• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Wheels on W213 E250

Merc Fan

Most sports car like my previous Toyota mrs and lotus Elise are armed with stagged rims as default. these cars are mid-engine and rear wheel drive. The stagged setup helps to mitigate the tail (aka rear) of the car to swing out too much or rather, makes it easier to control the car in certain situations. Not sure why a sedan car like the e class needs it. Only thing that I can think of now is because the e class is also a rear wheel drive car and thus, makes it easier to control the car with a stagged setup.

If you go for the Mercedes Amg experience drive, you'll learn how to appreciate a stagged rim setup and wider rear wheels; especially so on wet, sandy or oily surfaces. The staggered setup maybe a life saver for rear wheel drive cars.

"Power is of no use if there is no control"

just my 2 cents...

1 hour ago, tzehou said:

Most sports car like my previous Toyota mrs and lotus Elise are armed with stagged rims as default. these cars are mid-engine and rear wheel drive. The stagged setup helps to mitigate the tail (aka rear) of the car to swing out too much or rather, makes it easier to control the car in certain situations. Not sure why a sedan car like the e class needs it. Only thing that I can think of now is because the e class is also a rear wheel drive car and thus, makes it easier to control the car with a stagged setup.

Based on what  you say, staggered wheels do have some usefulness and provide a safety feature for the driver. I think C&C should have staggered wheels for all the rear wheel drive cars.

Negligible effect. Just aesthetics. The only difference you will feel is probably turning radius become bigger.

If you want to change to staggered config, do it for aesthetics reasons. If you do it for safety or performance reasons, you will not feel any significant difference. 

For performsnce cars we can go into endless debates whether staggered config is necessary, with strong proponents on both sides. But for our non-AMG W213, there is no need to waste time debating. It's just aesthetics. 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 4:46 PM, swissfondue said:

Negligible effect. Just aesthetics. The only difference you will feel is probably turning radius become bigger.

If you want to change to staggered config, do it for aesthetics reasons. If you do it for safety or performance reasons, you will not feel any significant difference. 

For performsnce cars we can go into endless debates whether staggered config is necessary, with strong proponents on both sides. But for our non-AMG W213, there is no need to waste time debating. It's just aesthetics. 

I wonder if the rims on the E250 is more expensive than those on the E200? So far the prices on the various rims are not listed on the Mercedes website.

1 hour ago, Merc Fan said:

I wonder if the rims on the E250 is more expensive than those on the E200? So far the prices on the various rims are not listed on the Mercedes website.

The rims on the E200 AVG is 266.18 euros per piece and the rims on the E250 AVG is 332.85 euros per piece.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, swissfondue said:

The rims on the E200 AVG is 266.18 euros per piece and the rims on the E250 AVG is 332.85 euros per piece.

So the rims of E250 is about 66 euros more than those on the E200. That translates to about SG$106 per rim. Since the difference is so minimal, don't you think C&C should differentiate the different models more by using more expensive rims? :o

• Like 1

On 03/09/2017 at 5:47 PM, Merc Fan said:

So the rims of E250 is about 66 euros more than those on the E200. That translates to about SG$106 per rim. Since the difference is so minimal, don't you think C&C should differentiate the different models more by using more expensive rims? :o

MercE250_W213-cover.jpg.fdbe67739d6a59885f50dd5b5390dcdc.jpg

The malaysia spec e250 exclusive rims is much better looking imo. 

On 8/31/2017 at 10:08 PM, Merc Fan said:

Hi bros,

Why are the wheels on E250 staggered whereas those on E200 not? What is the reason for having staggered wheels? :huh:

My guess is that C&C wants to create more differentiation between E200 and E250. Upselling from E200 to E250 based on different engine specs alone is not enough. They need to create more talking points for the SEs to upsell. 

There will be people who placed higher value on non-engine related features and sometimes, rightly so. Aesthetics is one of them. I love the staggered look and rims on the E250 but not the long display with the Comand system. 

14 hours ago, Merc888 said:

My guess is that C&C wants to create more differentiation between E200 and E250. Upselling from E200 to E250 based on different engine specs alone is not enough. They need to create more talking points for the SEs to upsell. 

There will be people who placed higher value on non-engine related features and sometimes, rightly so. Aesthetics is one of them. I love the staggered look and rims on the E250 but not the long display with the Comand system. 

Yes, you are right. Aesthetic is important. I am attracted by the look too but E250 AVG is so expensive :(

15 hours ago, Merc888 said:

Would you can modify your E200 to look like E250 like changing the rim?

7 hours ago, Merc Fan said:

Would you can modify your E200 to look like E250 like changing the rim?

I would but it is not my immediate priority for mod. I have decided to focus on getting a good audio system instead as I spend more time listening than looking at my rims. 

Also.. I have to go in and out of narrorw carparks quite often.... kena curb rash will be that much more painful. So I decided to only change the rims after the tyres are worn. A good sound system has a longer wow factor for my passengers and me and not subjected to curb rash. :) But that is just me. 

2 hours ago, Merc888 said:

I would but it is not my immediate priority for mod. I have decided to focus on getting a good audio system instead as I spend more time listening than looking at my rims. 

Also.. I have to go in and out of narrorw carparks quite often.... kena curb rash will be that much more painful. So I decided to only change the rims after the tyres are worn. A good sound system has a longer wow factor for my passengers and me and not subjected to curb rash. :) But that is just me. 

Yes you are right. The E200AVG's four wheels are the same size. So the rear tyres are not not wider like those in E250AVG. 

What kind of sound system are you upgrading to?

21 hours ago, Merc Fan said:

Yes you are right. The E200AVG's four wheels are the same size. So the rear tyres are not not wider like those in E250AVG. 

What kind of sound system are you upgrading to?

I am still shopping around. Looking at Focal+ 2 amps + subwoofers. But I just found out that there is an airbag in the A-frame. So need to find out more how to go about achieving the sound quality that I like. 

• 4 weeks later...