• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Caveat on C&C warranty policy

cruize

The first battery on my 2015 CLA180 was replaced under its 2 year warranty when it failed on its 16th month. 18 months later, the 2nd battery failed again due to low voltage (I have no other devices like dash cams installed, servicing has always been done with C&C). The 2nd battery came with a warranty sticker stating 2 years warranty with free replacement.

When request for replacement under warranty was put to C&C, they refused stating that since this was a replacement battery, warranty replacement was not possible. An escalation to higher management also came to nought.

Shirking of responsibility was non-transparent without explaining logic of decision, they just attributed it to warranty policy (which was not verbally conveyed or found in paperwork). An intent for escalation to Stuttgart principal was met with an answer that all claims are approved by principal (no way to refute, I will send a mail in German nonetheless).

Am sending in vehicle for extensive electrical check (check with salespersons at MB centre revealed all their late model Benzes exhibit same occurrence of batteries failing before 2 years.) Apparently 2 years warranty coverage amount to no assurance.

All batteries in previous cars (including C180 ML) lasted more than 2 years. Daily commutes involves 20KM+ trips to and fro, fault could hardly be attributed to short trips or bad habits.

Buyers beware.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Boen said:

Wow. Thanks for this info.

Will make them put down in black n white when i go replace battery

Yeah, seems like the best solution to avoid future complication.

I think they have mentioned that warranty for batteries are for 2 years. Even if the batteries are replaced, C&C are just making sure their batteries (including replacements) will last for 2 years period from time of collection.

2 hours ago, Silverkris said:

I think they have mentioned that warranty for batteries are for 2 years. Even if the batteries are replaced, C&C are just making sure their batteries (including replacements) will last for 2 years period from time of collection.

My stand to them was straightforward.

There must be a certain level of confidence to their offering of 2 yr warranty for these batteries. Whatever fault that is reflected and not fixed, they should endeavour to see it is rectified, warranty notwithstanding.

Being a responsible manufacturer (although they do not make them), it should appear peculiar that 2 consecutive batteries in the same car failed at 1.5 years. There was a big warranty sticker on it stating free replacement within 2 years. There should be no 2 ways about it (maybe replacement batteries should not affix such stickers). Why do I get a car at this price bracket for?

I pose this question: if this 2nd battery was a paid replacement, would they shy away from a free replacement?

At the end of the day, I opine that C&C is running a business more focused on P&L, rather than acting as an extended customer care center for MB (probably MB is like C&C too if they also purportedly agreed with the decision). This will go into consideration for future purchases (I only expected such wrangling from PIs). Throughout the whole interfacing, you get the feeling they are more interested in new sales (true, I was informed top management decision was delayed due to roadshows) than preserving relationships.

Caveat emptor.

• 3 months later...

I have few battery failed in less than 3 years. Moral of the story, the warranty period cover from the date of purchase (your car) till 2 year regardless of how many time the battery has been replaced in between. When you get from outside normal battery shop, the same battery is only 1 year warranty now (previously it have 2 year warranty when purchase through normal battery shop but now has changed to 1 year which I believe this battery doesn't really last long and the distributor has decided to reduce the warranty period). Battery price from C&C is double the price of normal battery shop, but if you calculate base in 2 year (let say the battery die in 1 year) the price end up to be the same.

When you replaced it from other shop, and drive back to C&C for normal servicing, their computer might throw out error and failed few test. C&C will then find fault on the battery and asking you to change battery again. But if you go to other battery shop to test the battery with the battery tester, it have 0 issue. The battery distributor told me I am not the first one who encountered this where C&C just any how find way to forcing people to change after find out we didn't buy the battery from them. The battery distributor advised to request C&C to issue official document to prove this is battery issue if that say the same thing to you. Distributor will going to bring this document back to Varta HQ and sue them.

On 09/05/2018 at 1:32 PM, cruize said:

The first battery on my 2015 CLA180 was replaced under its 2 year warranty when it failed on its 16th month. 18 months later, the 2nd battery failed again due to low voltage (I have no other devices like dash cams installed, servicing has always been done with C&C). The 2nd battery came with a warranty sticker stating 2 years warranty with free replacement.

When request for replacement under warranty was put to C&C, they refused stating that since this was a replacement battery, warranty replacement was not possible. An escalation to higher management also came to nought.

Shirking of responsibility was non-transparent without explaining logic of decision, they just attributed it to warranty policy (which was not verbally conveyed or found in paperwork). An intent for escalation to Stuttgart principal was met with an answer that all claims are approved by principal (no way to refute, I will send a mail in German nonetheless).

Am sending in vehicle for extensive electrical check (check with salespersons at MB centre revealed all their late model Benzes exhibit same occurrence of batteries failing before 2 years.) Apparently 2 years warranty coverage amount to no assurance.

All batteries in previous cars (including C180 ML) lasted more than 2 years. Daily commutes involves 20KM+ trips to and fro, fault could hardly be attributed to short trips or bad habits.

Buyers beware.

Actually, 16 + 18 months total 34 months. CnC stated 2 years from new car collection or dunno 30k or 40k KM or how many KM whichever comes first... my aux battery failed within 2 years but exceeded the KM they stated, cant claim. 

if the replacement batteries all fail within 2 years than they will have to keep changing until we scrap the car. The sticker on the battery may comes as a standard from factory. They should have peel it off to avoid future dispute before installation.

you have enjoyed 34 months of so call first battery, i paid to changed mine outside on 2 yrs 3months before it fails as preventive maintenance (i believe many do that) with no issue during servicing in CnC couple years back.(now?)

Posaidon, Their system detected battery issue but is the battery changed  compatible as i think most newer Merc requires AGM batt.

Not siding anyone but personal view.

Yes, Darksaint, all batteries i enquire outside usually comes with only 1 year warranty 

2 hours ago, lks328 said:

Actually, 16 + 18 months total 34 months. CnC stated 2 years from new car collection or dunno 30k or 40k KM or how many KM whichever comes first... my aux battery failed within 2 years but exceeded the KM they stated, cant claim. 

if the replacement batteries all fail within 2 years than they will have to keep changing until we scrap the car. The sticker on the battery may comes as a standard from factory. They should have peel it off to avoid future dispute before installation.

you have enjoyed 34 months of so call first battery, i paid to changed mine outside on 2 yrs 3months before it fails as preventive maintenance (i believe many do that) with no issue during servicing in CnC couple years back.(now?)

Posaidon, Their system detected battery issue but is the battery changed  compatible as i think most newer Merc requires AGM batt.

Yes, Darksaint, all batteries i enquire outside usually comes with only 1 year warranty 

Yes, the battery was exactly identical Varta AGM. This has been verified by Varta distributor  before the replacement. The only different between the OE with the one you get from Varta distributor/dealer is just a merdeces sticker/label. What’s inside is exactly the same.

3 hours ago, lks328 said:

Getting cars from C&C are done at a premium. There is a certain level of service expected for that premium.

If there is a lapse in procedure, then the organization should be responsible for it and rectify/reinforce the procedure if necessary. Not give incoherent answers. Us showing empathy as a consumer doesn’t help to improve service levels, it condones irresponsible behaviour.

Ask yourselves, what did you pay the 15K premium for? For similar answers the PI can give?

18 hours ago, Posaidon said:

I have few battery failed in less than 3 years. Moral of the story, the warranty period cover from the date of purchase (your car) till 2 year regardless of how many time the battery has been replaced in between. When you get from outside normal battery shop, the same battery is only 1 year warranty now (previously it have 2 year warranty when purchase through normal battery shop but now has changed to 1 year which I believe this battery doesn't really last long and the distributor has decided to reduce the warranty period). Battery price from C&C is double the price of normal battery shop, but if you calculate base in 2 year (let say the battery die in 1 year) the price end up to be the same.

When you replaced it from other shop, and drive back to C&C for normal servicing, their computer might throw out error and failed few test. C&C will then find fault on the battery and asking you to change battery again. But if you go to other battery shop to test the battery with the battery tester, it have 0 issue. The battery distributor told me I am not the first one who encountered this where C&C just any how find way to forcing people to change after find out we didn't buy the battery from them. The battery distributor advised to request C&C to issue official document to prove this is battery issue if that say the same thing to you. Distributor will going to bring this document back to Varta HQ and sue them.

Main objective was for them to man up that they made a mistake on sticking a 2 year warranty sticker on every battery. If there are terms and conditions written somewhere, they can also refer the consumer to it. There is none. They should reinforce on this part to prevent understanding.

Regarding finding fault with 3rd party replacement, I can understand that as it opens the Pandora’s box when it comes to addressing issues raised. It is hard to place blame on 3rd party parts even if they are suspect. Best to put down in writing and absolve all responsibility.

The battery was issued by them. Bottom line, apologize they overlooked the matter.

Yes, they should admit their sticker fault instead of....( but Dont think anyone will dare to admit)

Well, $15k diff ($30k for me), take it as the warranty than consumables.

Buying from them is 99.9% wont fly by night. And they have to fulfill all recalls, warranty repairs, etc.(by right but always link the problem to other possiblities and ended up we have to live with it)

Forget it bro, manufacturer unlikely to entertain one car. They usually protect their distributors. (Thats where their revenue comes from.) Moreover, its not warranty issue but wearable parts. Quite tough to argue...

Poisadon, thanks for sharing. Will take note and check it out before changing battery again...