• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

How long does your engine stop?

Duane

Hello. I just retired my A-Class took delivery of a new B-Class (W246) First time for me to have an engine start stop feature.

At red lights I find the engine goes off, but restarts by itself after only around 10 to 15 seconds. Seems like a very short time and not sure this saves much fuel.

I find it stops for longer if I turn off the aircon, but in our local weather it's not really practical to be fiddling with the air-con on/off.

In your experience, how long is it normal for the engine to stop for? Any tips to make the engine stop for longer before restarting?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the W246 bro :)

TBH, I don't know if it's a good idea to keep using the start stop - it uses up the battery and unless the amount of petrol saved costs more than the cost of battery replacement, it's not worth it.

If you have a lot of electronics on, the internal battery may not be able to sustain all the devices drawing power, so the engine must switch on. Ultimately you and only you will know if it's such a great feature. I personally turn it off each time I start my car. 

i always disable it first thing after i start the engine. reasons stated in other post.

but for your info, on a very very cool day (~24deg) it lasted 45 seconds. engine started before light turned green.

without aircon, it lasted for a very long time.

Thanks for the warm welcome and sharing your experience with the start stop feature.
I was hoping it would make a difference when stuck in a long queue at the causeway going to Malaysia.
But perhaps it is more suitable for cold countries where the aircon load is lower and the engine stays off for longer.

It's a bit troublesome the car doesn't remember if start stop was turned off and defaults to enabled at each start up.
Similarly the aircon keeps trying to take in outdoor air - dangerous to often look down and set it back to recycled air.
My old A-Class did that too, but the B-Class seems to filter the air less and the odour of exhaust fumes is stronger.

Apart from these minor issues, quite enjoying it so far!

12 hours ago, Duane said:

Thanks for the warm welcome and sharing your experience with the start stop feature.
I was hoping it would make a difference when stuck in a long queue at the causeway going to Malaysia.
But perhaps it is more suitable for cold countries where the aircon load is lower and the engine stays off for longer.

It's a bit troublesome the car doesn't remember if start stop was turned off and defaults to enabled at each start up.
Similarly the aircon keeps trying to take in outdoor air - dangerous to often look down and set it back to recycled air.
My old A-Class did that too, but the B-Class seems to filter the air less and the odour of exhaust fumes is stronger.

Apart from these minor issues, quite enjoying it so far!

If you are talking about the huge jams crossing the causeway, you will kill the battery in no time bro!

In Europe, the start stop function works fine, because they travel large distances in between. Here, you can use it a few times in a single short trip. 

Over in the introductions section I have posted links to some simple additions and mods which I did. Enjoy and do read the manual, cheers :)