• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Vibration on D

pmet

My CLA is having a weird behavior and I'm not sure if it's attributed to the DCT. At the traffic lights where the car is stationary, and when D is still engaged, there will be a prominent vibration coming from the engine bay. At times, the vibration will be strong enough to cause a mini earthquake on the bonnet cover. I'm usually very gentle on the brakes and use just enough pressure on the brakes to stop the car and to keep the car stationary. I notice if I press harder on the brakes, the vibration will be greatly reduced. My usual braking pattern is as such that if I lift the brake just slightly the car will inch forward. Is this normal or a sign of engine mounting or DCT failing?

It is absolutely normal. I brake exactly like how you describe and realized that vibration, which disappears when I depress the brake harder. It is likely the DCT still trying to engage the creep mode because the brake has not been depressed beyond a certain point. Initially, I also encountered this when shifting to reverse after a stop but would get the message "Depress Brake to engage reverse" or something like that.

Thanks unkle for confirming that I'm not alone facing this issue. I guess it could be left alone unless the vibration gets worse, or if it gets louder. Currently, it just vibrates and makes a very low but soft rumbling noise. I get the "Depress brake" message on reverse pretty often too. I read somewhere that creeping is bad for DCT. I happened to be stuck in a 2hr jam at the causeway and the vibration was worse. It went back to normal as soon as the car cooled down.

So now I just train my foot to be heavier which is also good for acceleration.. haha

On 12/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, pmet said:

My CLA is having a weird behavior and I'm not sure if it's attributed to the DCT. At the traffic lights where the car is stationary, and when D is still engaged, there will be a prominent vibration coming from the engine bay. At times, the vibration will be strong enough to cause a mini earthquake on the bonnet cover. I'm usually very gentle on the brakes and use just enough pressure on the brakes to stop the car and to keep the car stationary. I notice if I press harder on the brakes, the vibration will be greatly reduced. My usual braking pattern is as such that if I lift the brake just slightly the car will inch forward. Is this normal or a sign of engine mounting or DCT failing?

How old & what's the mileage of your car?  If it's 3 yrs or older & mileage is about 50k km....check your engine & GB mounts.  They need to be replaced. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, pmet said:

Only 7000KM and less than 6 months! I too thought it was a GB/Engine mounting problem but the age of the car just doesn't add up.

Not when the engine restart vibrate due to start/stop I suppose. 

Same issue when in sports mode? Try not to inch forward very slowly often with DCT. 

On 30/01/2018 at 5:16 AM, pmet said:

Only 7000KM and less than 6 months! I too thought it was a GB/Engine mounting problem but the age of the car just doesn't add up.

If your car is 6 months old, why dun you get it checked out by the agent? Anyway, I drive A200 and yes it creeps if i lift off the brakes.  And I have been caught in 1 hr plus jam at tuas but didn't experience the rumbling "earthquake". I occasionally put in N when caught tuas jam 

When you said creep do you mean there is a slight vibration? Similar to driving a manual car where you're SLOW in disengaging the clutch (fully depressing the clutch pedal) at a stop, and the engine rattles and threatens to shut off. Do anyone of you feel it?

One thing you can try and I can always reproduce the issue by slowing down before a hump (those bigger ones and not those small killer ones) to almost a stop and making sure the transmission is still in D2, then allow it to creep up the hump. While climbing, you should hear the engine or transmission rattle. Is this normal?