• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Most Trusted Reliable Merc Workshop?

Meyt

Hi everyone! I'm new here.

As what the title mentioned, I'm searching for the most trusted workshop in Singapore for Merc. 

I'm currently driving an E250 Coupe C207 Model. 

Recently, I was being referred to this workshop (Workshop A) by another Merc group forum. They told me that they were professional and they won't cut your throat. So apparently, I was facing some issues with my car earlier 3 months ago. I went to fix up the camshaft set and had a few other spare parts being replaced. Total bill was $3.2K and before i left, I asked them will there be any potential wear and tear parts that I have to be prepared, they said no and it's good to go.

3 months later, I suddenly couldn't start my engine, I opened my bonnet and noticed that my battery has died and eventually realized that my starter also became faulty. I got my car towed to Workshop A and after a few hours, the Ops Manager called and the first thing he told me was "Hi boss! Your car mounting has worn out, your turbo pipe, coolant pipe is leaking, your oil filter gasket needs to be replaced, etc.". I was like, "hold on... I thought you are supposed to fix up on my starter and battery?". So i asked him, "it has only been 3 months and before i got my car fixed you said there isn't any potential issues, but why suddenly so many problems in a period of 3 months?". He simply answered "Wear and tear boss, we cannot avoid one" I retorted "Bro, i don't drive this car that often, even if i drive, it is usually involves very short distances, how can it wear and tear so fast?". So told me that this kind of thing is very unpredictable and a lot of things can happen within 3 months blah blah blah...

So i asked him about the price and he quote me the full price of all the repairs and replacements, "around $2k plus $3k". WAIT! What an answer from an ops manager! (YOU CAN USE YOUR CALCULATOR TO CALCULATE THE FIGURES YET YOU CAN'T GIVE ME AN EXACT FIGURE?!?). Eventually, I told him to just fix up my car battery and starter will do, he quoted me $600 plus including tow and labour. Furthermore, he said he cannot finish it by today and i will have to collect my car the next day afternoon. (Then who ask you backside itchy go check my whole car? Nobody ask you to check yet. If they didn't check perhaps they could complete the job by today.)

Here's my take:

Firstly, when i picked up his call, he did not go straight to the point, instead he went on telling me grandmother stories on my mounting, leakage etc.

Secondly, when I replied him, his answer is so typical salesman. (Erm i'm also a sales person by the way)

Thirdly, he couldn't give me a good explanation about the 3 months period issue and went on telling how unpredictable car parts can be within 3 months. (Yeah i wasn't satisfied with his answer at all, as it makes no sense to me)

Fourthly, he used the word "around" for the quotation. Is that how you give your existing customer a quotation? 

Lastly, it is totally unprofessional of a workshop that did not preempt the customer that there will be a potential wear and tear on parts based on previous diagnosis, instead whenever I go to the workshop, there is always a surprise element in it. Billing is always amounted to $2k plus to $3k plus. 

Honestly, I find this workshop too shady and seems like they are after your money by up-selling to you more repairs, adding more numbers into you total bill. I'm totally disappointed with their service as they do not display professionalism in their work. Worse of all, it was introduced by another Merc group forum and they assured me that they won't anyhow "Tai" people.

I will be thankful and appreciative that if any of you guys could recommend me a workshop that is very reliable and won't anyhow tell grandmother stories or up-sell you with new unjustified repairs?

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for your info!

If only my engine can start. I would have gone to enquire different quotation from different work shop.

Now its stuck at that workshop and I've no choice but to get them to fix the starter and battery. 

I remember the mechanic told me that the towing to that workshop which is quite a close distance costs around $40-$60. If tomorrow afternoon they flip prata and charge me higher, they are gonna get it from me.  

It's always good for a workshop to practice their job professionally. Ethics and trust is very important if they want to maintain a long term relationship with customers. If they want to "Tai" a customer in a different manner, be prepared to lose a whole entire chain of customers in future.