• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W205 C180 Brake & Windscreen

Blueshear

Dear All,

Just gotten my W205 C180 for two weeks but have a couple of uneasiness already. Would like any brudders who have similar cars to share if what the service advisor said is true

1) Brake Noise - Especially when reversing the car and braking and released along the way. Service Advisor said, it is common for C180, as its brakes are free floating and smaller when compared to AMG Lines and C200 onwards

2) Blurred Windscreen When it is raining heavly - Service Advisor said, it is common for untreated windscreen. He mentioned that to drive slowy when there heavy rainfalls. I was dumbfound. Any brudders have similar issues and ways to overcome it? It is a merc quality issue or it is common?

Appreciate feedbacks and advices. Thank you in advance! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Brake noise very subjective. Book a test drive with cnc service centre and let the engineer check on it rather than words from the sales. 

2. Blur when raining due to fog? Think turn on the dehumidifier for front and rear and also lower ur interior air con temperature to prevent fogging. 

Hi Darksaint,

Thanks for replying.

Actually, it the Service Advisor who rejected me outright about the brake noise when I describe to me as given the reason which I have stated. It is a very loud braking noise and I just raised up to the Service Advisor and ask him whether it is caused by new brakes pads, but he said it is permanent as it is a smaller 'floating type' of brake calipers used in C180. That why I wanted to ask if any brudders here driving C180 have the same brake sound. If so, it very very unclass of a merc as the sound is quite loud when you are just braking under slow speed.

The blurred windscreen is not caused by condensation as what I meant is that even with the wipers activated at full speed under heavy rain, the water smears right away on the windscreen without even a second of clear vision. Again Service Advisor said doing a ceramic coating would help the repellency of the water and thus assist the wipers. I was like, a brand new merc still need assistance from some aftermarket chemical to resolve this issue. Hmmm........ 

1. The AMG brakes do have grinding noises ultra slow speeds, known issues. I am not very sure about stock brakes though. I texted my workshop guy earlier to ask about your issue, he just said "some cars do have issues, they will change the brakes and no more issues".

2. I notice Merc wipers slower than some Jap Cars, but having said that even on the slowest setting in non extreme rain, a wipe will clear all water away. Glass cleaners do help. Could be wipers, maybe u can ask them change wipers on goodwill.

2 hours ago, Blueshear said:

Hi Darksaint,

Thanks for replying.

Actually, it the Service Advisor who rejected me outright about the brake noise when I describe to me as given the reason which I have stated. It is a very loud braking noise and I just raised up to the Service Advisor and ask him whether it is caused by new brakes pads, but he said it is permanent as it is a smaller 'floating type' of brake calipers used in C180. That why I wanted to ask if any brudders here driving C180 have the same brake sound. If so, it very very unclass of a merc as the sound is quite loud when you are just braking under slow speed.

The blurred windscreen is not caused by condensation as what I meant is that even with the wipers activated at full speed under heavy rain, the water smears right away on the windscreen without even a second of clear vision. Again Service Advisor said doing a ceramic coating would help the repellency of the water and thus assist the wipers. I was like, a brand new merc still need assistance from some aftermarket chemical to resolve this issue. Hmmm........ 

Happens to most of my previous merc rides too. But it seems after break-in period, the brake sound is gone or reduced. For windscreen, yes, it happens. Take a clay bar and clean up your windscreen.  You should see some improvements. Or let your groomer do it. When you bought your merc (if from Cnc), your car should come with two times free windscreen polish sessions. You can use that.