• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W205 Brake Disc and Brake Pads Replacement

Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and would like to seek advice on the SOP tests recommended by MB for brake discs and pads replacement.

Are all tests measured and manually recorded or are there standard ways to measure the dics and pads to determine whether they should be replaced?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Cheers

Jacqueline 

You can actually look at the thickness of the brake pad. The choice is yours. You can replace it when is down to 2-3mm or wait for the sensors alarm. Usually you don't have to replace the rotor. The brake pads should last you 30k to 50k depending on your driving. Mine the alarm came on at around 54k. You can replace it at any workshop. If is after warranty you can consider using dust free pads. Full set of brake pads + sensors will cost you +/- $400.00 - $600.00 

• Like 1

The reason why I am asking is because I was advised by C&C to replace both brake discs and pads (my mileage is approx. 42Km). When the report came back, the thickness was noted as >50%. I questioned C&C why they replace the pads when it is more than 50% thickness. To cut story short, they initially claimed that the input of > 50% was an error as the checklist results were all pre replacement checks and that only brake pad measurements were post replacement. Thereafter, they claim the report was a final report. So I asked what were the standard procedures and how they arrive at the % thickness indicated in the report. I was told it is all visual and no measurements were taken. They only depend on sensor coming on and the mechanic will look visually to determine how many percent of the brake pads were left compared to original brake pad thickness. I was bewildered how the mechanic can determine thickness percentage visually and whether is that a standard procedure by MB? Anyone can claim 10% or 50% since there is no recorded proof for charging me SGD2K for the replacement

• 3 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 4:57 PM, Furrytwinstar said:

The reason why I am asking is because I was advised by C&C to replace both brake discs and pads (my mileage is approx. 42Km). When the report came back, the thickness was noted as >50%. I questioned C&C why they replace the pads when it is more than 50% thickness. To cut story short, they initially claimed that the input of > 50% was an error as the checklist results were all pre replacement checks and that only brake pad measurements were post replacement. Thereafter, they claim the report was a final report. So I asked what were the standard procedures and how they arrive at the % thickness indicated in the report. I was told it is all visual and no measurements were taken. They only depend on sensor coming on and the mechanic will look visually to determine how many percent of the brake pads were left compared to original brake pad thickness. I was bewildered how the mechanic can determine thickness percentage visually and whether is that a standard procedure by MB? Anyone can claim 10% or 50% since there is no recorded proof for charging me SGD2K for the replacement

Same experience. SA called and say less than 20% and need to change at my 60k servicing. After changing, I checked my 15k 30k 45k record and all reported front brake is >50%. 90% of my mileage is on expressway and seldom use frequent hard braking. I personally suspect must be they have some sort of "parts sales quota" to meet. Next time I shall ask then to send photograph before ask them to change. 

There is no point asking them to show photos as you will not be able to tell if it is a picture of your car brakes. I did that post replacement, and they "miraculously" managed to send me the photo claiming that they usually do not keep the replaced parts saved for mine. They claim that the Xentry test only shows the parameters on monitor but do not retain the data for review purpose.So, In short, we are at their mercy when it comes to replacement advice. If your car is under warranty and you do not replace parts as per their recommendation, they will indicate in their report that warranty is void if you replace those items elsewhere. I would not go back to them after my credits are used up and warranty is over. But for now, just have to bear with their senseless replacement recommendation. Wrote to MB in Germany, only reply I get is to get in touch with the local dealer C&C after waiting for 3 weeks for a reply. A big disappointment. No more MB for me after this.

To Cut short, its better to have some basic car knowledge so that agent/workshops don't get to smoke u

Rule of thumb for brakepad, best is to use Mercedes Original parts so your car wear & tear alarm still continue to works in sync. I only change my pads when the alarm lights up, else when I'm going for a roadtrip then I will get it replace with a visual inspection. 

As for rotors they rlly don't have to be replaced... most rotors are good for 2-3 pads replacement which is at the least 100k-150k km. And even so some would be fine with skimping. once again. you'll will be able to visually inspect how much your rotors have been worn down. 

As for warranty being void for not replacing certain part with them. thats weird, cos I have never experience that. Ever since my first brake pad/rotor replacement with them.. I have never went back to replace any wear&tear part with C&C but went to stockist to get it done. most of the time 50% or lesser than what C&C charge me. Yet they didn't void my warranty. But I do know that warranty would be invalid once you exceeded the next 60k w/o servicing with them. 

Brake pads wear depend on the driving style. Based on my experience last with W204 it can last me 60k before alarm comes out but rotor need to be replaced too.  Cost 2k in CnC down time 2 days 🖕but my car is already out of warranty so I did it out side with original part. I was shown that the rotor is worn out beyond marking point, so I decided to replace it too total cost 1k for rotor, brake pads and sensor down time 4 hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

C&C is always asking owners to change discs, not just pads. Unless you drive hard, there is no need to change discs. In the cars of yesteryear, we change discs when the brake pads finish and start scraping the discs. Yo can hear metal screeching sounds when this happens. With sensors, this does not happen anymore. Anyway, I have gone through 3 brake pad changes (for 160,000km) and for the recent change, paid $550 for both rear brake pads and rear discs. Did it at Bukit Merah. Mine is 2010 W212 E-class. Go to outside workshops the moment your warranty at C&C ends. You will save a bundle.

Hi bros, any recommendation to:

1. Buy parts (See most bros say Goldenlink)

2. Most importantly, which workshop to do which only charge labour cost?

I am at 50,000KM for my w205 and my discs seems to have squeaking sound and slight vibration. I only just change the pads hence I believe it's the disc.

5 minutes ago, jasonbwy said:

I am at 50,000KM for my w205 and my discs seems to have squeaking sound and slight vibration. I only just change the pads hence I believe it's the disc.

Parts can buy from Goldenlink/ min hoe or PAS auto. 

U may call the listed workshop to check which can allow bring own parts. I know MBM can. 

4 hours ago, jasonbwy said:

What pads did you change? MB original? I know some pads will squeak too. 50000km seems a little early to change disc. Maybe you can consider skimming them if it's really the discs?

Pads were from Chip Soon which I believe to be MB original. I brought it to them to check after a week and they said that the disc needs to be changed to prevent squeaking. 

I read that skimming doesn’t really help?

i was looking at buying from a stockist and paying labour but Chip Soon doesn’t allow BYOP. Any suggestions bros I’m open to hear

The last time I bought parts from Goldenlink @ Sin Ming and ask for workshop recommendation.

They recommend a workshop at the 1st Level, Technic something. Lots of BM and Merc there. They don't have slots for me so didn't change with them.

For pads, i using ATE brake pad, quite ok, best thing is not much dust compare to original.

• Like 1