• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Engine warning light

2016B180

Anyone has this problem? Engine warning light appears and off after change car remote battery but it light up again after 3 weeks, few days later its auto off again. 

Just to share my recent experience with Service center.

• Called on 6/12 but earliest can send car in on 11/12 at MBC, Eunos full till 21/12
  • Car sent in, but the Sentry test cannot be detected from Advisor screen on her desk, need workshop to advise, car need to leave with service center. Will update me next day 5-6pm!
  • I Call back next day around 3pm to check, was asked to let them check and get back to me. Return my call and said cannot collect car, I asked what the problem. Said let them check again.
  • Return call and say battery to weak cannot do test, need change my battery before check other test. Battery will cost $400++
  • My car less than 2 yrs, battery spoiled? Car is original state did not do any modification. Answer to me is that the battery only warranty for 2 yrs or 30000 km, my mileages is 39000 so no more warranty.
  • I insist to collect my car and change battery with outside workshop which is min. 40-50% cheaper. Since MB only warranty mileage less than what i have traveled.  I will monitor myself on the warning light, will book another service if it appears again.
  • Do not understand, such a big AD service center don’t have spare battery to do engine test, insist I need to change battery before carry out other test!!!
  • Advisor later called again to apologize and said their workshop had do the check and said my car is under Recall and they had done the necessary changes so I do not need to send the car to service center if I received the Recall letter.  (this after i complaint if car sitting there without any proper check/repair, i want my car back)

no idea!!! Advisor asked whether I received recall letter, i said NO. then tell me they make the changes and do not need to go back if received the letter. dont even know what they have changed!!!! Advisor said letters are sending out in batches. yet to receive!  

13 hours ago, 2016B180 said:

no idea!!! Advisor asked whether I received recall letter, i said NO. then tell me they make the changes and do not need to go back if received the letter. dont even know what they have changed!!!! Advisor said letters are sending out in batches. yet to receive!  

I think the recall is related to this. (See below)  Mine is Sept 2016 A200. I had mine done sometime in october. They installed a fuse to prevent "overload".

Manufacturer Recall Date
15 Aug 2017
Estimated Completion Year of Recall
Brief Description (As Provided by Motor Dealer)
The starting current limiter could be overloaded during the starting procedure under certain conditions. If the starter was blocked due to previous damage (e.g. engine damage due to water ingestion damage), an extremely high electric current would flow through the starting current limiter during the next starting procedure
Date Rectified
-
For more details, contact DAIMLER SOUTH EAST ASIA PTE. LTD.
Hotline Information
CYCLE & CARRIAGE CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTRE 

3 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Hope it all works out!

Mine is done... but strangely I think the current recall by C&C was a result of a global recall initiated in March 2017. If I am not wrong, I think there is another global recall by Daimler, in sept 2017, relating to "accidental deployment" of air bags. Apparently needs re-wiring. So we may yet receive another letter in 6 months time😞

After I changed my battery to Korean brand type. So far so good. So far No engine warning light. Hope it is all because of weak battery. 

Weak battery will cause the auto start stop stop working too. Before I sent my car to Eunos for servicing, the auto start stop is working fine. But after they sort out my sudden acceleration issue, the engine start stop never works after I collected back my car. 

Hope the car work all fine from now. 

On 12/23/2017 at 6:22 PM, 2016B180 said:

After I changed my battery to Korean brand type. So far so good. So far No engine warning light. Hope it is all because of weak battery. 

Weak battery will cause the auto start stop stop working too. Before I sent my car to Eunos for servicing, the auto start stop is working fine. But after they sort out my sudden acceleration issue, the engine start stop never works after I collected back my car. 

the wrong battery will cause the start stop never works. but everything works fine.

On 23/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, 2016B180 said:

I think our cars use Varta AGM 70Ah, 760Amps. It is almost like "deep cycle" battery. It has high amps for the start/stop function.  If you don't use the start/stop function,  I guess any battery is ok.

I had "sudden acceleration" sometime in early 2017 like you.  Mine sept 16 A200. They "re-downloaded" ecu software and also claimed my battery was weak, but it was replaced foc. So far so good after the re-map🤞

42 minutes ago, petetherock said:

When did they replace your battery? Any criteria?

I think it was 6 months after I took delivery of the car.  I had intermittent low speed "sudden acceleration". I sent the car in for "sudden acceleration". They re-mapped and changed battery under warranty. If you want precise dates, I can check. But approx 6 months after delivery. C&C claimed battery tested and it was weak. 

• Like 1

My batt was original batt from MB. Yes MB used Varta. This Korean brand batt is deep cycle batt too. Anyway Varta died off so fast so it doesn’t matter what brand to use. And no warranty from MB if change with other workshop so Varta no Varta it is ok for me as long as it serve the job. My friend intro many to conti car user so far no bad feedback .

when I complaint about the sudden acceleration they only said it will be ok after software upgrade. It was slightly more than a year, I endured the flaw till 2nd service because the 1st service I selected express service and they don’t entertain other request during express servicing. 

9 minutes ago, 2016B180 said:

My batt was original batt from MB. Yes MB used Varta. This Korean brand batt is deep cycle batt too. 

when I complaint about the sudden acceleration they only said it will be ok after software upgrade. It was slightly more than a year, I endured the flaw till 2nd service because the 1st service I selected express service and they don’t entertain other request during express servicing. 

Do you mind telling me what brand the battery is? If it has the same specs, I don't mind trying the battery.

Oh wow!, you could have changed the setvice  in the spot.  Collect m, say, at 5pm. Give them enouf time to service and re-map. I sent on specifically for the "sudden acceleration" as I thought it was "dangerous" as I didn't know when the car would surge forward... after it occurred 3 times during a month, i bookef add sent it in.  C&C crap, initially asked me if I used original floormats.. fortunately I was, otherwise they would have told me it was floormats! I was annoyed and i think the SA knew it.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just to update. Done my 45k servicing. with air con chem wash and grooming. not incl any extra like engine flush, additives, tyre rotation etc.

Engine light was solved, it was found out in 1st day in workshop. Thanks to Advisor Kelvin from Eunos, managed to get the workshop to find out the it was the camshaft sensor not up to spec. it was changed under warranty. 

I was overseas and he whatsapp me only 2-3 hrs after he pick up my case and inform me part will be sent in on 2nd day. He also ask me to monitor the brake pad (25%) and wiper blade is too hard. 

I am satisfied with the service! Finally solved. 

• Like 1