Fetch

Occasional knocking sound when accelerating

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm driving a 2014 w204 c180. Sometimes my car is having these 2 issues. Help appreciated. Thanks!

1. Especially when driving up slope, sometimes the car will produce this knocking sound (not sure if its from engine or transmission) for a while till gear shift. Only happen once a while. 

2. Sharp jerk when gear change from 2 to 1. Especially when you press on the gas hard on initial and release the pedal. The jerk is quite prominent. 

What RON & brand of petrol are you using?

@jtang. Esso Mobil ron 95.

Knocking is your petrol RON. Use once 98 after every 5 tanks of 95.

Thanks j888. Will try that. btw, RON 95 not suitable for W204?

Generally speaking...RON 95 is sufficient for Merc cars...incl W204. I don't intend to speak ill of oil companies, but sometimes I have my suspicion that particular day in that particular station somehow the petrol could be tainted with lower RON.....particularly in our neighboring country.

So yes...j88 suggestion of using RON98 is a good idea, even better if you alternate the 95 & 98 or stay 98 all the way.

Thanks jtang. I think I got what you meant. btw, do you have any idea what cause my other issue below?

2. Sharp jerk when gear change from 2 to 1. Especially when you press on the gas hard on initial and release the pedal. The jerk is quite prominent. 

Are you referring to the down shift gear shock when it kicks down from 2 to 1? Or are you referring to the throttle lift off jerk at low gear?

Btw, has your car been tuned by some piggyback or remapped by a tuner?

jtang, I'm referring to the downshift gear shock when it kicks down from 2 to 1. Yes, i went for trans flush and ECU remapped before. This issue happens event before the tuning was done.

Try to reset the TCU (transmission control unit).  Should solve the problem. 

Watch this....

Thanks jtang. I've pump RON98 over the weekend. No more knocking so far. Also reset the TCU as per video. Will monitor again. Many thanks bro.

1 person likes this