I noticed that the rocker switch also doesn't allow you to increase the power of the air con blower upwards upon rapid clicking. It will skip one click. For example, push up once (position 1) push up again (nothing happens) push up third time (position 2). This was in line with the demo by the SE during collection as well. However, is this true? Maybe fellow w205 owners can enlighten me.

Thanks thanks .. 

It doesn't sound normal to me. I'm also driving a pre FL W205 and my air con rocker is very sensitive. Pushing it up once immediately increases the fan speed by 1 and I can turn off my air con at fan speed 1 by pushing the fan switch down once. You might want to get the switch checked out by a service advisor. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SQ88 said:

It doesn't sound normal to me. I'm also driving a pre FL W205 and my air con rocker is very sensitive. Pushing it up once immediately increases the fan speed by 1 and I can turn off my air con at fan speed 1 by pushing the fan switch down once. You might want to get the switch checked out by a service advisor. 

@SQ88 thx for the input. Will consult service advisor about this. However, am also prepared for answers like '.... is like that one.... .'.. :cigar:

4 hours ago, daimlerfan said:

@SQ88 thx for the input. Will consult service advisor about this. However, am also prepared for answers like '.... is like that one.... .'.. :cigar:

We shouldn't let them get away with such replies. I'm quite frustrated by the service team myself. We purchased a brand new Mercedes from Agent instead of PI/ used car from used car dealers. They shouldn't tell us "is like that one" for everything. 

7 hours ago, SQ88 said:

We shouldn't let them get away with such replies. I'm quite frustrated by the service team myself. We purchased a brand new Mercedes from Agent instead of PI/ used car from used car dealers. They shouldn't tell us "is like that one" for everything. 

@SQ88 Absolutely. It also reflects the serious lack of product knowledge as well. I am not even sure if the sales and service teams are able to keep up with the features rolled out within the similar models but different batches. Anyway, sometimes things they say just doesn't add up. I recalled having a short conversation with my SE on the climate control when I was briefed about a ~2 sec delay (switching from position 1 to position 2) when pushing the rocker switch rapidly upwards. After position 2, the rest of the position response to the clicks instantly. One would instantly detect that it could be a fault due to the delay in response. However, it was explained as a "protection" mechanism built in to "protect" the A/C compressor.

When I asked "....Then why in "Auto" mode, the climate control will just go into full blast when the engine is first start up....." the reply I got was ".. Oh the sensor is trying to bring the temp in car to the settings configured...." erm.... one would wonder... what happened to the "protect the A/C compressor theory..." I must admit that i am not a trained mechanic. This reply sounds reasonable...I guess... Hence can only take in such comment with a "pinch of salt" but what else can i do. Only to compare notes with fellow w205 owners. I recently also learnt that not all w205 brought in to SG are the same. This adds to the confusion (at least for me) on what and who is right.. I guess have to read the manual to get an answer.

By now, many would just say .. just enjoy the ride.. which is true too..so far.. I love the ride and drive of this car. very different compared to the w246. :jig:

Nevertheless, thanks @SQ88 for your valuable input. I guess what's left is to consult the SA and see what i get from them. Now, making the appt and driving in and waiting and explaining .... such a hassle... (lazy me :mellow:)

On 8/14/2018 at 9:43 AM, daimlerfan said:

Thanks thanks .. 

Hi, first of all, congrats on collecting your W205. My W205 aircon ON/OFF switch does not have the problem described by you. Yes, I turn off the aircon before switching off the engine, a habit picked up from my earlier rides.