• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

A180 Comfort mode Gear Rev RPM points

Zac

Hi all, 

I am new here, I just got my A180 Style a month ago, and I absolutely love how the interior looks.

But something is bothering me, hoping that the professionals and fellow baby merc drivers here can help to clear my doubt, as for the entire past month, I've been worrying non stop.

Last time I was driving a Honda, and I read that the A180 7G-DCT will not be as smooth, yes indeed, its VERY different.

I went to C&C also and was told the car is normal, but I still feel something is wrong somewhere.

Note my car is at about 37000km mileage, and fully serviced at C&C since day 1.

Here goes:

Normally I drive the car in Comfort mode(C Mode), when I first start the car in the morning, I will wait for about 20 seconds - 40 seconds before I move off. When I first move off from the carpark, I will normally be very light footed, as how my normal driving style is. 

When I am light footed, the gear RPM shift points are very gentle and very smooth, all gears from D1 - D5 changes about less than 2000rpm, about 1800rpm I would say, for D5 - D7, it changes gear even lower rpm. Note when this happens, the car changes gear very smoothly, and almost nothing can be felt, just maybe a VERY SLIGHT lurge, which most cars will do.

Scenario 1: Now, when I hit the road or the expressway, I will accelerate slightly more than in the carpark, but not so much till its like heavy footed, so now, I feel that the car drags the D2 - D3 more, and feel more push, I would think maybe turbo kicks in, not too sure which rpm it comes in. So when this happens, I can totally feel that its like I am driving a manual car, and I am manually clutching in and changing gears, and releasing the clutch, while this happens, the gear changes at very different RPMs, and for my entire trip, or my entire day, the car will perform in the same way, it will rev at this points below:

D1 - D2: 1800RPM, D2 - D5: will AT LEAST reach 2500RPM, D5 - D7: slightly less than 2000RPM. 

Note from D2 : D5, I will feel that "im driving a manual car feeling", and even when I am light footed, the gear will push itself to at least 2500RPM, or 2400RPM before it changes gear, the feeling is like the car is trying its best to achieve that RPM before switching gears, even when I am VERY light footed. I want to know if this is normal or my gearbox has problems? Note this "manual car feeling" is that I feel the lurge forward when it changes gear, imagine driving a fully manual car, and changing gears by clutching in, move your gear, and then releasing clutch and gas pedaling the car.

Scenario 2: When I am going around in a carpark, I can't go fast, and also, sometimes it bothers me, because in D2, it will always try to reach at least 2200-2400RPM before it changes to gear D3, and by the time I need to slow down. At this instance, while I am at D2, and the RPM is around 2000-2200RPM, it will hold at D2, but the moment I release the gas pedal, it will change to D3 while slowing down, is this normal?

Can someone please clear my doubts as I am VERY VERY worried there is something wrong with the car, or even the car's gearbox.

As I do not know any friends who drive a A180, CLA180, or GLA180, I am unable to test another car.

thanks for reading and hope to have some clarification on this soon!

Regards,

Zac

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic